Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The founder of notorious Chinese cracking forum 3DM is warning that given the current state of anti-piracy technology, in two years there might be no more pirate games to play. The claims come after attempts to breach the Denuvo security protecting Just Cause 3 pushed the group's cracking expert to breaking point.

Just Cause 3 uses the latest iteration of Denuvo, an anti-tamper technology developed by Denuvo Software Solutions GmbH. While its secrets are best known to its creators, Denuvo is a secondary encryption system which protects existing and underlying DRM products.

In 2014 the product made the headlines after successfully protecting Dragon Age: Inquisition for almost a month, a very respectable time in cracking circles.

In the end it was Chinese cracking group 3DM that brought down that instance of Denuvo but the Austria-based company continued to tweak and achieved increasing protection periods on recent games in the FIFA series. FIFA 16 is currently Denuvo protected and that game still hasn't been cracked, despite being released in September.

In a posting on her blog, 3DM forum founder 'Bird Sister' (also known as Phoenix) has revealed the frustrations being experienced with Just Cause 3.

"Recently, many people have asked about cracks for 'Just Cause 3′, so here is a centralized answer to this question. The last stage is too difficult and Jun [cracking guy] nearly gave up, but last Wednesday I encouraged him to continue," Bird Sister explains.
https://torrentfreak.com/no-more-pirate-games-in-two-years-group-warns-160106/

·
Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B
800 Posts
If there is a will there is a way. There is no DRM that cant be cracked/bypassed....
wink.gif

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Fine by me.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
No more cracks.. that is, if every company choses Denuvo as protection. Also, do not forget that protecting the software has also a limit, which it starts to give headaches to legit users (ref. Rainbow Six Vegas I)

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdtigger View Post

If there is a will there is a way. There is no DRM that cant be cracked/bypassed....
wink.gif
Agreed, But hopefully this will allow games to run their course and are not pirated during their prime selling periods.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,862 Posts

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Good to hear.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post

Agreed, But hopefully this will allow games to run their course and are not pirated during their prime selling periods.
This
thumb.gif

Denuvo seems like a major pain in the behind though. For each successful crack they make it a little more complicated, making it more and more difficult to bypass.
Which I think in the end makes it so difficult that the time and money invested to make the crack happen could lead to the game never cracked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post

No more cracks.. that is, if every company choses Denuvo as protection. Also, do not forget that protecting the software has also a limit, which it starts to give headaches to legit users (ref. Rainbow Six Vegas I)
Why wouldnt they if it scares the crackers away? Havent heard any complaints about Denuvo anywhere. Looks legit

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Lol no more cracks in 2 years? it took them 6 months to crack Battlefield Hardline and that still doesn't work right, Just Cause 3 still isn't cracked right, FIFA they've had a hard time cracking for the last few years...

Just sayin.

Edit, I wont expect big games this year like Mafia 3, Deus Ex etc. to be any easier to crack.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm so glad. I thought it said no more pirate games.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Really makes you wonder why developers spend such huge amount of money on DRM solutions though is a month is considered respectable time to be secure. It just creates way more headaches than it is worth. I want to go back to a simple serial key. lol

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Really makes you wonder why developers spend such huge amount of money on DRM solutions though is a month is considered respectable time to be secure. It just creates way more headaches than it is worth. I want to go back to a simple serial key. lol
So does every cheap ass pirate in the world.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

It actually makes sense - the biggest sales for any title will be at its launch. Ensuring there's a month-long window where pirated copies are unavailable ensures anyone who wants the game during the time of greatest hype will need to buy it.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindwurm View Post

It actually makes sense - the biggest sales for any title will be at its launch. Ensuring there's a month-long window where pirated copies are unavailable ensures anyone who wants the game during the time of greatest hype will need to buy it.
That's what I was thinking. AAA games make most of their real sales in that first month. Every day you can keep it out of the hands of pirates is likely a lot of extra revenue.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

I have played a ton of games over the years and have honestly had zero issues with any DRM...
I completely agree.

I also hope this DRM "success"continues.

·
User
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdtigger View Post

wink.gif
Yeah but you need time and resources...time is money and resources aren't free.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
As long as the DRM system in place is not impacting performance of the game I fully welcome this.

But to be honest I don't think this is going to be a huge financial increase in money for anyone, because If I am not mistaken most games that are pirated are pirated from countries where it is nearly impossible for the average person to afford games anyways.

The reality is probably that only a very small amount of people who actually pirate games are "lost customers".

Pirating has become much less of a problem lately. Steam and other digital distrubutors are doing a good job with accessibility (is that even the right word for it?).

·
Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

Yeah but you need time and resources...and they aren't free.
Im well aware of that...
wink.gif
But there will be always a team who takes the challenge and cracks it anyway
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 229 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.