Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, i have been working on a Toshiba Laptop L300 for the last few days now.

Originally the laptop was bought to me for being slow, not responding etc. I have upgraded the ram from 1GB to 2GB (Running Vista), and done a few other little things like Msconfigs etc etc.

I returned the laptop as it was a hell of a lot more quicker and seemed to have had done the trick.

A week later she call me back saying the laptop was still really slow. I took the laptop back of her and as she said the laptop is horribly slow!

I have run MemTestx86 for over 5 hours with no reported faults, and i have also tested the Hard Drive with Hitachi HDD Test with no reported faults

So i decided to reinstall windows. Installed windows/drivers/updates and then i noticed this;

HOWEVER

I am adamant that the fault is Hard Drive related! - I would say 2/5 boots the laptop will display

" A disc Read error has occured "
Press CTRL-ALT-Delete to restart "

Turn it off again, it might boot - but still exceptionally slow.

Is there any tools i can use other than the Hitachi Drive Fitness test to establish if the hard drive is faulty?

Any other recommendations

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Two other options that come to mind: HDTune for SMART data and a surface scan and/or Spinrite for a more "professional" diagnostic and fixing if needed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp
View Post

Two other options that come to mind: HDTune for SMART data and a surface scan and/or Spinrite for a more "professional" diagnostic and fixing if needed.

You know what i completely forgot about SpinRite (Happens to have it on a pendrive beside me :/)

Good effort. I'll post back.

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Hard drive is probably the culprit, my L305D came with one that had a huge cluster of bad sectors, and the one in my A135 that I just broke has bad sectors on it as well

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by raidmaxGuy
View Post

Hard drive is probably the culprit, my L305D came with one that had a huge cluster of bad sectors, and the one in my A135 that I just broke has bad sectors on it as well

Hard Drive tested in spinrite under Level 3 (read and write) completed 100%, no problems.

I just cannot think what the problem could be!!

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,395 Posts
I blame Vista.

Might be a memory problem too.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere
View Post

I blame Vista.

Might be a memory problem too.

We all blame vista, however on this occasian i can't help but think it's not! Only because of this error

" A disc Read error has occured "
Press CTRL-ALT-Delete to restart "

And i have tested the memory for over 6 hours in Memtest86X

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Lol when I worked in IT Support, I used to love getting the toshiba laptops back...

My way of fixing them was; Replace hard drive > install windows > USB Sata information across > win

They are just so annoying to fix sometimes

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtMunky
View Post

Lol when I worked in IT Support, I used to love getting the toshiba laptops back...

My way of fixing them was; Replace hard drive > install windows > USB Sata information across > win

They are just so annoying to fix sometimes

Tell me about it. But surely if the hard drive can pass more than one pass of HDD Fitness test, and Spinrite then the HDD can't be at fault.

Besides, i can't charge the customer for a new HDD when the old one i don't think is at fault.

The most annoying issue is Toshiba having OEM Vista keys that won't work on a majority of windows discs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts