Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically the company i work for has 3 laptops on the road guys use for programming things. the one in question is a toshiba satellite. they are a bit older no built in wifi cards or anything so i dont think they go on the internet but im not sure really what they do with them . Anyway guy comes in from the road says the laptop dont work asks for a password all of a sudden.

Turn it it on it hangs at the splash screen for about a minute then prompts for pass word. all it says on the screen is "HDD password="
i dont know it and dont believe there ever was one . I havent found much on the subject no good advice at least.

What do you guys think are my best options with this. It kinda reminds me of when i screwed around with xboxes you could lock unlock the hard drive in situations . Is this the same thing ? Ive read its a bad drive , or virus did it, I just want to ask and see what you guys think. Its not a BIOS password I can get in there just fine. just wanted to mention.

Please give me some suggestions rep +

·
Registered
239 Posts
interesting , google spit this out : ( first relevant result ) http://www.asklaptopfreak.com/laptop...-hdd-password/

quote : "Prevented the message asking for HDD password when there is a problem with the HDD". In other words, if there is a problem with your hard drive, the laptop might ask you about the hard drive password even if you didn't set it up. Go to Toshiba tech support website, update the BIOS on your laptop and see if you can bypass the HDD password message.

edit : further searching results / all seem to indicate a possible failed / failing hdd .

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems im not soo lucky, The latest firmware i can find for this machine seems to be 1.40 and i did flash it just now only to realize it was already running 1.40.

itswierd though i the model 1415-s173 didnt come up in the normal download section so im hoping maybe there is a newer one available idk. maybe someone can search better than me I hope ,lol

Thanks 96 Looks like it is probably the same thing goin on, which does say i guess the drive has an issue but i think its moreso a bug with the system bios and would rather correct that then spend money ...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooping^fish View Post
Sounds like a BIOS pass. I set them on my computers, too.

Little boy who cried virus

Man you need help with reading comprehension. Quit trolling . keep useless comments to yourself please, if i could i would - rep you thanks for the bump i guess.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
IIRC I can set a bios password, and a HDD password that asks for the password everytime the laptop finishes POST. It's one of the bios settings. I have a Satellite X205-SLI6 So I don't know exactly if it is the same thing. I'll check later to see if I'm right or If I'm going crazy

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinbonz View Post
Man you need help with reading comprehension. Quit trolling . keep useless comments to yourself please, if i could i would - rep you thanks for the bump i guess.
Oh, really? It was a legitimate answer. Im sorry your competence fails to see this.
Half the **** I post on this board is more informative then most could comprehend. Rep doesnt really matter, and people never give it anyway. So I try to enjoy my time around.

The virus bit was a joke. Although, on your end its still rather funny. Find out how to reset CMOS and tell me if it fixes it. I bet your idiocy it does.
If it DOES in case happen to be a "virus" (In which, is in the wrong context) then I AGAIN bet you your idiocy that its stored poorly encrypted - if at all. The only area the infector would have for infection is the MBR, which gives <~440 bytes of payload space. Not enough to securely encrypt the pass and/or include strong encryption routines for the drive.
Not to mention, the 440 bytes of space includes relocating the old MBR and part. table. Which is more of a pain, and I doubt said myth virus includes such features.

There, a nice long informative post with information people dont understand, and I even left out detail. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
smokinbonz, what you are describing sounds like a failing hdd unfortunately...
I had a toshiba satellite a while back, hdd password started coming up so I updated my bios... found out my hdd was dying.

Since you can't find a bios fix for your specific model, I would replace the hdd, or follow this guide and try to recover your data: http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecente...usb-enclosure/

Before doing either, I suggest giving toshiba a ring. This sounds like a problem that should be covered outside of warranty, a quick google search showed a lot of people having your exact same problem...

good luck mate, cheers to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinbonz;7007523
Basically the company i work for has 3 laptops on the road guys use for programming things. the one in question is a toshiba satellite. they are a bit older no built in wifi cards or anything so i dont think they go on the internet but im not sure really what they do with them . Anyway guy comes in from the road says the laptop dont work asks for a password all of a sudden.

Turn it it on it hangs at the splash screen for about a minute then prompts for pass word. all it says on the screen is "HDD password="
thinking.gif
i dont know it and dont believe there ever was one . I havent found much on the subject no good advice at least.

What do you guys think are my best options with this. It kinda reminds me of when i screwed around with xboxes you could lock unlock the hard drive in situations . Is this the same thing ? Ive read its a bad drive , or virus did it, I just want to ask and see what you guys think. Its not a BIOS password I can get in there just fine. just wanted to mention.

Please give me some suggestions rep +
I just bought a Toshiba Mini for my daughter...she used it for 2 weeks, and the same exact thing happened to her's. Toshiba won't do anything for me, except charge me almost the price of the computer to fix it. I also went to Best Buy, and since it's past 14 DAYS, they won't help me either. I now have flushed $300 down the toilet.

If you find a fix for this problem, would you please let me know?

Thanks....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpirate;7016341
smokinbonz, what you are describing sounds like a failing hdd unfortunately...
frown.gif
I had a toshiba satellite a while back, hdd password started coming up so I updated my bios... found out my hdd was dying.

Since you can't find a bios fix for your specific model, I would replace the hdd, or follow this guide and try to recover your data: http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2008/07/06/hard-drive-recovery-slave-laptop-hard-disk-usb-enclosure/

Before doing either, I suggest giving toshiba a ring. This sounds like a problem that should be covered outside of warranty, a quick google search showed a lot of people having your exact same problem...

good luck mate, cheers to you.
Hi There,

I realize there's a lot of people having the same problem....the same computer I bought for my daughter is doing the exact same thing. Toshiba won't do anything. They want me to pay almost as much as I paid for the computer to fix this, even though I just bought it a month ago. I think there has to be a bunch of people writing to the top execs there to get any help, if even THEY would do something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts