Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: Full Press Release
New battery realizes driving range of electric vehicles boosted to 320km on 6-minute, ultra-rapid recharge, triple that possible with current lithium-ion battery.
New anode material, titanium niobium oxide achieves double the capacity of the anode of current lithium-ion batteries.

"Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO: 6502), an industry leader in lithium-ion battery technology, today announced the development of its next-generation SCiBTM, which uses a new material to double the capacity of the battery anode. The new battery offers high- energy density and the ultra-rapid recharging required for automotive applications, and will give a compact electric vehicle (EV) with a drive range of 320km* after only six minutes of ultra-rapid recharging-three times the distance possible with current lithium-ion batteries.

Rigorous testing of a 50Ah prototype of the new battery has confirmed that it retains the long life cycle, low-temperature operation, excellent safety and rapid recharging characteristics of the current SCiBTM. The energy density by volume of battery is twice that of the current SCiBTM. The next-generation SCiBTM maintains over 90% of its initial capacity after being put through 5,000 charge/discharge cycles, and ultra-rapid recharging can be done in cold conditions, with temperatures as low as minus 10°C, in only ten minutes.

Toshiba will continue to develop higher energy density batteries that extend the range of EVs and support ultra-rapid recharging, and aims to commercialize the next-generation SCiBTM in fiscal year 2019."

Prototype of 50Ah next-generation SCiBTM
111mm x 194mm x 14.5mm

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
ohhhh, thats a large leap in charging speed, however "titanium niobium oxide" sounds expensive to produce.
will they be strictly used for EV car batteries though? would be nice to charge a phone in just 6minutes to near-full.

edit: on a side note, 111mm x 194mm is roughly the size of an 7inch tablet.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
According to Wikipedia, Niobium is about as common as lithium, both of which are much less common than titanium.

How much it costs to process or to produce said oxides however, might be a different matter.

But it would appear to be viable at first glance.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm sure it'll appear in phones and small devices first, since volume production for cars will take a lot longer to ramp up. That it is tested for durability is extremely promising, adding half volume for same capacity or double capacity for same volume on top of the charge speed and it's a huge leap forward. For cars though the limitation will be the grid and charging infrastructure. Phones and laptops that last a whole day? That's the future.

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
if only they start making thicker phones, i could already taste that sweet pleasure of having 10Ah 3.7V battery capacity in my future phone.

technically its possible with the current battery types, the current high capacity battery averages at 3Ah with a thickness of 3mm or something.
increasing that thickness to 8mm would increase capacity to 8Ah.

some notes according to Toshiba, their current SCiB batteries has an energy density of 202Wh/L, this puts the 2nd-gen at 404Wh/L approx.
http://www.scib.jp/en/product/cell.htm

this is based on their high-energy SCiB, they don't have any indication on the energy density of their high-power SCiB.
it is quite probable that their high-power SCiB will have much less energy density than their high-energy counterpart.
edit: based on comparative speculations, the high-power SCiB seems to have 33% the energy density of their high-energy counterpart.

comparisons:
SCiB gen1 = 67Wh/L ( speculated density of high-power SCiB gen1 )
SCiB gen1 = 202Wh/L ( high-energy model - 23Ah SCiB gen1 )
SCiB gen2 = 133Wh/L ( speculated density of high-power SCiB gen2 )
SCiB gen2 = 404Wh/L ( speculated density of high-energy SCiB gen2 )
Li-ion = 250~693Wh/L
Li-Po = 250~730Wh/L

although this new tech has a fast charging speed, it doesn't seem to be that compact.

on a side note, their current high-power 10Ah SCiB has an absurd power output of 1800W @ 2.4V, thats 750Amps.

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remz1337 View Post

"as low as minus 10"

good luck in Canada
they actually still work well below that temperature, they just don't charge as fast nor hold as much energy.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbird View Post
For cars though the limitation will be the grid and charging infrastructure.
"Ultra-rapid" charging would be something done at a dedicated charging station rather than at home. That makes it easier to provide the high current supply that would be needed as you are only supplying a limited number of discrete locations. I wouldn't imagine this is something you would do at home as there you have plenty of time to do a slower trickle charge overnight.

There are already quite a few supercharger stations around the US, but we would need plenty more worldwide. For now a few outlets could be installed in gas stations - they already have a lot of the infrastructure in place. Over time I could see gas stations being almost fully converted into EV charging stations. For the companies that run them the choice is simple - evolve or die.

I agree that we would need to increase the capacity of the electrical grid, although not by all that much initially. I did a rough calculation in another thread for the UK and came to the conclusion that we would have to roughly double the capacity to replace every vehicle on the roads with EVs. That's still a lot, but the good news is we have the time - mass EV adoption will take decades.

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Quote:

oh great! my bad, I didn't read the entire article
thumb.gif
It's a problem with all chemistry which includes batteries. As a rule of thumb, the reaction rate of a solution halves for every 10C decrease.

·
Premium Member
10,848 Posts
This sounds like a huge leap forward!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post

This sounds like a huge leap forward!
And is ready for production in 2019, not like some other battery technologies that are still in experimental stage.

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

ohhhh, thats a large leap in charging speed, however "titanium niobium oxide" sounds expensive to produce.
will they be strictly used for EV car batteries though? would be nice to charge a phone in just 6minutes to near-full.

edit: on a side note, 111mm x 194mm is roughly the size of an 7inch tablet.
You can charge such batteries today already, they just don't want you to. Plus you need a high power charger. There are batteries already for years that can charge very fast, they simply aren't used in phones nor are phone electronics built for fast charging at such rates.

Toshiba and batteries... first time I hear about them making any. Samsung, LG, Panasonic-Sanyo are more common battery makers for 18650s. Plus Tesla is making their own batteries now I think anyway, out of spec larger 21700 and such. Why still make thousand tiny metal canisters for a car battery I don't know, probably safety, still 21700 from 18650 is not a big change. They could have just gone with the standard large 26650s.

Thanks for comparison, yeah I can see why we don't see Toshiba batteries right there, probably some special use batteries with poor density.

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
Toshiba's batteries seems to have high demands in the EV bus manufacturing industry.
on a side note, two major car companies Mitsubishi and Suzuki apparently uses Toshiba's battery.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Quote:

"as low as minus 10"

good luck in Canada
I have to agree, their definition of cold is still shorts weather!
tongue.gif
But it's at least a start, given the challenges one naturally faces with cold weather in the first place.

My favourite part is the rapid recharge capability bringing it right into the quick pitstop timeframe of refuelling an internal combustion engine (if you also factor in time for a quick stretch, like you should when on a road trip anyways), AND the fact it's been tested for repeated charging and maintains 90% capacity after 5k charges.

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
their high-power packs has 20,000 cycle ratings by the way, impressive stuff.
these things have low energy-density, but can push out hundreds of Amps and completely drain itself within a minute.
at the same time it can also charge itself a lot faster than their high-energy packs, their example giving a 3minute to 80% charge.

its the kind of battery that completely fits the purpose for regeneration breaking.

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

their high-power packs has 20,000 cycle ratings by the way, impressive stuff.
these things have low energy-density, but can push out hundreds of Amps and completely drain itself within a minute.
at the same time it can also charge itself a lot faster than their high-energy packs, their example giving a 3minute to 80% charge.

its the kind of battery that completely fits the purpose for regeneration breaking.
Sounds like they're using lithium titanate (LTO) cells. Do you know if that's the case?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts