Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this weekend half of my raid 0 failed. ONE DAY BEFORE MY BACKUP...<br />
So to say at best, i was devastated. For the next month or so, im going to be running suse 10.1. Since it's been well over a year since i have done any linux work, im gonna need help, first things first though. Nvidia drivers...

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Latest nvidia driver <a href="http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_linux_display_x86_1.0-9625.html" target="_blank">here</a>.<br />
<br />
You need to be root to install and you'll have to stop the x server.<br />
<br />
FIRST, save the file in like /home/user/<br />
that way its easy to find.<br />
Atl+F1 then log in (or ctrl+alt+F1) that takes you to text mode.<br />
<div class="bbcode_code">
<div class="bbcode_code_head">Code:</div>
<pre><code>init 3</code></pre>
</div> to stop X<br />
then navigate to the folder the driver is in: ex) cd /home/<userid>/ (it'd be better if you moved it to /home/<userid>/bin though maybe)<br />
then <div class="bbcode_code">
<pre><code>chmod +x NVIDIA blah blah</code></pre>
</div>then <div class="bbcode_code">
<pre><code>sh NVIDIA blah blah blah</code></pre>
</div>then the install for the driver will start.<br />
<br />
Also before that make sure kernel source is installed. Just use YaST to find out/install if need be.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try the Yast method first then maybe do it from command line if all else fails. I'm running the amd64 version and i can't get flash to install.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>Blue_Fire</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">I'm going to try the Yast method first then maybe do it from command line if all else fails. I'm running the amd64 version and i can't get flash to install.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>You cannot install the driver via YaST, Novell no longer includes them. And the X server cannot be running when you install thats why you kill it with init 3. <br />
<br />
What browser are you using?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either browser:firefox/konqueror no flash is present.<br />
Hmm this is going to be alot more troublesome than i had hoped, and getting sli to work, well, i dont think ill be doing much gaming anytime soon to help relieve stress.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I dont think there is a 64bit version of flash. For windows or Linux.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, it didn't really register with me that i was running the x64 bit linux... ugh.<br>
Well i think ill dload another distro and run them both....

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got the 32 bit up a running, going smooth all except 3d acceleration, which is due to an outdated xgl hardware list, by any chance does anyone remember how to swith between desktops>

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Blue_Fire</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Well got the 32 bit up a running, going smooth all except 3d acceleration, which is due to an outdated xgl hardware list, by any chance does anyone remember how to swith between desktops></div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<ctrl>+<alt>+ left click and hold down and drag or <ctrl>+<atl>+<arrow left or right(or down to unfold)><br>
Check out my FAQ in sig.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not exactly what i meant, how does one switch between gdm/kdm at will? Just curious cause i couldnt find it in google. On to my next thread, the 32 bit adventures of Blue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts