Overclock.net banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
well i guess it will be the perfect way for me to get a dual core on this, so im not left out of the fun,
the multiplier at 250 fsb will only give me a 2.2 ghz, but my memory will be at liek 500 mhz, im not very sure how hgih ic an get it runnign stable with tight timings (i overclock to maximize the everything, i dontlike haveing to make my memory slower)
sigh... this is stupid lol

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Well timings arnt always everything..Sometimes keeping them a little loose can really help you in an Overclock. But as you have said getting a Dual core will be great for you. The Opteron 165 apart from being a good chip is dual core ad cheap...You dont lose out really.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
ok im thinkin of the 170 instead, i want the better multi, so that i can run a 250 fsb and be happy, memory will be at 500 mhz with tight timings, HTT at 1000 and a cool 2.5 oc, that looks happy, then when i got the time, il build a nother machine, and put my nasssty 3700 back to work ^.^

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
When overclocking, CPU speed is king, followed by memory timmings and then bandwidth (as far as A64s and Opterons go). Tighter timmings will give you more of a performance boost than increased memory bandwidth, which is nearly useless in an A64 platform. So don't be afraid to use big dividers if it will give you a greater overall CPU speed (it will allow you tighter timmings as well).

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar
View Post

When overclocking, CPU speed is king, followed by memory timmings and then bandwidth (as far as A64s and Opterons go). Tighter timmings will give you more of a performance boost than increased memory bandwidth, which is nearly useless in an A64 platform. So don't be afraid to use big dividers if it will give you a greater overall CPU speed (it will allow you tighter timmings as well).

Nice info mate. Yes perhaps the Opteron 170 will be bette to you due to its Higher multi..Let us know what you decide to get.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
wellll, my motherboard doesnt let me make a divider per say, it simply allows me to lower the speed, liek i can choose 133 1666 266 blahb lahb lah
its annoying lol

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2
View Post

wellll, my motherboard doesnt let me make a divider per say, it simply allows me to lower the speed, liek i can choose 133 1666 266 blahb lahb lah
its annoying lol

That's the same as dividers.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
well i know, bu its weird, because i was used to doing it a different way then this way, sigh

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
A 170 at those prices at Monarch is the way to go and I agree on the few extra $$ for the retail! Save a few more $$ and go the cheep ground shipping, it will probably get there in 3-5 days

Then OC on

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
yes indeed, its the 170 for me, i still have to waait a week, ive been greedy lately andneed a littttle more money ^.^

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701 View Post
Not to make you look silly but perhaps look at out Overclocking Faqs here :http://www.overclock.net/faqs/12415-...ptimizer+guide

lol yah i know, dont worry abotu makeing me look silly, im quite the moron
i just have fun with life

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
pssh, get the 165. the neo-4 motherboard can set dividers and everything just fine. if you are running a 300 HTT, then use a 133 divider and you'll keep your memory timings w/ DDR400

and if your memory is really good i've actually had better performance running high fsb w/ the tightest timings possible....past DDR600 running slightly looser timings. i lost my HD though, so i'll have to redo the benchmarks and repost them. i'll try to do it this week.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
bleh everyone has solid ideas, i just disliek the memory divider =/

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
I'm personally getting the Opteron 180 for what it already is and its multiplier. I had to lower my memory to DDR333 to get my 3500+ to 2750Mhz stable, but hey the Opteron 180 at stock speed will already be whooping my overclocked Venice, plus I can stay at DDR400. Opteron 180 and X2 4800+ both costs the same retail, so there's no point of going for the X2. Another thing is that I've heard many saying that X2 4800+ can reach 2.8Ghz easily even with bad steppings, so theoretically the Opteron should be even better.

If you don't like using memory dividers or if you don't plan on overclocking to the max, then the Opteron 180 should be great for you too.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701
View Post

The 180 is a nice CPU however prety costly still IMO. The Opteron 170 will serve you well mate.

Thought he said he didn't want anything lower than his 3700+ in speed, so how about a 175? That's perfectly a 2x 3700+ with same 2.2Ghz and 11x multi, retail for $239.99 on Newegg.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts