Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok check it i just got my new stuff in yesterday put it all together and performs flawlessly. EXCEPT when i try to OC ANYTHING im pullin my hair out here. Mobo is my first part of my question i have Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 there are a TON of options for OC'ing my AMD 3800+ Venice right. So i use the MiT overclock features on it to adjust timing AGP bus the whole nine. I CANNOT for the life of me get it to run faster than 2.52 GHZ!! ***! I KNOW this can be OCed alot more. Is it the mobo or something im doing wrong "most likely" does anyone have a good guide on how to OC my 3800 on this mobo? Second qestion i have a 6800GS from eVga unlocked pipes everything np at all the second i try and OC it to say from the stock 350/1000 to an easy 400 1100 right nope not happening! i tried as low as 365/1050 Nope game crashes the lock ups the crap i dont want! WHAT IS THIS NOOB DOING WRONG! Tell me lol thanks and this is my first post so take it easy aight!

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What is your vcore set to?
What is your HTT Multi set to?
What is your FSB?
What type of Memory do you have?
What is your CPU Multi set to?
What is your Memory Voltage?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your vcore set to? 1.4 stock.
What is your HTT Multi set to? 15X
What is your FSB? 200
What type of Memory do you have? 2 pair Mismatch OCZ both 2 1 gig sticks 2 256 sticks gig sticks are pc3200 the 256 are pc4000 <-possible problem?
What is your CPU Multi set to? 4X
What is your Memory Voltage? Stock voltage.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Now when you say mismatch, do you mean TOTALLY different memory, or just a later model of the same memory.

And I'd say there's a 90% chance that if you take those 256MB sticks out you'll get a better overclock. And I believe the 2048MB will make up for the loss of DDR500.

And I believe you read it wrong, because it's impossible for your HTT Multi to be set to x15, it should be the other way around, HTT is 4, so set your HTT to 3 becuase that is one thing that is making you unstable.

As for your multipliers, did you make a typo? Becuase from the reviews that i've read the 3800+ has a multiplier of x12 not x15

Once you've taken out the 2x256MB sticks, change your ram voltage to v2.7, and your timings to 2.5-3-3-10, and if those are too high and you test for stability, we'll lower them. But for now keep them at those values.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
FSB overclocking is probably what you want to do. From the sounds of it, you used your CPU multi to bump it up to 3GHz, which is probably a bit too high. I'd reccomend you reset the multi to stock and trying upping the FSB in increments of 5 MHz.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Sorry 'bout the double post, but give 10x multi and 220FSB a try. That'll get you 2.2GHz. Then go up another 5, and another. Follow the ultimate oc guide in one of the forums (can't remember which).

• Rep+
Reactions: OreO

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the stock freq is 2.4 ghz laboit so i dont want to underclock it :) but yeah the multipier is set at 12 your right. I just read it wrong thanks im going to take out that memory now and test a few things. ANd yes its the same brand or memory OCZ gig sticks are 3200 the 2x256 are 4000. But i kinda figured that might have been it. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i tried a few things i got it to 2.5 AGAIN but it hangs on my games BF2 and CSS. I know its the OC of the cpu not the vid card because as soon as i back it off its ok. If i OC the Vid card by itself it runs fine. I MUST be an idiot and not know how to OC this mobo correctly cause it just wont work if i even OC it more than the stock 2.4 *** IS THIS NOOB DOING WRONG!! I tried the upping ram voltages etc in very small increments i the best setting i had it OC to was 215 on fsb with everything else stock which gave me the 2.52 oc which was windows stable but not for my games. I DID however notice a large improvement when i removed the 2x256 sticks out ddr set to 400 instead of the 266 it was at weird hu? Side note my stock ram latencies are at 2.5-4-4-9

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Is that OCZ Valueram?

Did you:
Change vcore to 1.5?
Change timings to 2.5-3-3-10, not 4-4-9?
Change vdimm to 2.7 (mem voltage)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i did try that light. I just downloaded there easy oc software for this mobo. it works fine by just letting me adjust the total cpu frequency but it hangs all the time JUST like it did when i manually did it. I think im just screwed out of OCing this Processor because of the mobo i dunno.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OreO

well the stock freq is 2.4 ghz laboit so i dont want to underclock it :) but yeah the multipier is set at 12 your right. I just read it wrong thanks im going to take out that memory now and test a few things. ANd yes its the same brand or memory OCZ gig sticks are 3200 the 2x256 are 4000. But i kinda figured that might have been it. Thanks for the advice!

Actually, the stock speed is 2GHz. Try my suggestion, and see if it runs prime 95 stable. You might need better cooling. Also, make sure you have an equal pressure system for cooling - try to balance your intake and exhaust fans. If you used thermal paste, make sure you scraped off the old thermal pad. If all of that fails, then you probably have the wrong board.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103531

Stock freq is 2.4
Ill try prime 95 in a sec need to d/l it
Brand AMD
Series Athlon 64
Model ADA3800BPBOX
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type Socket 939
Tech Spec
Core Venice
Name Athlon 64 3800+
Operating Frequency 2.4GHz
FSB 1GHz
L1 Cache 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache 512KB
Process Type 90 nm

The mobo on its site says it will support up to a AMD 4000+
As far as cooling i have a Coolermaster Fan HS combo on the chip itself. NV5 Silencer on the 6800GS and 5 Case Fans all keeping cool n comfy inside the box at 78 Degrees Fahrenheit. Im thinking i just bought a ****ty mobo to be honest i just need to upgrade to PCI-E and get a DFI or something!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update fond the problem it was unlocking the pipes on my 6800 GS that was causing me to lock up on games and such. Havent tried OCing the rig as im too tired now ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OreO

Ok check it i just got my new stuff in yesterday put it all together and performs flawlessly. EXCEPT when i try to OC ANYTHING im pullin my hair out here. Mobo is my first part of my question i have Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 there are a TON of options for OC'ing my AMD 3800+ Venice right. So i use the MiT overclock features on it to adjust timing AGP bus the whole nine. I CANNOT for the life of me get it to run faster than 2.52 GHZ!! ***! I KNOW this can be OCed alot more. Is it the mobo or something im doing wrong "most likely" does anyone have a good guide on how to OC my 3800 on this mobo? Second qestion i have a 6800GS from eVga unlocked pipes everything np at all the second i try and OC it to say from the stock 350/1000 to an easy 400 1100 right nope not happening! i tried as low as 365/1050 Nope game crashes the lock ups the crap i dont want! WHAT IS THIS NOOB DOING WRONG! Tell me lol thanks and this is my first post so take it easy aight!

fyi
with a gigabyte board, you'd be hard pressed to get it to work on a FSB higher than 215mhz.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts