Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find any other copies of this, just let me know if a repost.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...g/voltmods/151

Quote:
This voltmod applies to all HD 4850 series cards using PCB #B50131-00.

The HD 4850 supports very limited voltage control via BIOS or software, only up to 1.20V

Disclaimer:
Performing these voltmods will void any and all warranties your video card may have.
You - and only you - are responsible for any damage caused indirectly (or directly) by these modifications.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Quote:

This voltmod applies to all HD 4850 series cards using PCB #B50131-00.

If this is a stupid question, I apologize, but, how do I tell if mine is that?

·
PC Evangelist
47,375 Posts
850Mhz is my max.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xToaDx
View Post

If this is a stupid question, I apologize, but, how do I tell if mine is that?

just compare the back of your card,it doesn't work only on some non-reference cards.
it works on my iceQ4 edition,only the 2nd pencil vgpu mod though.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
do chances of bricking the video card increase?

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
A little off topic, but artifacts only occur when the card is too hot eh? Heard people get artifacts once they reach 690 on the core with an aftermarket cooler. Would jumping the voltages even do anything? That one guy hear has reached over 800 though?

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

A little off topic, but artifacts only occur when the card is too hot eh? Heard people get artifacts once they reach 690 on the core with an aftermarket cooler. Would jumping the voltages even do anything? That one guy hear has reached over 800 though?

No it doesn't just happen from heat.

Usually it happens because the chip is being starved for voltage because the clocks are too high.

By adding more voltage you can pump the clocks higher. That being said, the more voltage, the more heat it pumps out.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danker16
View Post

If you perform the mod correctly and use good cooling, no.

Don't even think about trying this with the stock cooler though. As the card's temp increases, so does the amount of voltage flowing through it; a never ending, self destructive cycle

·
Banned
12,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danker16
View Post

Extremely unlikely with a pencil mod. It's only when you start dabbing with VR's and solder mods that you have a chance of killing the card.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penicilyn
View Post

No it doesn't just happen from heat.

Usually it happens because the chip is being starved for voltage because the clocks are too high.

By adding more voltage you can pump the clocks higher. That being said, the more voltage, the more heat it pumps out.

How much FPS can you get though from overvolting. I'm thinking of volting my 9600GT cause it runs under 60.C on load with an overclock.

Whoa, wait, the pencil mod actually continues to up the voltages even though the chip is running hot? How and what?

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
I preformed the mod, my sig says 830 but I've bumped it down to 810 and it is very stable. Runs very hot under stress, a lot hotter then makes me comfortable, but in games I don't see more then 60C. It will probably shorten the life of your card, it should not be attemted without a high quality heatsink, and it voids your warranty. If you plan on upgrading fairly soon (year or so), and have a good heatsink then it is fairly safe. First mod only raises v core up to a maximum of 1.4v.

This mod did nothing for my crysis frame rates, but I think that is because the 512mb of memory or DDR3 memory is holding me back. In other games it make the difference between mostly playable and very smooth. Assissins Creed is very playable in all high in game settings and all high CCC setting, with v sync, with never lower then 30 fps. This mod does much more for the core clock then memory. You will see the biggest difference in games that were already fairly playable at stock.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Poor tutorial. This will only confuse people.
Very true, the vmem mod is easy to follow, but which vgpu one should I do? It looks like there are 2 pencil mods for it.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothergoose729
View Post

I preformed the mod, my sig says 830 but I've bumped it down to 810 and it is very stable. Runs very hot under stress, a lot hotter then makes me comfortable, but in games I don't see more then 60C. It will probably shorten the life of your card, it should not be attemted without a high quality heatsink, and it voids your warranty. If you plan on upgrading fairly soon (year or so), and have a good heatsink then it is fairly safe. First mod only raises v core up to a maximum of 1.4v.

This mod did nothing for my crysis frame rates, but I think that is because the 512mb of memory or DDR3 memory is holding me back. In other games it make the difference between mostly playable and very smooth. Assissins Creed is very playable in all high in game settings and all high CCC setting, with v sync, with never lower then 30 fps. This mod does much more for the core clock then memory. You will see the biggest difference in games that were already fairly playable at stock.

So basically, its for fun?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

So basically, its for fun?

fraps run from crysis's first level-
1024x768 hacked vhigh settings

625/993-
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
20801, 556170, 17, 67, 37.400

730/1100 w/o mod-
23882, 579761, 19, 77, 41.193

770/1100
24339, 556199, 20, 80, 43.760

so it improves performance for me,the benchmark goes 10fps higher from stock with high settings.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamervivek
View Post

fraps run from crysis's first level-
1024x768 hacked vhigh settings

625/993-
20801, 556170, 17, 67, 37.400

730/1100 w/o mod-
23882, 579761, 19, 77, 41.193

770/1100
24339, 556199, 20, 80, 43.760

so it improves performance for me,the benchmark goes 10fps higher from stock with high settings.

Thats quite a jump actually. You usually just see 1-2FPS increase from high performing cards after a OC.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts