Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
AMD launched a new entry-level GPU for those who need a bare-essentials graphics card for their desktop, which so happens to lack integrated graphics (think Intel HEDT platform). Called the Radeon R5 230, the chip is based on the "Caicos" silicon, and features 160 stream processors, 8 TMUs, and 4 ROPs
Source

A wild HD6000 card from early 2011 appears! And the supposed price is the same as in 2011 as well.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
That card and its cooler look like its from 2003.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Seems like it would be awesome for extremely small rigs for low power HTPCs. And that is a good plus for rigs without integrated graphics.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Why not put a bigger heatsink and make it passive while they're at it? Could be marketed as fanless then.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Why not put a bigger heatsink and make it passive while they're at it? Could be marketed as fanless then.
Good point. Something funny is I had a GT 640, and forgot to plug in the fan after reapplying the thermal paste. It ran MineCraft with a 128x texture pack and only peaked at around ~95°C. Was actually pretty impressive, and I have no idea how it didn't shut down.

Similar situation with a GT 430, only the fan wasn't running at it's proper speed and over heated (Wut?)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

Good point. Something funny is I had a GT 640, and forgot to plug in the fan after reapplying the thermal paste. It ran MineCraft with a 128x texture pack and only peaked at around ~95°C. Was actually pretty impressive, and I have no idea how it didn't shut down.

Similar situation with a GT 430, only the fan wasn't running at it's proper speed and over heated (Wut?)
probably because it throttled down to stay at 95c as thats its max

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbby258 View Post

probably because it throttled down to stay at 95c as thats its max
Thought the cards would go to 105°C, then shut off. I know the 430 did it to me a few times, but haven't let my other cards do that, then again they were all 6X0 series (640, 660, 680)

EDIT: Oh dear... getting a little off topic. I am really interested in passive computing though...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Quote:

Thought the cards would go to 105°C, then shut off. I know the 430 did it to me a few times, but haven't let my other cards do that, then again they were all 6X0 series (640, 660, 680)
Part of the power limit like you see in afterburner where the temp limit is 95c

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomanator53 View Post

That card and its cooler look like its from 2003.
thought the same thing.
"Hey, that looks just like what went into all of my friends planetside rigs."

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
With APUs that are very good in gfx nowadays I don't understand why these cards even exist. Even an Intel iGPU is strong enough for a decent HTPC. It is not needed for general use or spreadsheet working either.

So what is the market for these?

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukkel View Post

With APUs that are very good in gfx nowadays I don't understand why these cards even exist. Even an Intel iGPU is strong enough for a decent HTPC. It is not needed for general use or spreadsheet working either.

So what is the market for these?
Quote from the article states that. Plus say you get a pre-built but it has very bad integrated graphics, you could throw this in there. Please note I'm not talking about something like the Intel's HD or AMD's APUs, I'm talking about the integ's that board manufactures use.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Quote:

I have a GT450 I got for free running fanless in a 1U server. Just ripped the fan off of it and threw it in, and it never gets above 70c. Its heatsink design fits the case design though, the fins run straight from front to back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts