Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
woot
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.techpowerup.com/245553/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-32-core-cpu-listed-for-eur1509

After rearing up its performance chops in Cinebench, impressing with its score (as well it should, considering it's a 32-core, 64-thread beast), we can now add another, arguably more important metric to the upcoming AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X... Price. And pricing, if the early listing from German site Cyberport.de is anything to go by, seems adequate to the level of performance - and bragging rights - earned from dropping one of these onto your AMD system. ?1509 (~$1750) is almost double that of AMD's previous top-end Threadripper 1950X, which is on sale, through Amazon.de, for ?777 ($999). A doubling in cores does seem to warrant a doubling in price - the fact that the 2990X is selling for less than that, though, remains slightly impressive. Let's see what Intel can pull anything else to compete out of its proverbial hat.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,294 Posts
Never trust early pricing. This happens every time a new top-of-the-line CPU or GPU is being released. Check Ebay too, I'm pretty sure we'll see some crazy pricing there too.

In any case, this would be fair in all honesty. If history shows true here, they might just release the 16 core version as the lowest-end option.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,034 Posts
$1600 was my guess. But $1750 isn't bad. Probably will see the 24c/48t at $1450. I just want to see new 8, 12, and 16 core chips. And they should run cooler as well being spread across 4 chips. :D

I'd even take a quad core with a 64mb cache and 64 pcie lanes. Shame the cache seems to be based on cores. :p

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,730 Posts
That'd be sick 4 single core CPUs lol with that much cache

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Just thinking the same. This would be an awesome chip, even single threaded would do very well considering.

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
And they should run cooler as well being spread across 4 chips. :D
12 cores wouldn't work that way. All four dies may only be used when the core count modulo 8 is zero; each CCX must have the same amount of cores enabled which means multiples of eight across the entire MCM are the only amounts allowed.

There's also the issue of latency. Remember, the 24-core and 32-core Threadrippers only have two dies hooked up to the memory directly. The remaining two dies must go through the Infinity Fabric to another die's memory controller. That pegs memory at about 130ns on two dies at all times, while the others average about 100ns and, when directly accessing their own memory, hit 70ns (same as Ryzen). This assumes stock speeds, but regardless, Infinity Fabric adds a huge amount of latency.

PCIe devices also can't communicate directly but this shouldn't be as big an issue. Flash memory on an NVMe is horribly slow compared to DRAM. Like, even something as slow as a Pentium 4 accesses its memory orders of magnitude faster and with a higher throughput over the FSB. Perhaps something like GPGPU computing would suffer, hence Nvidia's push for NVLink rather than PCIe, but you'll want Epyc for that anyway and an unlocked CPU won't benefit you as much.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hopefully the refresh tweaks the latency by a nice margin heck toes some SRAM in there if needed to speed up If or rehire Keller to redesign a better IF 2.0

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
If its a linear price increase per core count that makes it an incredible bargain compared to intel's offerings...
If you look at the previous Ryzen the 16 core was actually had increasing returns. The more cores you bought, the cheaper it was. Opposite of normal PC hardware. I will not at all be surprised if the 32 core is cheaper than the 16 per core. With threadripper not being a monolithic CPU, you're basically getting a small bulk discount on Ryzen chips.

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
The 1800X debuted at $500. The 1950X was essentially two of them and its cost was set accordingly at $1000. The 2700X is $320 and this will be essentially four of them. Anything in excess of $1300 would be irritating.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Now just need modders to find way to force other 4 memory channels open lol that'd be a achievement

·
More Cores!
1,246 Posts
Hmm. How to convince the wife to let me buy this...

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,511 Posts
I still just want to know what current X399 Boards will be supported, hopefully that info will tumble down soon.
Not sure where I read about it, but x399 should be the chipset used for these CPUs. But the board support... previous generation of Threadrippers topped at 180 watts.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Just thinking the same. This would be an awesome chip, even single threaded would do very well considering.
You guys need to dream big. These are 8 core modules. We could be getting cheap 8/16 CPU's with a lot of cache (and no CCX latency).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I still just want to know what current X399 Boards will be supported, hopefully that info will tumble down soon.
I've read all the motherboards will support the new chips after a BIOS update... the problem is, they will only guarantee support on stock speeds... you want to overclock? buy a new one, like Offler mentioned, the current boards top at 180w...

·
Administrator
64,325 Posts
I've read all the motherboards will support the new chips after a BIOS update... the problem is, they will only guarantee support on stock speeds... you want to overclock? buy a new one, like Offler mentioned, the current boards top at 180w...
Still not bad though, Even at stock speeds it is still impressive, the OC capability while there will not be awesome in any case going by my experience with the 1950X

1 - 20 of 50 Posts