Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Faced with continuous development roadblocks with TSMC, AMD is reportedly planning to switch to the 28 nm SHP process of GlobalFoundries, to build GPUs in 2015. The 28 nm SHP (super high-performance) node will allow the company to lower voltages, giving it greater room to increase clock speeds of its upcoming GPUs. AMD's GPUs in 2015 could be based on its latest Graphics CoreNext 1.2 architecture, and AMD needs every means to minimize voltages, and crank up clock speeds.
Source

I'm not sure why AMD would stick with TSMC for their newer products, though.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
good o' 28nm GPUs...entering into year 4
buttkick.gif

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin
I'm not sure why AMD would stick with TSMC for their newer products, though.
Doesn't TSMC only have experience with AMDs small cores(bobcat and successors) currently - afaik the console APUs are both TSMC (and also jaguar x86 based) I get not wanting to rely solely on one FAB. Also isn't GFs process better suited for high power cores?

This sort of says that Zen is aimed at replacing jaguar and is aimed at low power. Either that or one of those custom SoC contracts us better suited for TSMCs FAB

Have we seen a WSA for AMD/GF for 2015 at all? It could be this rumor is easily debunked..

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It's more a rumour than a real news.
TPU got the info with Bit & Chips who got it on ... hardware forums.

·
2,327 Posts
AMD to switch to 10nm IBM node for 390X. Stop the presses!

·
Politically incorrect
9,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

good o' 28nm GPUs...entering into year 4
buttkick.gif
Looking at what nVidia have done with 28nm it's obvious there's life left still in 28nm.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So if AMD sticks with 28nm, why the delay of their new cards? At least they could have anounced something, so people don't spend their christmas money on nvidia cards (those 20% of people who didnt already buy the 970 on day one). I wanted to see what AMD has to offer before buying a new card, but I'm getting sick of waiting more months for a plain 28nm product.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Lol there is nothing wrong with AMD cards at the moment, yes they are a year old already but for the price its rediculous how much performance you can get out of them. To me there really isn't a need for AMD to go to a 20nm node or lower since they still have a lot of room to play with on the 28nm.

Yeah its been awhile since AMD has been on 28nm but so has nvidia. Manufacturing process is stagnant so AMD and Nvidia really only has one option. thats to improve their tech on the 28nm node. Nvidia did a great job with GK204 but comparing that to AMDs card that was released in 2013. Now if next year they come out with 28nm and still have the same issues then yeah i can see the arguement for "why"

On the subject of waiting months for new product. You must be the 1% of enthusiast gamers that has to have the newest product even if its only a 10% gain for $1k. I cant speak for most people but for me if i my GPU's stop me from getting the performance i need even after overclocking then yeah i'll look for something new. But i'm not going to get the newest GPU and CPU to game on a 1080p monitor that makes no sense to me even if its 144hz, 120hz, 96hz, 60hz monitors. Your paying a premium for 300fps on a 1080p monitor (assuming you have a 144hz refresh rate) still the newest card wasn't necessary for that.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

At the same time they ditch the construction cores
wink.gif

The APU by then could be so strong we can't even imagine. Not just a tank, a mega tank!
Zen apu with the 270x level gpu performance for laptops:) if possible

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqoxzt View Post

Zen apu with the 270x level gpu performance for laptops:) if possible
Well with all the new tech it wouldn't be strange to see them triple the efficiency of Carrizo. With an efficient cpu in place that is no bother to the gpu and a new gpu arch that features a lot of new things I see this being a huge deal.

drool.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Well with all the new tech it wouldn't be strange to see them triple the efficiency of Carrizo. With an efficient cpu in place that is no bother to the gpu and a new gpu arch that features a lot of new things I see this being a huge deal.

drool.gif
As of now the transitor count has grown to billions , is it possible to make Global illumination( ray tracing level) hardware IP on GPU chip or Hardware 4x msaa or SSAA(for rendering)?

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqoxzt View Post

As of now the transitor count has grown to billions , is it possible to make Global illumination( ray tracing level) hardware IP on GPU chip or Hardware 4x msaa or SSAA(for rendering)?
You can put in place parts in the ASIC which excel at such a task so yes you can make a chip very good at such a task.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

You can put in place parts in the ASIC which excel at such a task so yes you can make a chip very good at such a task.
Oh thanks I was actually thinking about having a hardware Anti-Alias-er on GPU chip itself in order to avoid 90 to 36 fps hit with SSAA turned on.
biggrin.gif

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
As Seronx Hasnt seen this thread

Maybe
Q1 2015
Global Foundries @28nm with Hawaii refresh with either an architecture tweak or using GCN1.2 with 3584SP, 384Bits, 5.5GHz
Q3-Q4 2015
Maybe GlobalFoundries 28nm or they could switch over TSMC again for 28nm Bermuda 4096SP-4352SP 4GB HBM 4Hi/8GB 512Bits 8GHz

Or maybe AMD release The 2nd tier of performance first and them wait Nvidia`s GM210

But this is just speculation ...

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Old news rumor is old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

I thought SHP limited clockspeeds.
Well Kaveri reaches mid 4GHz on the node, so it shouldnt be very limiting to GPUs running in the low to mid 1GHz range.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts