Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Intel's posterboy processor for the 32 nm Westmere architecture, the six-core Gulftown is now living, breathing silicon. The company seems to have already dispatched samples of the chip. Gulftown is based on the LGA-1366 socket. Featuring 6 cores and 12 threads with HyperThreading enabled, it holds 12 MB of L3 cache to support the additional data load over the QuickPath Interconnect.

A noted enthusiast has two Gulftown processors running in a dual-socket setup. This 12 core, 24 thread monstrosity uses 24 GB of DDR3 memory using 4 GB modules (perhaps 2 x 3 modules). The processors are running at 2.40 GHz (18 x 133 MHz). The machine was put through WPrime multi-threaded benchmark. It crunched WPrime 32M in a little over 6 seconds, and 1024M in 145.6 seconds. Going by older information, Gulftown should be implemented in a commercial product in Q1 2010, when Intel plans a host of other important product launches. When released as Core i9, the processor will target the premium enthusiast market.

Source

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
dude, i love the name they gave it. GULFTOWN.

even though i love amd, i love this nick name too.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
I skipped i7 for these but the rumors of Extreme Edition only worry me. This has the potential to be a great success but EE only would alienate 90% of potential costumers.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumper
View Post

I skipped i7 for these but the rumors of Extreme Edition only worry me. This has the potential to be a great success but EE only would alienate 90% of potential costumers.

It'll be solely EE initially, but after a while they'll start churning out lower-end Gulftowns, probably once they work the kinks out of their fab process and their yields increase.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
This is going to be my next 1366 CPU
i7 920 D0 and the Bloodrage 1366 were a warm-up. I just hope Foxconn doesn't drop the ball on updating the BIOS for the Bloodrage to support Gulftown

(However, I won't buy it from day 1 - gonna patiently await their 2nd stepping like I did with the 920)

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
I want to hear more news about the 8 Core i9 and Skulltrail 2

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Asked this on the other thread, will ask here too.

These are ES. and the clocks are at 2.4GHz.
Is that likely to change(default clock) when they are ready for retail, what has been the general trend with Intel before ?
2.4GHz just seems a bit low, You are gaining two extra cores(50% extra in cores), but losing almost 1GHz(33% less in speed) over the I7 975 @ 3.33GHz.

Just for comparison
http://www.overclock.net/benchmarkin...benchmark.html

Tester : CyberDruid
Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5470 @ 3.33GHz
MHz : 333
Number of CPUs : 8
Operating System : WINDOWS 64 BIT 6.0.6002
Wprime
32M 4.965 sec seconds
1024 148.248 seconds

CyberDruid is pulling the same sort of time, but on 8 cores @ 3.33GHz, the I9 is using 12 cores(2 x I9)

Am I missing some thing ?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
O.O Hooray for skipping Core, Core Duo, and i7! Ill jump from AMD 64 3000 to a i9

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
O.O Hooray for skipping Core, Core Duo, and i7! Ill jump from AMD 64 3000 to a i9

That jump will require a spaceship

• Rep+
Reactions: d3v0

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by raiden911
View Post

price tag?

Indeed
If the price is nice and I have the cash for it, I might be the only person with a budget mobo and a way to fast CPU.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts