Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
DFI seems to be almost ready with a motherboard based on Intel's P55 chipset, that supports the company's upcoming LGA-1156 socket processors. This motherboard did not get the limelight at this year's CeBIT event. VR-Zone put it through a quick photo session. It doesn't seem like DFI finalized the board's cooling, hence the pictures don't show coolers over the chipset and VRM areas. The rest of the board's features are pretty visuals:

* 6+2 phase CPU power circuit,
* Four DDR3 DIMM slots for dual-channel DDR3 memory
* P55 chipset used without any additional PCI-Express bridge chip
* Three PCI-E x16 slots, most likely two of them are routed to the CPU, arrange as x8, x8 with both populated, while the third is routed to the P55 chipset's 8-lane PCI-E hub
* Six SATA II ports from the PCH, two from an onboard controller, the same controller also provides an IDE connector

The rest of its features seem pretty standard for motherboards of its class. DFI may introduce this motherboard in some of the first waves of product launches following Intel's launch of compatible processors.
source

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Where is the SB and NB lol and nice halloween colors

·
Registered
498 Posts
2-Channel RAM!?!?! Isn't DDR3 supposed to be 3 channel? Why would they nerf it?

*Edit*
Also 3 PCI-e slots ain't enough for a next-gen board imo

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4055 View Post
Where is the SB and NB lol and nice halloween colors

SB and NB are integrated into 1 chip in i5. Also, if that board is anything like mine, those slots are UV reactive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylence View Post

*Edit*
It's i5, the nerfed i7.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylence View Post

*Edit*
DDR3 has nothing to do with the channels. That is dependent on the memory controller. i5 was never supposed to do Tri-Channel, just dual. i5 is a budget version of i7 and has a few other major design differences.

There are 5 PCIe slots. This is a budge next gen mobo.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
DDR3 has nothing to do with the channels. That is dependent on the memory controller. i5 was never supposed to do Tri-Channel, just dual. i5 is a budget version of i7 and has a few other major design differences.

There are 5 PCIe slots. This is a budge next gen mobo.
He's refering to PCI-E x16 slots, but you are right Duckie.

Plus, when was the last time you used more than two PCI-E slots? Most people EVEN on here only use one I bet.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
This will be a fine mobo I am sure

I doubt people buyign this and i5 will ever ever ever tri SLI, and never worry abou the PCI-e 1x being where they are.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
So the P55 boards can support up to 3 PCIE cards in 8x8 mode, because two of them are routed to the integrated north bridge on the CPU, and one to another controller on the board? That is very interesting... I think do to the nature of SLI that such a set up would not be much different then on a X58 chipset, if at all. Seeing as how so many resources are wasted in tri sli anyway I don't think there would even be much difference at high resolutions.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Gives you a good idea of what the LP will look life, given the yellow and green SATA ports lol

Pricing on i5 will determine it's acceptance - I still struggle to understand why most people on here ever went to i7 except for e-penis status.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torched-Geek View Post
Plus, when was the last time you used more than two PCI-E slots? Most people EVEN on here only use one I bet.
My goal: two x16 video cards, x16 PhysX, x8 RAID card, x4 NIC....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts