Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

During the ongoing CeBIT event, Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) showcased the first motherboard seen based on AMD's upcoming 8-series chipset. The ECS A880GM-M is based on the RS880-derived AMD 880G chipset. The chipset succeeds the existing AMD 780G, in providing a high performance mainstream chipset with a strong integrated graphics processor. The RS880 chipset is known to feature an RV620 class IGP with an expanded feature-set. Learn more about the RS880 here.

The ECS A880GM-M targets the next-generation mainstream AMD motherboard segment that features support for DDR3 memory. AMD as we know, is releasing an entire range of quad-core, triple-core and dual-core CPU lineup that is based on the DDR3-supportive AM3 socket package. By mid-2010 one can expect DDR3 supportive AMD processors that are backwards compatible with DDR2-supportive AM2+/AM2 motherboards, in any given value thru mainstream price-point. A880GM-M is based on the micro-ATX form factor. Its release will be in-sync with AMD's release of the chipset, which as older reports suggest, is sometime in H2 2009.

Source

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Aww only the RV620 IGP (HD3x00 IGPs)

I was really hopping for a 40nm IGP on these boards. Just to make them that much nicer for HTPCs...

This really doesn't look that different than a 780G besides DDR3 support.
But it does have a new Southbridge. The 710, but I'm not sure what the difference between 710 and 700 is.

·
Registered
787 Posts
710 has AAC support apparently

also the updated 880g is more of a full 3450 now since its not cut down on features like the 780g was by comparison

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr3m1in
View Post

also the updated 880g is more of a full 3450 now since its not cut down on features like the 780g was by comparison

Yeah, I knew about the IGP, but I was a little disappointed to see it still being 55nm.

Because isn't the new 8 series chipsets supposed to be 40nm?
Though it is good to hear the onboard video is boosted some.

As for the AAC support, that is news to me, and really seems nice to have.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Later versions of the chipsets might be 40nm, but this is obviously an early sample so who really knows mate, considering we are only just starting to see 40nm products being listed it might be until the end of the year before they start making 40nm chipsets, id honestly expect to at least see some turn up at 40nm in 2010, and being mentioned later in the year

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

View Post

They are messing that reporting up. Others are reporting that it will have an integrated 3450 core to start with and then get expanded to DX 10.1 probably a 4450 core and sli with 4450. This is stupid. They can dump the ddr3 support for all I care they need to go ahead and integrate 4450 into it and throw in SAS support. That would take a huge driver efffort and need to come up with a processor to run the SAS or integrate it into the 880 chip. But it's AMD they've made tons of RISC chips over their life and should be able to dust something off from the past and tweak it up. 1 external sas port and 2 mini sas ports would give them board real estate to do it. So close but guess they have to play games for a while longer.

I'm sure it would be easier to hybrid a 4450 on chip with pci 3450 than it would be to have 2 versions of that chip with one supporting ddr 2 and 3450 and one supporting ddr3 and 4450. Two 4450's is going to be ALOT of processing power. Who's going want to use a 4850 at 120 watts when you can do it on that with 40 watts.

That sucker is going to be 120 bucks or so though. I'd pay 160 for it with SAS.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Later versions of the chipsets might be 40nm, but this is obviously an early sample so who really knows mate, considering we are only just starting to see 40nm products being listed it might be until the end of the year before they start making 40nm chipsets, id honestly expect to at least see some turn up at 40nm in 2010, and being mentioned later in the year

Yeah, but AMD has been on the ball recently so I was expecting a bit more.

Maybe I'll hold off till 9 series chipsets or 8 series 40nm refresh.
Its not that big of an issue. But I don't think I'm changing over any time soon to AM3, not till the end of year will I really start to think about it.

As I want to hit up HD5xxx cards, + 40nm + 6core goodness all in one go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.