Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't really understand the bigger packaging. Basically won't use it most of the time, occupies space, collects dust, basically a pain in the ass to store and will only need it when I need to sell the cpu so it'll be more convenient with its original box. Same for some GPUs. Why they don't make packaging smaller and save money is beyond me...

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Glad to see AMD diversifying and making kids' lunch boxes.
At least they diversify more than intel to different lithographies, rather than staying on 14nm forever.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Actually i don't agree; this is an HEDT product. I've no objection with its packaging being similarly more (/insert adjective) than that of a mainstream SKU.
Yes, it entails an extra cost which you get to cover. So did your Rolex. Or that Manolo shoe box.

You don't need it, no; and given a certain degree of maturity, you'd be most welcome to scoff at it. But again, you didn't ever buy anything 'premium' shipped in a non-recyclable nylon bag now did you.

If that's all you have to complain about, i'd say we're golden frankly :)

("i don't like the looks" doesn't count; they cannot cater to everyone's aesthetic sensibilities, not simultaneously; they do need to remind you what you're paying for though)

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
It seriously looks like something from the toys aisle. AMD can do better than that! Less is more for packaging, just ask Apple's ingenious marketing team.

AMD doesn't have near the brand recognition of Apple.

Apple could sell something sight unseen (prelaunch), AMD can't really do that.

--------------

In other news MSI has a much stronger VRM than before for the X399 Creation ; ASUS might be charging for the X399 upgrade kit that has a SOC VRM heatsink.

https://videocardz.com/76993/asus-gigabyte-and-msi-announce-x399-motherboards-for-threadripper-wx

·
Registered
187 Posts

--------------

In other news MSI has a much stronger VRM than before for the X399 Creation ; ASUS might be charging for the X399 upgrade kit that has a SOC VRM heatsink.

https://videocardz.com/76993/asus-gigabyte-and-msi-announce-x399-motherboards-for-threadripper-wx
The VRM looks beefy indeed. Finally a board maker with brains to move the CPU power connectors away from the VRM area as well!

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts

--------------

Agreed on packaging 100%. AMD have to get to the point where they are equal to intel in peoples minds when the CPU is mentioned. Until that day, they have to be pushing everything 100%. Including the packaging. If I buy something that is $1000+ i want to feel like i have spent $1000+ even when just holding the packaging. I bought a reference Gigabyte RX Vega 64, and boy was i disappointed in the packaging and included items. No flair or anything saying i have just bought a flagship product. The same can be said with Intel X series CPU's. Nothing in the packaging makes you go WOW.

As for the motherboards, I think the board partners were slightly hesitant to go all out with AMD boards for Ryzen and TR1, and now that TR2 is here, they feel the investment is there to bump the board up a notch. To actually start innovating rather then just reworking and keeping things "safe". I fell in the next few months/rest of the year, we will see a few new boards released that are going to be great.
Thats my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Kudos to AMD admitting they are slower at 1080p, even though completely irrelevant resolution at the high end, at least being honest.
So much this! I found baffling that they are comparing it at 1080p, it´s just ridiculous, if you buy this processor i can be 95% sure you have at least one 4K panel or a high refresh rate monitor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So much this! I found baffling that they are comparing it at 1080p, it´s just ridiculous, if you buy this processor i can be 95% sure you have at least one 4K panel or a high refresh rate monitor.
Amen to this. Who is going to spend £1000 and use 1080p monitor for heaven sake? Or 720p.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Amen to this. Who is going to spend £1000 and use 1080p monitor for heaven sake? Or 720p.
What is wrong playing on a 25" 240hz monitor?

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,577 Posts
What is wrong playing on a 25" 240hz monitor?
... With a 32-core, 64-thread, low-clocked, $1800, half-the-dies-dont-get-memory, 4-die monster?

You're going to try for 240hz on that? It could certainly encode 1080p video at that speed, but cmon now.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts

This is a stress test of sorts to see how much gas the CPU has in the tank - to test how it will potentially perform in a few years because the load on the CPU in upcoming games will be greater at higher resolutions as upcoming faster GPUs will lift their current performance ceilings and thus the higher stress in CPU performance you see now at 1080p will then be seen at 4K - especially single threaded performance, as many games still have one or two main logic threads that are very hard to parallelize more than they already have, so it's got nothing to do with people not realistically going to buy a TR2 16 core CPU and game at 1080p instead of 1440p or 4K.

Having said that, both 1080p and 4K results should be provided so you know what to expect now and what to potentially expect later and thus see the metrics against the competition.

If they only provided 4K test results the critics would say that they were trying to equalize performance artificially because 4K currently puts the stress on the GPU, where not even a 1080 Ti can deliver consistent 60 fps with overall maxed out quality settings, let alone higher than that (and we now have 75 Hz, 90, 100, 120, 144, 165 and 240 Hz monitors), and thus even a recent 4C/8T CPU would have performed within a small margin.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
... With a 32-core, 64-thread, low-clocked, $1800, half-the-dies-dont-get-memory, 4-die monster?

You're going to try for 240hz on that? It could certainly encode 1080p video at that speed, but cmon now.
I didn't say that :)

I play with 7980xe oc ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts