·
Overclocker
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

LooL, look at that latency...

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Alderlake here i come. i got good resale prices for 5950x, mobo, ram making the upgrade only 500cad or so

·
Registered
102 Posts

LooL, look at that latency...
That latency is looking bad but expected from a new Gen of memory.

Raptor lake looks like that going to be a better upgrade to me. So if I was on intel with anything prior to comet lake that is what I would be waiting for. And I see it being a side grade for anyone already on Zen 3. I would prefer to just wait for the 3d chips than to do a full rebuild.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts

Raptor lake looks like that going to be a better upgrade to me. So if I was on intel with anything prior to comet lake that is what I would be waiting for. And I see it being a side grade for anyone already on Zen 3. I would prefer to just wait for the 3d chips than to do a full rebuild.
I agree. I plan on alderlake then jump to meteorlake then one of lunarlake/novalake. I won't be updating for another 2years after this upgrade. Meteor Lake will be whole new pc.

·
Invalid Media
4,768 Posts
Alder Lake looks very interesting for sure, but not feeling any need to upgrade from 5950X, for now, from what little I've seen. I will probably wait until Alder Lake is released, fully tested (beyond select leaks) and available for purchase along with a good range of DDR5. I would also want to know what AMD's answer is in the PCIe 5 / DDR5 space at that time.

Better also budget for new PCIe 5 GPUs and NVMEs :eek:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Alder Lake looks very interesting for sure, but not feeling any need to upgrade from 5950X, for now, from what little I've seen. I will probably wait until Alder Lake is released, fully tested (beyond select leaks) and available for purchase along with a good range of DDR5. I would also want to know what AMD's answer is in the PCIe 5 / DDR5 space at that time.

Better also budget for new PCIe 5 GPUs and NVMEs :eek:
I already have

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would also want to know what AMD's answer is in the PCIe 5 / DDR5 space at that time.
We already know what AMD is doing there.

Zen 4 PCIe 4 & DDR5

Genoa will be PCIe 5 & DDR5

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
We already know what AMD is doing there.

Zen 4 PCIe 4 & DDR5

Genoa will be PCIe 5 & DDR5
Yup, very interesting future. AMD is going Intel Big/Little Route also. Curious how that turns out. It does seem all the major chip companies (Intel/AMD/Apple) are all going down this route.

• Rep+
Reactions: Lionvibez

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yup, very interesting future. AMD is going Intel Big/Little Route also. Curious how that turns out. It does seem all the major chip companies (Intel/AMD/Apple) are all going down this route.
I believe the rumors are we will see AMD's Big/Little in Zen 5.

Interesting times ahead indeed.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,446 Posts
I still wonder when we will see USB 4.0. Also does alder lake support optane dimms? I would love to see some ddr5 optane dimms. lol

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm not too worried about these early leaks of DDR5. I think we'll see significantly better once the platform is released.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I agree. I plan on alderlake then jump to meteorlake then one of lunarlake/novalake. I won't be updating for another 2years after this upgrade. Meteor Lake will be whole new pc.
Do you think AMD is just going to sit on the fence and watch all of this Intel stuff just sail by?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

Considering it smokes ddr4 jdec its good. Gotta remember this isnt overclocked ram.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Do you think AMD is just going to sit on the fence and watch all of this Intel stuff just sail by?
They did for years and got burnt. Intel also has the engineers behind core 2 and first gen i7 back. Expect another home run from intel

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is one synthetic benchmark and we know it was going to double the bandwidth. I would actually wait for some real world benchmarks. DDR5 will be more important in the server market compared to consumer is the point that was being made. Plus like all memory standards it often starts off slower and will get better as it rams up in speed and you start getting quality "B-die" type modules.

• Rep+
Reactions: J7SC and EastCoast

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
This is one synthetic benchmark and we know it was going to double the bandwidth. I would actually wait for some real world benchmarks. DDR5 will be more important in the server market compared to consumer is the point that was being made. Plus like all memory standards it often starts off slower and will get better as it rams up in speed and you start getting quality "B-die" type modules.
we really arnt memory bandwith starved right now anyways.Its gonna really be a pointless upgrade for mainstream setups.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts