Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Just Lift Bro
Joined
·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


Intel carved out high-end socket LGA1156 processors such as the Core i7 800 series, just so people opting for the LGA1156 also have the headroom to upgrade to high-end parts without having to switch to the more powerful LGA1366 platform with its Core i7 900 series processors. There are four parts in the performance-enthusiast (>$250) segment: Core i5 670 dual-core, Core i7 860 and Core i7 870 quad-core. With the possible advent of more powerful socket AM3 processors from AMD, notably the Phenom II X6 series with its overclocker-friendly Black Edition parts, Intel seems to be finding a need to expand its LGA1156 series a little.

In the works are the Core i7 875K quad-core, and Core i5 655K dual-core. Being careful as to not label them "Extreme Edition" chips (since the "Extreme Edition" moniker seems to be clearly demarcated for the LGA1366 platform and the market segment by that na.....

Source/More
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,296 Posts
OT: You have 1337 number of posts! Take a screenie!

That's badass too. ^^ Just makes me wanna go Intel even more now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Haha. We've argued for threads and threads how the 1156 is not a dead end. And look at this were getting more cpus in the end. This would have stopped all the 1156 bashing at the beginning.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,584 Posts
lol maybe Intel is trying to phase out this whole dumb-as-hell dual sockets in one market idea and go back to what they should have done in the first place: One socket full of everything from crappy Celerons to the fastest CPUs out.

Anyone have any idea how many virgins you'll have to sacrifice to buy these things?
 

·
phenomenal swag
Joined
·
3,673 Posts
You'd think that Intel would at least release a 32nm quad by now...The 875K still sounds nice, though...I'm pretty sure the price won't sound so nice...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,195 Posts
Don't see a point in these for about 95% of the people. Current 860's lack of very high clocks isn't due to the multi. They also run hot with HT and they are difficult to keep cool once they pass 4-4.2ghz.
 

·
phenomenal swag
Joined
·
3,673 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S
View Post

I wonder if 1156 is gonna get a hexacore.

It won't, at least according to Intel's roadmap. LGA1156 is far from a dead socket, though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,139 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
View Post

Intel should offer a Gulftown without HT for 399.99


That'd be more or less be a huge mistake for Intel. It's absolutely crush there x58 market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,655 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
View Post

Intel should offer a Gulftown without HT for 399.99

I'm pretty sure that Intel will offer gulftown with HT for $285 on late 2010/early 2011
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by dham
View Post

Haha. We've argued for threads and threads how the 1156 is not a dead end. And look at this were getting more cpus in the end. This would have stopped all the 1156 bashing at the beginning.

I was preaching this during the LGA 1156 hate, everything pointed to LGA 1156 having more CPU's than LGA 1366. I mean it had more chipsets planned and was made to replace LGA 775 as the mainstream. Not to mention there was a lot of speculation talking about Core i3 and processors w/ GPU's int. and it was all true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ThePath
View Post

I'm pretty use that Intel will offer gulftown with HT for $285 on late 2010/early 2011

I have a hard time believing it will ever be that cheap, just look at the Q9650, its still over $300.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
Don't see a point in these for about 95% of the people. Current 860's lack of very high clocks isn't due to the multi. They also run hot with HT and they are difficult to keep cool once they pass 4-4.2ghz.
These are my thoughts exactly. Core i7s , especially the new revisions, are totally limited by their thermal output. Those things overclock well....but they hit the air wall a little after 4GHz. They hit the water wall at about 4.4Ghz...They just run very very hot. Unlocking the multi won't change the limiting factor here....shrinking the die with a new process like 32nm would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by smash_mouth01
View Post

Hopefully better motherboards to, ones that don't burn out.

Oh yea man this turned out to be a real big problem. My pins are so burnt and nasty at 4 ghz. /sarcasm


Go back to troll land.

Quote:


Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222
View Post

I was preaching this during the LGA 1156 hate, everything pointed to LGA 1156 having more CPU's than LGA 1366. I mean it had more chipsets planned and was made to replace LGA 775 as the mainstream. Not to mention there was a lot of speculation talking about Core i3 and processors w/ GPU's int. and it was all true.

Yea man you probably saw me right there with you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,941 Posts
Just so long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, cause I am running out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
I doubt they will overclock any better than the regular chips, it is not an extreme edition; so it is nothing special. Just an unlocked chip. If you remember they released the E6500K and it wasn't any better than the E6500 other than the unlocked multi.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top