Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:

MSI is rolling out a new premium GeForce GTX 460 SKU, the N460GTX HAWK "Talon Attack". The new model is based on the same design as the N460GTX HAWK the company released over a month ago, except that is uses lower latency memory chips (better), at 0.4 ns; and higher clock speeds. The core is clocked at 810 MHz (compared to 780 MHz on the N460GTX HAWK); CUDA cores at 1620 MHz (vs. 1560), and memory at 975 MHz or 3900 MHz GDDR5 effective (vs. 900 or 3600 MHz effective).

http://www.techpowerup.com/132163/MS...hics-Card.html

·
I heard you were dead...
8,514 Posts
This reminds me of the Sapphire Atomic Edition cards; they were just Toxic Edition cards with cooler stickers (except for the 4870x2; there was no Toxic Edition of that.)

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
This is only because the original Hawk was a fail, and it's nothing new. The Zotac 460 Extreme uses 0.4ns chips and is probably better than this, PCB design seems better and has a full-coverage heatsink. MSI need to stop revising cards and just make 1 good card.. its like the 5870 Lightning and L II.. only NVIDIA.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
sounds at first glance to be as much of a marketing scam as the Hawk was... i'll wait for reviews from different sources before passing judgment.

·
Premium Member
8,426 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocstar96
View Post

I wish the GTS 450s had 0.4ns chips

I've seen at least one that does
Unfortunately it isn't mine

The addition of the .4ns memory modules will make clocking memory more interesting... Should be able to squeeze a bit more memory bandwidth out of it
I miss my 460s

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Eh, after that stunt it pulled w/ the original Hawk, I'm not really expecting anything great out of this card.

·
Premium Member
21,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deluxe
View Post

And still, they underclock the memory.
As the standard 460 memory is rated for 1000 MHz instead of 900.

Tighter timings mean lower memory clock. These aren't the stock memory modules therefore they don't need to follow the stock clocks.

It's like 1800 C6 vs 2000 C7. I'd probably take the 1800 C6.

·
Premium Member
21,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here
View Post

A nice kick to the gonads for the original HAWK buyers.

Just like the Lightning II was to the Lightning I owners.

MSI needs to get the damn thing right the first time...

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

Just like the Lightning II was to the Lightning I owners.

MSI needs to get the damn thing right the first time...

they did, with the Cyclone *whistle*

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Go GTX460 HAWK! Use Talon Attack!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweffymo View Post
This reminds me of the Sapphire Atomic Edition cards; they were just Toxic Edition cards with cooler stickers (except for the 4870x2; there was no Toxic Edition of that.)
Actually the Atomics had higher OC thresholds than the Toxics. OC results in this review.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I look at this and think:

When does V-TEC kick in?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.