Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
NVIDIA's GK104 GPU exceeded performance expectations, which allowed it to drive this generation's flagship single-GPU graphics card for NVIDIA, the GTX 680, giving the company time to perfect the most upscaled chip of this generation, and for its foundry partners to refine its 28 nm manufacturing process. When it's time for Kepler Refresh to go to office, TSMC will have refined its process enough for mass-production of GK110, a 7.1 billion transistor chip on which NVIDIA's low-volume Tesla K20 GPU compute accelerator is currently based.

The GK110 will take back the reins of powering NVIDIA's flagship single-GPU product, the GeForce GTX 780. This product could offer a massive 40-55% performance increase over GeForce GTX 680, with a price ranging anywhere between US $499 and $599. The same chip could even power the second fastest single-GPU SKU, the GTX 770. The GK110 physically packs 2880 CUDA cores, and a 384-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface.
Source

Rumors guys.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Source
Rumors guys.
Id rather have this over the 15% increase that was posted in the other thread. This seems more likely imo

So many conflicting Rumors :\... I hope its actually this.. Still running my GTX460.. looking for a reason to upgrade, just waiting for it to die..

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timma100 View Post

Id rather have this over the 15% increase that was posted in the other thread. This seems more likely imo
So many conflicting Rumors :\... I hope its actually this.. Still running my GTX460.. looking for a reason to upgrade, just waiting for it to die..
Not most likely at all. Nvidia won't sell cards 50% faster. If you think that you underestimate the Nvidia marketing department quite a bit. They're in this business to make money, not to make you happy.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukkel View Post

Not most likely at all. Nvidia won't sell cards 50% faster. If you think that you underestimate the Nvidia marketing department quite a bit. They're in this business to make money, not to make you happy.
If that card is 50% faster(pretty big IF), NV marketing would delay it till Mid April or even later while trying to sell as many of their 670/680 stock as possible, or mark it up to $650+ if 8970 turns out to be say 20% faster than 7970.

·
Banned
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasp1js View Post

No way in hell the they are releasing the full 2880 core version.
Why not not?

Nvidia did the same thing with the 400 series, designed a big GPU which could not be made cheaply and efficiently, that's the reason the GTX 480 shipped with 480 Cuda cores instead of the original 512 that Nvidia originally specified.

Same thing with Kepler.....

·
MegaTechPC
19,220 Posts
I wouldn't brag about the 480 as a positive for Nvidia. It was rather a fiasco if I recall correctly and GK110 seems to be having the same kinds of issues. I'm not sure how impressive a 300W, 500mhz chip with no overvolting would be?. Then again nobody really knows what's going on so maybe Nvidia will repeat the 580 rather than the 480...

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukkel View Post

I don't really see the problem. There's nothing stopping them from releasing something that performs really well, the thing is though that it's going to priced accordingly.

Besides holding the single GPU crown by a big margin gives a really good PR boost.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe View Post

15% now 40-50%
What about creating an article with this
THIS JUST IN
GTX 780 WILL SMOKE THE GTX 680.
At least now we'd have a true statement for once.
The 15% number was regarding the GK104 refresh, not the GK110. GK110 doubles almost everything with a noticeable bump in fillrates... 50% is not that hard to believe.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When in doubt, disregard SemiAccurate.

·
MegaTechPC
19,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

The 15% number was regarding the GK104 refresh, not the GK110. GK110 doubles almost everything with a noticeable bump in fillrates... 50% is not that hard to believe.
You're not taking clock speed into account. If that gets severely gimped there's no way its 50% faster...

·
Registered
795 Posts
I read another thread that said Nvidia would use the GK114 to power the GTX 780. This makes alot more sense to me as using the GK110 would be insane improvements over the GK104 and would probably merit more than the $500 price point.

I would certainly like to get the gtx 780 with the GK110, but I think just like the GK104, Nvidia will realise that they can hold their hand and release a lower end chip for the same price.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.