Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

NVIDIA Corporation, inventor of the GPU, today announced the launch of the GPU Ventures Program, a new global initiative whose aim is to identify, support and invest in early stage companies leveraging the GPU for visual and other computing applications. NVIDIA is also launching the GPU Venture Zone website, a portal to publicly showcase the innovative GPU applications being developed by its ecosystem partners.
"The GPU Ventures Program represents a huge opportunity for young ambitious companies basing their businesses around the GPU. These companies are the innovators that will fuel the continued growth of the GPU platform," said Jeff Herbst, vice president of business development at NVIDIA. "Through this program we will provide financial, marketing and other support to help start-up companies realize their full potential and we strongly encourage interested entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and others to reach out to us with their ideas."

Through the GPU Ventures Program, NVIDIA intends to evaluate companies that leverage the GPU for both consumer and professional applications in all areas such as video and image enhancement, scientific discovery, financial analysis and 3D interfaces. Investments are expected to range from $500K to $5Million, and strategic partnerships are expected to span joint marketing, joint development, product distribution and beyond.

"NVIDIA's support, through investment, strategic partnership and joint marketing, has helped us to raise additional capital and gain customer visibility much more quickly," said Sam Blackman, CEO of Elemental Technologies. "We share NVIDIA's passion for using the GPU as a parallel processor, for more than just graphics, and we actively encourage other companies interested in this exciting market to join the visual computing ecosystem."

In addition to Elemental Technologies, NVIDIA has also invested in successful start ups including Acceleware, Keyhole Corporation (acquired by Google for Google Earth), Mental Images (acquired by NVIDIA), MotionDSP and Right Hemisphere. These companies were among 60 other start-ups that met with key figures in the investment and technical community at NVIDIA's 2008 Emerging Companies Summit, due to take place again in the Fall of 2009.

"NVIDIA's first annual Emerging Companies Summit was a world class event , perhaps the best and most informative private company showcase in 2008" said Drew Lanza, general partner at Morgenthaler Ventures. "We view parallel computing on the GPU as an exciting and disruptive growth opportunity for our existing and future portfolio companies, and we applaud NVIDIA's efforts to support this ecosystem through its new GPU Ventures Program and other related initiatives."

If you would like to submit a business plan or attend the Emerging Companies Summit, interested parties are asked to email [email protected] for more information and please visit the GPU Venture Zone website at http://www.nvidia.com/gpuventures.

source

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

NVIDIA Corporation, inventor of the GPU

*sigh*

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wow, sounds like nVidias getting even fuller of themselves. Someone should smack 'em before their heads get to full of hot air and start spouting off worse stuff. Other than that, this was quite interesting. Nice find.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Sure they did, just ask Mr Jensen

This sounds to me like NV's R&D is in need of desperate help.
Or is this not the hardware side?
Neither.

Basically, they are giving people money to find uses or build apps for CUDA.

·
Banned
3,579 Posts
oh yeah nvidia, get your gpu's doing stuff other than 3dapps when you haven't got any processing headroom for them to do it, good one.

"duuuh our gpu's are running at 100% capacity to get 40fps in crysis, a game 18 months old. lets take 20% of that power and use it to process physics and cut framerates to 32fps. i know less frames are worse but i'm sure the marketing guys can either omit this small detail from dev's/the public or spin some BS that we, the engineers, will be able to make a future card with processing headroom even running the best 3dapps maxxed out for less than a hundred million dollars or a firstborn child"

what a load.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
oh yeah nvidia, get your gpu's doing stuff other than 3dapps when you haven't got any processing headroom for them to do it, good one.

"duuuh our gpu's are running at 100% capacity to get 40fps in crysis, a game 18 months old. lets take 20% of that power and use it to process physics and cut framerates to 32fps. i know less frames are worse but i'm sure the marketing guys can either omit this small detail from dev's/the public or spin some BS that we, the engineers, will be able to make a future card with processing headroom even running the best 3dapps maxxed out for less than a hundred million dollars or a firstborn child"

what a load.
What? ATI can't do much better in Crysis either.

This is for parallel processing applications like land surveying, weather modeling, CAD, bond modeling, AI, ect. It has nothing to do with gaming.

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post

what a load.
crysis playes very smooth with 25+ FPS, give me one single reason why using any capacity that isnt used to reach 25-30 FPS for something better, isnt actually better.

·
OG OC
2,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
*sigh*

perfect!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAHOP240
View Post

Hey, I think I found the next great GPU company! They call themselves...ATI.

Next Great GPU Computing Company.

ATI Stream program is pretty much dead at this point: http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/

They are waiting for OpenCL.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
This ATI vs Nvidia bs is getting as bad as mac vs pc. Let nVidia do what they want. I hate them as a company, but if they bring something good to the table and it benefits us and our wallets, why complain?

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Not until we have a single, unbiased, way to utilize GPUs. CUDA is great, but ATI won't sign up because it's not open. And ATI knows it would be heavily optimized to make sure the nVidia cards are better in it in any way possible. So until the companies agree on something fair to everyone. It isn't happening.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan
View Post

This ATI vs Nvidia bs is getting as bad as mac vs pc. Let nVidia do what they want. I hate them as a company, but if they bring something good to the table and it benefits us and our wallets, why complain?

I love the fact that the ATI fanboys are missing the entire point. Utterly oblivious. If they read even half the article, they would realize that GPU Computing is not the same a GPU Producing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

Not until we have a single, unbiased, way to utilize GPUs. CUDA is great, but ATI won't sign up because it's not open. And ATI knows it would be heavily optimized to make sure the nVidia cards are better in it in any way possible. So until the companies agree on something fair to everyone. It isn't happening.

OpenCL will be supported by NVIDIA and ATI.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
All a fanboy needs to see is the company name. Then that company just sucks somehow.

I hope they do good in this newer market, being able to utilize the GPU for visual design/intensive apps would be nice.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

*sigh*

Exactly. They're just looking for more companies that they can merge and takeover.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Because ATI has never been involved in a merger or takeover. Haha

I need to get out of this thread

1 - 20 of 37 Posts