1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...lon_II_X4_645/
Conclusion 8.9/10

Quote:

With a price of $ 122, fast clocked cores, okay power consumption and backward compatibility to AM2+ sockets using DDR2 or DDR3 memory, it's really hard to find flaws in Athlon II X4 645. Even in its weakest segment, gaming performance, Athlon II X4 645 performed more than acceptable making up the lack of L3 cache with higher clocked cores. But I can't shake the feeling AMD almost forced this fastest Athlon II X4 model to where it landed, and with just a little bit of luck, or should we say help from Intel. Although Intel can come up with an answer to Athlon II X4 645 quite easily, it chooses not to play AMD's aggressive pricing game and in doing so, it's making more than enough room on the market that AMD can exploit with processors such is Athlon II X4 645.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...nom_II_X4_970/
Conclusion 8.7/10

Quote:

As for performance, Phenom II 965 BE and Intel's Core i5 750 were neck to neck. AMD's new X4 970 BE wins the same battle but just by a fraction of a hair. Its biggest flaw is still the much higher power consumption under load compared to Intel's Core i5 750. In our benchmarks it is either very tied to i5 750, or wins by a small or barely noticeable margin, depending on the benchmark. Intel still has the edge in single threaded applications, but it's loosing ground in the gaming segment, ending just slightly faster overall. Nevertheless, AMD managed to put a lot of pressure on Intel with a price that is $10 lower price than that of the i5 750. Not much, but that could turn out just to be enough to sway you over to the green side, if you're happy with the stock performance and settings Phenom II X4 970 BE offers. Enthusiasts and gamers still have a much bigger headroom to experiment with overclocking and performance, if opting for Intel's Core i5 750 or newer i5 760. If you were to choose the new Phenom II X4 970 BE, you'd make no mistakes. It's a great refresh for the Phenom II X4 range, and as said before, it just offers you a bit more for the same price.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Wow.. 3.5GHz out of the box is just awesome.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Need some good overclocking results from OCN!

·
Registered
138 Posts
It looks like AMD is starting to match Intel's performance (even if it wasn't by much.)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersaiyenx View Post
It looks like AMD is starting to match Intel's performance (even if it wasn't by much.)
Just wait until Bulldozer

·
Premium Member
9,378 Posts
This is like netburst.

Higher core speed != faster CPU

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post
Meh, all you need to do with that i5 is OC it a couple hundred mhz and you're beating the 970, easily.

Unimpressed. AMD needs to hold off on releasing chips until Bulldozer comes out, until then they'll never truly beat Intel.

Even after BD, I doubt it.
These processors are speed bumps. They are meant to take the place of the current fastest Athlon/Phenom II X4 at the same price point.

With no price increase, what is there to complain about?

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reflex99 View Post
This is like netburst.

Higher core speed != faster CPU
Son, this is overclock.net, and that's about as close as you can get to blasphemy.

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
Quote:

Meh, all you need to do with that i5 is OC it a couple hundred mhz and you're beating the 970, easily.

Unimpressed. AMD needs to hold off on releasing chips until Bulldozer comes out, until then they'll never truly beat Intel.

I am an AMD Man and i love the price of the new chip but I have to agree with this guy. They have to come up with something that can compete with the i7 or it's just not in the same class.

·
OG AMD
8,879 Posts
Quote:

wonder why....

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
About bloody time...these were supposed to be out about a month or two ago.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma8750 View Post
I am an AMD Man and i love the price of the new chip but I have to agree with this guy. They have to come up with something that can compete with the i7 or it's just not in the same class.
they need something to compete with the new i7s not trading blows with i5s and trading blows with low end i7s (which thuban does), this sometime in 2011 stuff is worrisome.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

You neglect the fact that the vast majority of end users never overclock their
PCs.

If AMD can release a chip that is as fast as an entry level Core i7 at stock speeds for less money 90% of end users will see that as the best choice. I recently did a really nice high end build for a customer with a 980x. The chip was under good cooling and I could have EASILY popped it up to 4Ghz, but he didn't want to overclock it. A lot of end users are that way.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Okay I just went back and re-read through their overclocking results and is it just me or do these guys suck at overclocking. 3.7Ghz on the Athlon II....the 640's were hitting 4Ghz with the same amount of voltage that they were using to get 3.7.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
970 ? nah thanks
955 ftw

1 - 20 of 34 Posts