Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
woot
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.techpowerup.com/245584/prices-of-first-gen-amd-threadrippers-drop-like-a-rock

Intel's strategy against AMD's unexpected doubling in core-counts of its Ryzen Threadripper HEDT processors has been that of a headless chicken in a room painted Vantablack. It announced a 28-core processor that would require you to buy a new motherboard; and is frantically working on a 22-core processor for the existing LGA2066 platform. It's looking like AMD isn't in a mood to walk into Intel's core-count trap, and could hit Intel where it hurts the most - pricing. The top-dog 32-core part has already reared its head on German web-stores, seeking a little over 1,500€, just 500€ more than the price its previous-generation 16-core flagship, the Threadripper 1950X launched at. At 1,500€-ish, AMD could end up disrupting Intel's entire >10-core lineup that's priced between $1199 to $1999, currently occupied by 12-core, 14-core, 16-core, and 18-core SKUs.

AMD may not spare Intel's sub-$1000 Core X lineup, either. Prices of first-generation Ryzen Threadripper processors are seeing a dramatic drop, with the flagship Threadripper 1950X being priced under 650€. Prices of the 12-core Threadripper 1920X have slipped to just under 550€. The Core i9-7900X, meanwhile, continues to command a touch over 880€. The drop in prices of first-gen Threadrippers is likely retailers trying to clear out inventories to make room for 2nd generation Threadrippers. It could also be a prelude to AMD announcing more affordable 12-core and 16-core Threadrippers based on the 2nd generation "Zen+" architecture.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
AMD smells blood in the water.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
AMD is trying to get market share and get there product out there over the next few generations, this will work well in the long term.

They are also trying to wipe a dirty slate from there past and get fresh new mind share amoungst the masses. Hence there bold marketing campagin(names like threadripper)

Intel will eventually need to be reminded they also need mindshare once there start to disapeer.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,402 Posts
AMD is trying to get market share and get there product out there over the next few generations, this will work well in the long term.

They are also trying to wipe a dirty slate from there past and get fresh new mind share amoungst the masses. Hence there bold marketing campagin(names like threadripper)

Intel will eventually need to be reminded they also need mindshare once there start to disapeer.
Hopefully their attempts to gain market share will succeed and general programs and games will get better at making use of all of those core's potential.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
AMD just want to bring their CPU to the masses. Intel just forget that they are selling product to consumers, they thought they are Tyrant king demanding extortion from their citizen.
And they are paying the price. AMD is smashing their door in from every angle. They may not have the performance crown, but who cares when you are barely behind and for a fraction the price. Soooooo many users here have jumped on board. Server companies are as well. Intel is hands down loosing sales hand over fist and this is just going to make it worse. People that don't care about the "latest and greatest" will easily grab the original TR's on the cheap. Hell I want one lol.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts
And the Ryzen chips are so much cheaper to make. They can basically keep lowering the price and still make a profit. Which is something Intel can't do.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
And they are paying the price. AMD is smashing their door in from every angle. They may not have the performance crown, but who cares when you are barely behind and for a fraction the price. Soooooo many users here have jumped on board. Server companies are as well. Intel is hands down loosing sales hand over fist and this is just going to make it worse. People that don't care about the "latest and greatest" will easily grab the original TR's on the cheap. Hell I want one lol.
By next year with 7nm, Zen should and will surpass Intel, in all performance metric that include Single threaded, clock and IPCs. Its not hard. they are just a hair behind currently.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I'm proud of my 1950x, it gets the job done and handles everything with ease. I managed to choke the cpu in a few games (100% on all cores) but I didn't notice any hiccups. It handles the 1080ti pretty well too... should add another 1080ti as I have a 4k display I'm using. :)

·
Let's go Sharks!
565 Posts
The Phenom series of CPUs were such a fun generation. I'd love to see AMD put out killer gaming CPUs again!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
And the Ryzen chips are so much cheaper to make. They can basically keep lowering the price and still make a profit. Which is something Intel can't do.
Intel can basically do the same thing and push their LGA 3647 28-core platform out where it's got dual dies strapped on a single substrate. I wanna guess the 28 core dual die chip is probably actually cheaper to produce than a single 22 core single die.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,577 Posts
Intel can basically do the same thing and push their LGA 3647 28-core platform out where it's got dual dies strapped on a single substrate. I wanna guess the 28 core dual die chip is probably actually cheaper to produce than a single 22 core single die.
The 28-core is not a dual-die part. It is a single monolithic chip, just like the 22-core. It's a staggering 698mm^2, or just a bit smaller than a Titan V (815mm^2).

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/skylake_(server)#Extreme_Core_Count_.28XCC.29

A Ryzen chip is just 192mm^2.
LCC (up-to 10-core SL-X) is 322mm^2.
HCC (up-to 18-core SL-X) is 484mm^2.
An 8700k is 151mm^2.
A 7700K is 125mm^2.

Except remember, the bigger the die the worse the yield and the harder the binning, so it gets exponentially harder to produce bigger chips.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I'm proud of my 1950x, it gets the job done and handles everything with ease. I managed to choke the cpu in a few games (100% on all cores) but I didn't notice any hiccups. It handles the 1080ti pretty well too... should add another 1080ti as I have a 4k display I'm using. :)
How are you maxing out 16 cores at 100% gaming at 4K where you're GPU limited?

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,730 Posts

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts
It costs more to make a larger die. Because you can only fit so many on a wafer. And Intel's die yield is probably really low do to the size of the die.

Basically...
Intel's wafer= 70 dies? Intel's die is so large so their yield is bad? I'll say their yield is 25% so they can make 22 28c cpu's with 1 wafer?
AMD's wafer= 250 dies? AMD Yield was 80% so 200 dies. 4 dies per cpu. So AMD can make 50 32c cpu's with 1 wafer?
And that is just a lot of guessing. I have no idea what the yield of that 28c monster is or how many dies they can fit on a wafer. But 25% is probably being really nice.
And my math is really bad so i am going to bed...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts