Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
WhipTail Technologies Inc., a provider of solid-state drive (SSD) tier 0 storage appliances, announced availability of its 6TB WhipTail SSD appliance. Still manufactured as a 2 rack unit (2U), this makes WhipTail the highest-capacity SSD tier 0 appliance available to mid- to large-sized enterprises, with the smallest footprint.

"Enterprise customers continuously seek solutions that increase performance while satisfying their need for higher capacity. With advancements in technology, SSDs increasingly are sought after to deliver in many demanding applications," said Jeff Janukowicz, research manager, Hard Disk Drive Components and Solid State Drives, IDC. "As a relatively new player in the enterprise SSD space, WhipTail is making a name for itself with the introduction of 6TB, high performance SSD, a capacity point rarely seen."

WhipTail, now available in 1.5, 3.0 and 6.0 TB and varying levels of redundancies, is best suited for enterprises with poorly performing databases, over-taxed virtualization storage pools and under-performing email systems.

When compared with traditional storage, the WhipTail SSD appliance:

* Accelerates the delivery of data by a factor of 10
* Reduces report run time by a factor of 10
* Provides up to a 90 percent energy savings
* Reduces the data center footprint by 60 percent
* Reduces database report generation and load time by 90 percent

WhipTail pricing starts at $46,000 for a 1.5 TB system.

"One of Tier 0 storage's downfalls to date has been the perception within the industry that it's too expensive," said Ed Rebholz, CEO of WhipTail Technologies. "Since WhipTail's introduction earlier this year, we've already made significant strides in helping our industry peers to gain a new perspective. And in introducing the 6TB capacity, not only is WhipTail setting the bar for performance, footprint and affordability, but now we're the SSD capacity leader."
Source

·
Registered
262 Posts
Holy Pricetag, Batman!!!

If you're an enterprise that wants the bleeding edge surely theres a deal where you can buy one and get an office building free!

*Wonders what kind of bench would suffice for this hardware*

·
Registered
816 Posts
The point is not the cost spent on one piece of equipment, if a company buys two of these to replace 10 HDD based storage solutions for their servers they will exponentially increase iops and lower their energy bill, if you replace enough you can recoup your costs in a short amount of time.
Google does the same thing, except reversed, instead of one mega-power hungry server they use a custom designed stripped-down server cluster with the same performance but less cost initially and over time.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Im pretty sure that comparing this device to a drive that you might buy for your own personal (individual is the key word here) use.

Your talking industrial grade for one thing, for an enterprise 40k is chump change, especially when it consumes less power and has less failure points (moving parts) than disk setups.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You guys whining about the price amaze me... Where I work we just dropped 117,000$ on 25 TB of RAID10 storage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gentlemen,

I am the CTO and the driving force behind WhipTail development. I have noticed that we are often compared on a $/GB level with traditional storage mediums. While this is a valid comparision for tier 2 data needs, our appliance is shooting for a different market.

WhipTail provides Tier 0 storage for the enterprise customer. What is Tier 0? Tier 0 is where the most critical and time sensitive data resides. Think about things like: OLTP (online transaction processing), Virtualization, Enterprise Messaging (Exchange, Lotus Domino, etc), Databases (Oracle, SQL, DB2, etc).

What is unique about our product is that we can provide Tier 0 performance at the cost of traditional Tier 1 storage. Feel free to compare us with a new EMC or NetApp storage array.

I know this site is not aimed at the enterprise customer, but I thought I'd share our thoughts.

Take care,

James Candelaria
CTO
WhipTail Technologies
[email protected]

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipTail View Post
Gentlemen,

I am the CTO and the driving force behind WhipTail development. I have noticed that we are often compared on a $/GB level with traditional storage mediums. While this is a valid comparision for tier 2 data needs, our appliance is shooting for a different market.

WhipTail provides Tier 0 storage for the enterprise customer. What is Tier 0? Tier 0 is where the most critical and time sensitive data resides. Think about things like: OLTP (online transaction processing), Virtualization, Enterprise Messaging (Exchange, Lotus Domino, etc), Databases (Oracle, SQL, DB2, etc).

What is unique about our product is that we can provide Tier 0 performance at the cost of traditional Tier 1 storage. Feel free to compare us with a new EMC or NetApp storage array.

I know this site is not aimed at the enterprise customer, but I thought I'd share our thoughts.

Take care,

James Candelaria
CTO
WhipTail Technologies
[email protected]
Wow. I was just reading this as more of a curiosity point, however, now I have to say thank you, and best of luck to your product and company.

Not very often do you see a company have a representative create an account just to post when the product in question will probably not relate to the forum or site in general.

I'm sure there are a few people on these forum's who would be interested, or work for a company that would be, and I hope they manage to see this.

It seems like a great idea, as a Geek Squad agent I know the uses of such technology and why it has a higher price point than say a PC with 6tb of raided SSD's.

If I may, I would suggest you try to get in contact with your local Best Buy and see if you can be added to the Best Buy for Business product list, I know that our BBFB and Special Agent's could find some homes for this product.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipTail View Post
Gentlemen,

Take care,

James Candelaria
CTO
WhipTail Technologies
[email protected]
I am stunned that you took the time to reply to a message board like this! It always impresses me when the "big guys" do come out to regular consumer based forums and clear things up.

Thanks James, and take care. I hope you guys do well in the future!

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Criss
View Post

You guys whining about the price amaze me... Where I work we just dropped 117,000$ on 25 TB of RAID10 storage.

Here's the thing. It says the prices START at $46,000 for a 1.5 TB system.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It depends entirely on how large the company is in my opinion and how many units you would be replacing. Less power is a good thing but if the cost is so great that the power saving returns are not going to come even close to being worth it then I don't see a point.

The cost for a 1.5TB unit also seems very high in my opinion and comparisons would need to be made with other industry leading setups and what a company themselves could build.

More or less what is offered compared to anyone else for the premium and keeping in mind that SSDs currently are mostly good for critical time data and front ends for server systems and data centers.

Yes it is chump change to some companies but that isn't chump change at all when you consider a lot of these units to replace current disc systems.

Many companies I know currently just use a rack of SSDs for front end and time critical operations, storage and everything else is purely mechanical because the cost ratio is just far too high for returns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.