Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
40-nm yield problems could drag into next year

Despite TSMC's assurances, 40-nm yields might not improve until well into next year. So says Fudzilla, which got word from anonymous sources that those yields are still stuck around the 50% mark, and that the resulting shortage of 40-nm graphics processors might not ease until the second quarter of 2010.

If you're not in the know, TSMC produces GPUs for the vast majority of graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia, and it's responsible for the ongoing scarceness of Radeon HD 5800-series cards based on the 40-nm Cypress chip. TSMC itself admitted to manufacturing problems in October, saying "chamber matching issues" had caused yields to fall to 40%. However, TSMC CEO Morris Chang vowed things would go back to normal before the end of the year.

As Fudzilla points out, poor yields continuing into next year would affect not just AMD's Cypress, but also Nvidia's next-gen, Fermi-based GF100 GPU. The GF100 should have...
Source

Same old song.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Durr I wonder if it will affect the Fermi launch hurr.

Every day Fermi is delayed is a day that ATI's cards are in short supply, and a day closer to a Fermi launch without production shortages.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Oh god damn it. TSMC's general suckery is pissing me off. I hope GF kicks their ass once they get up and running.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX View Post
What else is new(s)

This has been pointed out before, again, and again.... its getting boring.
Nice turn of phrase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
Oh god damn it. TSMC's general suckery is pissing me off. I hope GF kicks their ass once they get up and running.
Too bad Globalfoundries isn't doing 40nm for gpus.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Thats just great...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There goes my hope for a Fermi/Evergreen price war. This is simply unacceptable.

·
Registered
890 Posts
seriously old news.

Oh now, i wont be able to benchmark brag a new chipset until Q2 2010.. ZOMG.

Not like it REALLY matters to anyone except team green.... and of course all their retailers... except that more GTX285s and 295's will sell at 300-600 dollars..

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is rather unfortunate. If 6 series get released next year, what a disasterous 5 series ><

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
They've sold pretty much every 5 series card they've made, except for some 5750s. Hardly a disaster so far.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
Ok, who's stealing all our nanometers?
i am

*runs and hides*

Were they having better luck with the old HD4 series? Maybe they should make a HD5 series card with the same nm of last gen?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino View Post
i am

*runs and hides*

Were they having better luck with the old HD4 series? Maybe they should make a HD5 series card with the same nm of last gen?
Yeah, the 4xxx series had great yields (AFAIK)...might be due to ATI using the 55nm process on the 3xxx series as well.

A 55nm RV870 die would be quite large, consume more power, and be more expensive to make. Much better for them to just wait for 40nm process to pan out.

They're supposedly making the jump to the 28nm process with the 6xxx series, so hopefully GF will be better than TSMC.

·
Banned
4,189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post
Durr I wonder if it will affect the Fermi launch hurr.

Every day Fermi is delayed is a day that ATI's cards are in short supply, and a day closer to a Fermi launch without production shortages.
tee hee.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts