Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ADATA Nobility USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Quote:

Flash Drives have been around for almost a decade and have seen a number of technological advances improving performance, size, power and data density. Originally designed as an upgrade over a floppy disk for moving data physically from one computer to another, the modern flash drive has about as many uses as there are types of flash drives available. Transferring family photos to another family member’s computer without needing to send them over the internet, a simple means of transferring driver and updates to a fresh OS install, or even installing an operating system like Windows or Linux can all be accomplished with a flash drive. One thing has not changed though, the standard flash drive is more costly per GB and no faster than an optical disk.
Advances in NAND storage technology have improved the speed at which solid state memory devices can transfer data, along with a new faster bus to handle the capabilities it brings to storage technology. The ADATA Nobility N005 USB 3.0 (Or Super Speed USB) advertises a Sustained Read rate of 85MBps with writes of up to 55MBps. This is nearly 3x the throughput of a standard “fast†USB 2.0 flash drive

·
Registered
1 Posts
My experience:

I brought one N005 32GB 6 weeks ago, with official shop receipt and warranty.

When i return home, I found that it cannot be written in USB 3.0 mode.
I go back to the shop next day and ask for exchange, and they tell me
to go to the repair center.

Then, when i get to the repair center, they said they don't have USB 3.0 tester, so it will go back to factory.

I wait a month and got the repaired stick yesterday,oh XXXX, it is now 4GB.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by antony_lee View Post
My experience:

I brought one N005 32GB 6 weeks ago, with official shop receipt and warranty.

When i return home, I found that it cannot be written in USB 3.0 mode.
I go back to the shop next day and ask for exchange, and they tell me
to go to the repair center.

Then, when i get to the repair center, they said they don't have USB 3.0 tester, so it will go back to factory.

I wait a month and got the repaired stick yesterday,oh XXXX, it is now 4GB.
lol classic

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
***, you need to have word with the rma people. it seems like every other day i'm hearing about companies i buy from i have a product of are not proper honoring warentees or properly RMAing products like they should.

I imagine it will be a while before usb 3.0 flash drives are main stream but, i hope they are as fast as they sounds like os installs might just be faster than before.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Still, not that quick though, I mean it's slower than current SATA hard drives - I was expecting similar performance to current hard disk drives (SSD-level performance is a pipe dream), but this doesn't even match the last UDMA HDD incarnations

Can someone explain to me why USB is a fundamentally slower protocol than a IDE/SATA bus controller?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
is it even close to ide?

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
How much is this? If it's as fast as it seems for a good price I'll take one, put my portable apps on it and call it a day. I don't believe these flash drives are meant to be as fast as full solid state drives for the reason of marketing and (more importantly) price to the consumer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
How much is this? If it's as fast as it seems for a good price I'll take one, put my portable apps on it and call it a day. I don't believe these flash drives are meant to be as fast as full solid state drives for the reason of marketing and (more importantly) price to the consumer.
Links to the 16gb, 32gb and 64gb models at the bottom of the second page: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/10/...flash-drive/2/

$74.99 for the 32GB model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.