Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog...s/25875/?p1=A3

Quote:
The Central Processing Unit (CPU)--the component that has defined the performance of your computer for many years--has hit a wall.

In fact, the next-generation of CPUs, including Intel's forthcoming Sandy Bridge processor, have to contend with multiple walls--a memory bottleneck (the bandwidth of the channel between the CPU and a computer's memory); the instruction level parallelism (ILP) wall (the availability of enough discrete parallel instructions for a multi-core chip) and the power wall (the chip's overall temperature and power consumption).

Of the three, the power wall is now arguably the defining limit of the power of the modern CPU. As CPUs have become more capable, their energy consumption and heat production has grown rapidly. It's a problem so tenacious that chip manufacturers have been forced to create "systems on a chip"--conurbations of smaller, specialized processors. These systems are so sprawling and diverse that they've caused long-time industry observers like Linley Gwennap of Microprocessor Report to question whether the original definition of a CPU even applies to today's chips.
Can't say I didn't see this coming.
Nevertheless, I found it to be a good read, nice to see some industry insight on the situation.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarngate View Post
Graphene transistors FTW.
It's the only viable solution we know of for now

One of the problems with graphene is though, does it smell when burnt?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Does this mean that I can buy a Sandy Bridge and never have to worry about upgrading again? That would suck, since there's only OC'ing on the K-edition. And it's only multiplier OC'ing... I are disappoint.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarngate View Post
Graphene transistors FTW.
Or maybe ARM instead of x86...

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
I'm confused, they talk about having hit a power wall, which was the case a long time ago, like the P4. The die shrinking helps this problem substancially, and there are still years of planned die/process shrinks.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post
Does this mean that I can buy a Sandy Bridge and never have to worry about upgrading again? That would suck, since there's only OC'ing on the K-edition. And it's only multiplier OC'ing... I are disappoint.
The non-K edition will overclock as well, they will have partially unlocked multiplier.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePath View Post
The non-K edition will overclock as well, they will have partially unlocked multiplier.
Partially unlocked... FSB OC'ING FTW! BE A MAN, MAN!

Seriously, who wants partially unlocked multipliers? Right now I have full control. Why should I give that up? Sandy Bridge is gonna crash and BURN compared to i7. Intel is going down. (Yeah, I know they won't -_-)

BTW where did you hear about partial unlocking?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
But there is not too much further we are going...
32nm to 22nm, then 12nm, afterwhich we need to be somewhere with a more constant gravitational field...

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Quote:

Partially unlocked... FSB OC'ING FTW! BE A MAN, MAN!

Seriously, who wants partially unlocked multipliers? Right now I have full control. Why should I give that up? Sandy Bridge is gonna crash and BURN compared to i7. Intel is going down. (Yeah, I know they won't -_-)

Partial OC'ing is like partially turbocharging your car,its pointless/useless/stupid.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:

From xbitlabs

Quote:
The good news is that with Sandy Bridge the chip giant plans "fully" and "partially" unlocked microprocessors. Fully unlocked chips will be overclockable by modifying multiplier; whereas partially unclockable microprocessors will allow manufacturer to choose maximum ratios above the so-called Turbo-speed
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboa...rocessors.html

And look at this

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
If you ask me, it's the software that needs the major overhaul. The vast majority of software doesn't harness the power of modern CPU's like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Honestly, this makes Sandy Bridge a lot less amazing to me.
The fact that its more SoC than CPU oriented is bothersome as well. The powere capabilities of the dedicated video processing section of that chip will be comparable to what? An X800? It just isnt worth doing this when dedicated GPUs are better and when integrated GPUs on systemboards are better. So why do that when you could use that R&D to develop a Graphene CPU with more cores & parallel processing that uses less energy and makes less heat???

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Yet another article that thinks modern CPU's are getting hotter, without at all acknowledging that they are performing much better.

Quote:
This means that, at least with this generation of chips, Intel is innovating anywhere but in the CPU itself.
They also seem to have not read that Sandy Bridge is a COMPLETELY new architecture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NameUnknown View Post
The fact that its more SoC than CPU oriented is bothersome as well. The powere capabilities of the dedicated video processing section of that chip will be comparable to what? An X800? It just isnt worth doing this when dedicated GPUs are better and when integrated GPUs on systemboards are better. So why do that when you could use that R&D to develop a Graphene CPU with more cores & parallel processing that uses less energy and makes less heat???
It is worth doing because this will offer better performing graphics then onboard integrated video. In addition it is one step closer to being able to off load parallel loads to the on-chip GPU. Not to mention if I handed you a magical chip that was 48 I7 cores, it won't be performing better then your 4 core I7 in most things. The trick is writing software that is more parallel; something that is easy to say, and not very easy to do.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NameUnknown View Post
Also, Intel are probably already investing billions in R&D, not like they're short of cash.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
This is why I took the plunge and upgraded to i7. Nothing better seems to be on the horizon for a little while.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts