Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I naively thought that my trip into town would result in receiving a fair price for my 5 unused games....I should have thought better to be so optimistic!

£12!!!! (Game UK) For all five games! Now i know these places have to make profit but when they get put straight back on the shelf for over £12 EACH pre-owned its somewhat a slap in the face.

For that price im not as eager to part with them and I cant see how anyone could justify the loss.

Im intrigued to hear your guys experiences with trade ins and if you know of any places to get a good deal?

·
Registered
566 Posts
We have a place called Video Games etc, pretty much the same thing. They'll give you $2-$5 depending on the game then sell it for $10-$20 per title. If it's a crappy game then I have no problem letting it go for that but if it's a decent title like Crysis 2 offering me $5 then selling it for $20 makes me want to remove the shift linkage for your transmission in your car.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I bought Mortal Kombat from Walmart at like 3 am, took it home and played it for about 1 hour and was really disappointed. The next morning, I took it back to try for a refund and they gave me "due to copyright laws, you can only exchange it for another copy." So I go to the local GameStop, and despite the fact the game was just released about three days prior, I owned it for about six hours, and played it for about one, they offered me $15 USD for it, after I paid $65. So I just kept it. I even explained to them that I just purchased it hours prior, and assured them I hadn't used any of the codes in it (Kombat pass, etc). But oh well.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zinxe
View Post

I bought Mortal Kombat from Walmart at like 3 am, took it home and played it for about 1 hour and was really disappointed. The next morning, I took it back to try for a refund and they gave me "due to copyright laws, you can only exchange it for another copy." So I go to the local GameStop, and despite the fact the game was just released about three days prior, I owned it for about six hours, and played it for about one, they offered me $15 USD for it, after I paid $65. So I just kept it. I even explained to them that I just purchased it hours prior, and assured them I hadn't used any of the codes in it (Kombat pass, etc). But oh well.

go to walmart exchange for a new copy dont open it go back another day and get your money back

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by knoxy_14
View Post

go to walmart exchange for a new copy dont open it go back another day and get your money back

lol, does that work? I mean some could get the game heat wraped again after they used all the codes and such. So I think the cpoyright bit would still come into play

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I recently took a stack of 10 Xbox 360 games to GameStop once and they offered me $9. For the whole stack. I laughed at the guy and walked out of the store.

I used to have Iron Man for Xbox 360, bought it new for $65, beat it, and took it to GameStop a few months later and got $25 - 30 for it which wasn't bad since the game wasn't that great. But that was years ago, they must have changed what they offer for used games.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm
View Post

lol, does that work? I mean some could get the game heat wraped again after they used all the codes and such. So I think the cpoyright bit would still come into play

ive had a friend do it some kind of like that he took his kids COD disk that he broke took it back to walmart and said it was broke and they gave him a new one and then he returned it not the right thing to do but it worked

·
Registered
221 Posts
I remember i bought ODST and played it for 1day and tried to take it back to gamestop for my money because i hated it so much and they offerd the same 15$

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Your best bet is to trade in on special deals like trade 3 to get a new game that just came out. Future shop does this no.

Alternately, sell them on craigslist or kijiji, might have more success there.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Seriously. Craigslist. You'll get a better bargain. GS just loves to gape you, and then try to get you to sign up for a magazine subscription, all whilst they are trying to cram another preorder down your throat.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
really only that much?

i get £6.50/$10 a game minimum used at a used goods store even off loaded 3 year old games at that price

other place will give me £18/$28 a game if they newish games otherwise its £9/$14 for older titles but thats just credit i get off if i take other games

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by husarowns
View Post

I remember i bought ODST and played it for 1day and tried to take it back to gamestop for my money because i hated it so much and they offerd the same 15$

Gamestop gives you a week to return console games for whatever reason. On multiple occasions I've returned a game, got a different one, returned it, got a different one, and so on until I was happy with one of them. The sales people don't bat an eyelash.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
In general I don't use the trade-in options offered by retail stores. Primarily because it screws over the customer and the developer, while the only one that really profits is the retail store. Essentially, customers get a far lower price than they normally would by selling the product directly through an auction site, and developers don't get any portion of the used game sales.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by obsidian86
View Post

really only that much?

i get £6.50/$10 a game minimum used at a used goods store even off loaded 3 year old games at that price

other place will give me £18/$28 a game if they newish games otherwise its £9/$14 for older titles but thats just credit i get off if i take other games

Yup i felt somewhat insulted tbh haha. Think im going to have to try my luck on ebay...

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
best thing is to find the UK eqiv of Craiglist and sell the games as a lot

That way u still get a reasonable price and it will go to a good home.

Some of these places should offer more,especially for games you know will resell easily (Zelda/Mario,MGS) but for sports games u cant blame them for offering u 2 bucks them for them, they never will sell even at like 5.99.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts