Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i was struck with the opportunity today to trade my Planar SA2311W monitor for a Yamasaki Q270. Should I do it? I really enjoy 120hz, but is the 1440p worth it?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by General123 View Post

What is your system?
Right now im running a GTX 660ti 3GB FTW+, intel i5 3570k, 16gb ram, 240gb ssd. I wont be keeping this for long though. When the 900D comes out, im doing a 3770k + maximus V formula + two 7950s in CF + 16gb ram + 240gb ssd + watercooling loop.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammadj View Post

Right now im running a GTX 660ti 3GB FTW+, intel i5 3570k, 16gb ram, 240gb ssd. I wont be keeping this for long though. When the 900D comes out, im doing a 3770k + maximus V formula + two 7950s in CF + 16gb ram + 240gb ssd + watercooling loop.
Ah I see, well what games do you play? Do you find that life accurate colors or life accurate motion and movement is more important? Keep in mind you will be making the drop from 120hz to 60 which may hurt. Just switch your monitor to 60hz and play a few games or just stay on the desktop, you can still see the difference.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can definitely see a difference, I just don't know whether the bigger screen and higher resolutions will be a better experience than 120hz. I play TF2, Black ops 2, CS:GO occasionally, some racing games, Assassins creed, batman, and a few others.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I wouldn't do that.
At 1080p you can get pretty decent FPS with a 660 in pretty much all games and high settings, but when you're going 1440p you're going to have to settle with lower settings and framerates.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post

I wouldn't do that.
At 1080p you can get pretty decent FPS with a 660 in pretty much all games and high settings, but when you're going 1440p you're going to have to settle with lower settings and framerates.
Yeah that pretty much sums up my opinion as well.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
1440P is def a lot better looking than 1080P it is about 2 million pixels vs about 3.7 million pixels. So it is a huge difference. 2 7950s will have no problem running an game at max settings at 1440P.

I have a Nixeus 27" and honestly could never go back. I was using an HP 1920x1200 monitor.

For a video card I have a GTX 670 but will be switching to a 7950. The GTX 670 has no problem running games at max settings (except AA). Also new games are getting much better at using FXAA and in some cases TSAA for example Max Payne 3 does not need any MSAA so dumping AA will allow you to use a 1440P monitor with no problem.

I'm sure some people will try to argue that MSAA is a must but it is all opinion so there is really no point in arguing it.

As for the 120 vs 60... that is your call. I'd take a better looking image over 120FPS but that just me. I am perfectly happy w/ 40-60FPS.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You have to realize a lot of people read the OP then answer haha. Your 2 7950s should keep 1440p at 60fps pretty much all the time. I personally would sacrifice the frames for a better looking, larger display. In non FPS you won't notice as much difference in the fps change. Is the Catleap one of the ones that can do 75hz+? If so then even better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ugh, the 120hz vs 60hz is really evident now. Do you guys think i can get "used to" 60hz? Am I having 120hz withdrawal symptoms which will eventually fade away? I play COD/bf3 more than all other games on that list combined.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you primarily play FPSs, where reaction time and motion clarity are more important than visuals, 120Hz might have been a better choice.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammadj View Post

ugh, the 120hz vs 60hz is really evident now. Do you guys think i can get "used to" 60hz? Am I having 120hz withdrawal symptoms which will eventually fade away? I play COD/bf3 more than all other games on that list combined.
Can you afford to have both?

To my mind, the ideal situation is to have both options. I recently swapped surround 120hz (XL2420t) for two 27" IPSs, I now have one in landscape (which I game on) and one in portrait (for web pages, pdfs etc.). I also kept a 120hz projector and a CRT for doing 3D on.

If I couldn't afford both, I'd have IPS any time, and I also play mainly (90%) BF3. The extra resolution and having something with acceptable colours and no horrible TN shifts outweighs everything else for me, but YMMV.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
120hz ftw. colors would be nice to have. but i need more ctr reaction then colors to be accurate . good luck but if a guy wants to trade you, i would do it and sell it and buy a newer 120hz monitor ,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts