Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be going away to college in 6 days and I'd like to take my desktop with me for gaming and productivity. I'd like to see if I could get some input on transporting my PC (sig rig) through a 2.5 hour car ride. I have a pretty large graphics card and a very large CPU cooler so those are both concerns of mine.

I actually also kept the original box for my case because I knew this day would come, but I only have the bottom and not the top foam.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Remove the card and cooler. It's the safest way.

EDIT: And then just put the case somewhere it won't move. I'm not concerned about anything else moving around or causing a problem.

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
If I'm the one driving, then I just chuck it on the seat laying on it's side and have never had an issue. Sending it buy courier I would remove the GPU and CPU cooler.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I drove 4500 miles with my pc and didn't have any issues--the roads were offroad conditions for 500+miles. It was just sitting behind the passenger seat gpu and cpu cooler installed.

If you are paranoid take the cooler off and remove the gpu. Poor packing popcorn in the pc case and ram the gpu in bubble wrap. Check to make sure no screws are loose then securely pack it in the trunk.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
If you have the anti static bag the GPU came in put it in that. If your cpu cooler has push pins, or no back plate take it off.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not really that paranoid. I'm pretty sure my PC would be alright just wanted some input. I just really don't want to have to install the CPU cooler back on my motherboard as I'll have enough to take care of with the move and getting everything set up.

Also, wouldn't packing peanuts be an electrostatic hazard? I know Styrofoam can do that.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseinat0r View Post

I'm not really that paranoid. I'm pretty sure my PC would be alright just wanted some input. I just really don't want to have to install the CPU cooler back on my motherboard as I'll have enough to take care of with the move and getting everything set up.

Also, wouldn't packing peanuts be an electrostatic hazard? I know Styrofoam can do that.
I would assume that when the motherboard is screwed into the standoffs/case the that it is grounded well enough that it wont be an issue.
Assumption.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts