Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, there's no excuses this time baby, I'm gonna be hitting up Europe this Fall!!! Even if I have to go alone, I'm still going. I've never really traveled anywhere worth talking about so this will be my first big trip. I'm trying to do this on a budget of <$4000 (preferably $3k), for 3-4 weeks.

***edit: check out page 2 for the updated plan.

Who? I'll be traveling with 2 good friends.
What? Vacation to Europe.
Where? Uh, Europe.
When?
September into October of '06.
How? One-way flight into Rome, another one-way flight home (ideally) from Madrid, Spain. Everywhere in between by train & a couple planes.
Why? I'll only be young once!!!! Plus I'm single, debt free and don't have kids... oh yeah!!!!!

So I originally planned this for Spring '05 but had no one to go with. Now there's no stopping me. I already have all the supplies I need; passport, an awesome
camera, traveling gear, the works. Now I need to break down the costs for the trip itself.

I've searched expedia & travelocity and I'm still in the $800-900 range for both ways. I'm getting a rail pass for $465 with any 10 days of unlimited travel in a 2 month period. That'll take care of my city to city travel. So I'm guessing <$1500 for total traveling expenses.

Where am I gonna sleep? Hostels period. Oh, and on the trains too. I've gone to hostelworld.com and searched about every city I plan on visiting and found places for $20-30 per night in every city, thank goodness. So worst case I spend $30 x 21 days = $630 to sleep for the entire trip... not to mention the sleep I'll be getting on the trains.

That brings me to around <$2130 for all my traveling and housing expenses. Not bad
Now all I need is my food, party & souvenir and misc (taxi/subway/museum) money.

The route for the cities are as follows (updated 9/9/06):

Rome

Florence

Venice

Prague

Munich
(can you say Oktoberfest?)
Berlin

Amsterdam

London

Edinburgh

Paris

Barcelona

Seville

Madrid

*** updated map also.***

·
Registered
865 Posts
GO TO NEWCASTLE!!! its been voted 8th in the best nightlife survey of the whole world!! You will have no clue what everyone is saying but i tell you, you will have an amazing night.

incase you dunno its right in the north-east of england. you can also get cheap ferrys from here to norway, amsterdam etc so might be worth considering. Oh and the girls in newcastle are well hot! go to a good club and you will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My most favorite city in the world is Florence.

(And I have been to Central America, South America, a few East Asian countries (China, Vietnam, Japan), All of Europe, Nigeria and Canada
)

You will be having some FUN!

Take lots of pics

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i did this in 2001, actually i was in paris on 9/11. 6 weeks $3000 for me but i was very thrifty except food.

1. the rail pass was unnecessary for me, the train dudes forgot to stamp my pass a few times and some of the shorter trips are only like $15 or so. also if your going overnight the sleeping cabins are worth it imo.
2. hostels rule. i stayed in one in prague for about $4 a night and the lady drycleaned our stuff.
3. in many of the tourist places there will be people who come find you and offer rooms. september is slow season for much of europe. HAGGLE. we dropped a guy in greece from $15 to $5 dollars per night for a very nice room two blocks from the ocean. these can be hit or miss, i also spent a night on a twin bed with my buddy and about 200 mosquitos.
4. prague and budapest were very cheap, london and paris and some of the others are much more expensive than the us. i bought a few $4-$5 pepsi's in paris.
5. dont go to any shady spas in budapest, its a funny story but kind of creepy.
6. florence is gorgoeus, we rented scooters and drove around the country side. just amazing. rent scooters often, and pisa was just a little city with a tippy building, at night there were a bunch of hooligans about so that was interesting.
7. think about buying a canada flag to sew on your backpack, people will like you more than if they think your american.
8. amsterdam is much more than its reputation, my second favorite right behind florence.
9. with only 3 weeks you may want to drop a city or two and streamline your itinerary. think circle.
10. as for your trip, i think it is usually cheapest on like mon-thurs. and you may want to fly out of philly or new york or baltimore. an LA to rome flight will be expensive. paris and london may be cheaper destinations also.
11. i just looked at your map and unless you had big plans in budapest id cut that out, all i did there was ate at this great vegetarian restaurant and dodged dog poo on the streets. plus it is a bit out of the way.
12. feel free to pm me if you have a question.

these sites can get you in the $400-$450 range if you leave from the east coast. maybe the three of you could rent a car or just drive, (greyhound is hell) that could be fun and you could do it in two or three days if you want. longer for a little side trip.
http://www.flights.com/
http://www.travelhub.com/airfares/intl.html

and another site that i like.
http://www.bestfares.com/travel/desk...d=50230&slot=0

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The red light district in amsterdam, do I need say more.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Paris is very expensive. Eastern Europe (Prague, Budapest) will be very cheap. Coming back in from Prague to Munich will be a shock to the wallet

London sucks, IMO. The only thing I'd go back to London for is the Eye. You should take a little more time in the UK and get up to Edinburgh, maybe even Inverness. The north of England and the UK in general is pleasanter than the south, less busy, more too look at - and the people are freindlier too

·
Registered
865 Posts
^ yeah the people in the north of england are way friendlier, you can have full on conversations with random people, that stuff never happens in the south. And the girls of teh north are way friendlier.
So go to newcastle like i said, or try manchester or liverpool all great cities, but my home town of newcastle should be first on teh list

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have yet to see your point, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevebaz

amsterdam is a crazy place, everyone either stoned or 'bumping uglies' haha or doing both.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
You can travel in 3rd class for airtravel..... $800-900 is avarage, they're ususlly about $1000~
btw, tours will get you hotels for cheap, they sign a contract with the hotel that they'll bring lots of cusumers. My dad spent $3000 on our family of 4, and got us 3 weeks of 5 star hotel goodness and a really nice airline, third class, but still, nice. The airline was so nice, they booked us on this uber hotel when the plane was delayed (the hotel was on the cutting edge, so much that it bleed lol). Look for reviews on the airline your going on, it sucks if you get stuck on a crappy airline. also Ryan air, is only in Europe, like american airways (only in US) That's how it ends up being cheap

·
Banned
5,638 Posts
I've been travelling to europe and asia since i was 10. This july im going back to europe w/ 10 classmates. You will not be dissapointed

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Indeed, Ive spent my life living in the US and around Europe... try to stay away from the tourist places, almost always, they will not be worth your while... you should learn a little of the language too... its fun and some locals can get really testy when you start speaking english without even at least trying to speak their native language... and try not to look american...

youll have a blast, I miss europe and I cant wait to visit again... my woman and I will definitely be making a trip there sometime soon

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
im going when i turn 18 (me and 6 friends) it sounds fun. were doin it the eurotrip way.. sounds like so much fun! haha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, congrats on your trip....

Born and raised in Italy, and i must say it is my favorite place.

I would skip the big towns, even tho there is alot to see.....in favor of the smaller out of the way places.

In tuscany, you have to go to Siena!
It is about halfway between Rome and Florence, relatively small town , but lots of history.

Between Florence and Pisa, there is Lucca....another beautiful city.

The east coast of Italy is where the party is though, Cesenatico, Rimini, Riccione, just to drop a couple of names, great club scene.
The clubs open around 10-11 and go all night long.

I woul dprobably cut bulgaria from your trip and go instead thru Austria....beautifuil mountains.

Well,,,that is my 2 cents....

Have fun

Buon Viaggio e buon Divertimento

·
Registered
82 Posts
First of all I dont know why do you want to go to Budapest, nothing to see there. I traveled thru it about 20times, nothing special and its hard to comunicate with people. Go to plitvice, its a great place. Or eaven better to slapovi krka, less nature but a 10min adrenaline ride with a buss will be in your memory forever. Another good place is St.Petersburg, you can find everything there but you need a lot of money for it to because everything is expensive in that town. Other places you chosen are ok.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow thanks for the info guys. I looked into some of your suggestions & links and found plenty of use for them. That ryanair looks awesome if I wanna make a quick flight to Dublin from London.

I found $200 roundtrip flights from LA to NY but couldn't find anything cheaper than $700 from NY to Europe and back. I don't wanna spend my precious vacation time away from work driving cross country just to save $100 on a flight. Time is more important than money in that particular case.

So check it out. I can streamline the trip like this and tell me what you think:

Rome
Florence (maybe a quick stop in Tuscany somewhere)
Venice
Munich
Prague (skip Budapest)
Berlin
Amsterdam
London
Dublin (via ryanair
)
Paris (via ryanair too maybe)
Barcelona
Madrid
Seville

I'm hoping that the quick flights from London to Dublin or Dublin to Paris might free up some train time to explore more of the UK and possibly Scotland.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went to France a couple of years ago and its different, but cool. Another place you should check out is St. Malo, because at night if you're near the seashore, you can see England from where you're standing. And they have the coolest bowling alleys ever..all blacklights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.