• Bottom 3 monitors on 3 GTX 680 + top 2 monitors on 4th GTX 680

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum,

Pulling together a new large budget build and a wild GPU query appears!

Current monitor setup:

As it stands I have three GTX 680 4GB cards in Tri-SLI pushing surround on the bottom three 27" monitors.
Enter the top two 23" monitors.

I really would like to not hinder the performance of the bottom three by throwing the top two on the same cards (and also prohibiting surround?)
So I'm considering adding a 4th 680 and putting the two 23s on that.

The question for the experts/ SMEs: Can I run Tri-SLI + 1 on the side? Would the fourth card prohibit nvidia surround?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Essentially I need the standard NVIDIA Surround 3+1 accessory display setup but with an additional accessory display.
And is there any downside to just running the cards on individual monitors vice trying to SLI it? Eg. Each 27" monitor on its own 680 and the two 23" monitors sharing a 680 for a total of 4 cards, non SLI.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If I know my SLI correctly, not having cards in SLI and on individual monitors, will decrease the performance, not really sure though :/
I would have Tri-SLI on the 3, and 1 for the two top.

BTW, how big is the space between the pictures on the bottum screens?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagelund View Post

If I know my SLI correctly, not having cards in SLI and on individual monitors, will decrease the performance, not really sure though :/
I would have Tri-SLI on the 3, and 1 for the two top.

BTW, how big is the space between the pictures on the bottum screens?
Is Tri-SLI possible while having a 4th card sit on the side?

And the space is something like 1/8"
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Yes, having the 4th card on the side, means you can dedicate it for things like PhysX. You will just have 3 cards connected with an SLI bridge, and the forth will be 'alone'.
I know back in the GTX 480 days, the 4th card would need to be of a different GPU. Is this still the case? Also, my 4th card would need to power the two 'extra' monitors. Is PhysX the only use for the 4th card or will it still be able to push displays independently?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GfhTattoo View Post

ya i would get a little card to push the 2 top monitors , i never had theat meny hooked up to pc. most i had was 2 tvs and 2 monitors . that was off 2 480 gtx
Im thinking my three 680 4gb and a 670 4gb FTW for the fourth. Basically the same performance though it still satisfies the need for a different gpu as the 4th.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khepira View Post

Im thinking my three 680 4gb and a 670 4gb FTW for the fourth. Basically the same performance though it still satisfies the need for a different gpu as the 4th.
No he can get like a 250gtx for top 2 monitors never know the difference or newer just a weak card, something that can drive physics if he needs it, last i seen 9800 is good for that. i would get 460+

·
Registered
972 Posts
if you dont care about physx, why dont you get a cheap cards with 2 DVI outputs, and blow the money you save on something else.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoHxBram View Post

if you dont care about physx, why dont you get a cheap cards with 2 DVI outputs, and blow the money you save on something else.
My normal pastime is EVE online and I'm shooting to run one account across the bottom three and two other accounts each on their own 23" so I'd like whatever is pushing the 23s to be as capable as the other cards. I don't need a cheap card at all and I would honestly get a 690 as the standalone card if I knew it would work
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well, as the 690 wont be running with the 680's and windows only supports 4GPU's as an "array" like sli or crossfire, but it will take more for mining i believe, so why not just give it a shot, and if you dont like it. you can always return the 690 ? not sure if your shop will take in the 690 or you have to trade it or something.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoHxBram View Post

Well, as the 690 wont be running with the 680's and windows only supports 4GPU's as an "array" like sli or crossfire, but it will take more for mining i believe, so why not just give it a shot, and if you dont like it. you can always return the 690 ? not sure if your shop will take in the 690 or you have to trade it or something.
Ah right, more than 4 chips might cause problems.

I'm really interested in just running the cards non-SLI, though I don't know how performance would change for better or worse. I know I wouldn't have to worry about scaling for sure..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Yes, having the 4th card on the side, means you can dedicate it for things like PhysX. You will just have 3 cards connected with an SLI bridge, and the forth will be 'alone'.
To everyone watching this: the above solution works perfectly. I currently have 4 of the same exact GTX 680 4GB cards sitting in my system with only a Tri-SLI. The 4th card is dedicated to PhysX and pushing the top two monitors. Even better is I can put a Quad-SLI bridge on all 4 cards and still run the top three in Tri-SLI, so it still looks great in the case.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks all for the discussion and help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts