Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the 40GB Intel V Series SSD is out, and some people mentioned that the 40GB Intel V Series is pretty much the same drive as the Kingston 40GB SSD with Intel controller, I decided to try if I can update the Kingston 40GB SSD with Intel FW.

I used the latest Intel FW update CD(110902HD88208850.iso) from Intel's website, which included the FW for the 40GB X25-V, and no luck. Says no Intel SSDs detected. (Wasted another CD
)

Just want to share with you guys in case if someone else want to try the same thing. Now we can only hope Kingston will come out with some new FW with TRIM support soon.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Is there a command line option? Can you run it with a NOCHECK flag?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Is there a command line option? Can you run it with a NOCHECK flag?
It says

Intel SSD is not attached or is disabled.
If you know an Intel SSD is installed and correctly connected to your system, please contact Intel Customer Support for further assistance at the following website: http://www.intel.com/go/ssdsupport.

the command line on the bottom is 'A:\\>', and what's NOCHECK?(I suck at DOS
)

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nardox View Post
It says

Intel SSD is not attached or is disabled.
If you know an Intel SSD is installed and correctly connected to your system, please contact Intel Customer Support for further assistance at the following website: http://www.intel.com/go/ssdsupport.

the command line on the bottom is 'A:\\>', and what's NOCHECK?(I suck at DOS
)
Type "dir"

Find the EXE file that performs the update.

Then try: "[EXE's name] -help" or "[EXE's name] -manual"

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Ok, the executable is "iSSDFUT"

Now can someone check if there's a help or manual included in the file? I can't at work.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Now can someone check if there's a help or manual included in the file? I can't at work.
I will check once I get back at home.

I emailed Kingston Tech Support last night about this, after telling them I got the 40GB SSDNow V drive with Intel Controller, here's what they said:

"
Hello,

There is no update fort this drive to support TRIM. The next generation SSD drives will support TRIM. "

Does this guy not know what he's talking about or is Kingston jerking us by saying they will have TRIM support for these 40GB drives in the future?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

I tried and no help or manual. It just restart the exe.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GfhTattoo
View Post

it wont work , just like the barefoot for ocz. wont work on other drives. u need to contact Kingston, hare is a resign their cheaper

well I contacted them and they say this drive won't support TRIM even it have an Intel Controller that's fully capable of doing TRIM. (See my post above)

From LegitReviews articles, they said
"As we mentioned previously in the article, Kingston said that this feature is planned for down the road, so we can only take their word for that. Intel's TRIM supporting firmware just came out today, so hopefully Kingston's won't be too far behind. " Link to article

so it 1. The guy answered my email doesn't know what he's talking about, or 2. Kingston was just lying about the the future TRIM support down the road when they were talking to the LegitReview guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its even worse

http://tinyurl.com/yat255z

Seems, Kingston wants to and thought it was the plans.
Then well. No its not gonna happen.

Quote:

Concerning the 40 GB X - 25V Intel-based SSD case, we learned the ending word history on the withdrawal of the sale of the SSd. Kingston has indeed asked Intel to withstand the TRIM on its SSD that Santa Clara giant refused. The reason is probably that Intel wanted to reserve this support for its X 25 - V out these days. Kingston has estimated that out a SSD without the TRIM at the time of Windows 7 support was not a good strategy and decided to throw the sponge. Kingston has also confirmed that we thought and that has exacerbated the problem, is that Intel production capacities are insufficient time... to meet the demand of SSD

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshay View Post
http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...-firmware.html

Did you get something like this? I solved my problem by removing all my other HDD's and putting the SSD in the first Sata port.
Thanks for the reply jshay, but the problem is that the Kingston SSD I'm using does use an Intel controller, but the Intel firmware does not support the SSD I have although it's identical to the Intel V Series.

I have the Kingston SSD installed on my older laptop, which it's the only drive....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys,

I discovered the disappointing news that Kingston won't provide firmware upgrades for their 40GB V-Series SSDNow product a few hours ago. I chose not to simply accept what's being done to those who bought a Kingston drive in good faith and expectations to receive those upgrades in the future, and went on to hack around in Intel's SSD update program. I have succeeded half way yet: the update binary doesn't barf about my SSD not being Intel-branded any more. The remaining problem is that it complains that my device carries "pre-production firmware", and I haven't been able to patch that check out of the binary yet.

I suppose what could help me get this finished is user input. I need to find someone with an Intel X25 G2 Postville SSD who has NOT yet upgraded to the newest firmware at this time, but COULD do so by using the update program, if he liked to. I then would need the complete output of the GNU/Linux command `hdparm -I /dev/yourSSDdevicenode` (substitute device node name according to your system), or alternatively, a screenshot of a run of the "AS SSD Benchmark" (check http://www.abload.de/img/asbench4lcju.png for reference) on MS Windows.

Here's proof that I'm not merely babbling (picture's showing my Thinkpad running the modified updater from an USB thumb drive booting into DOS)

http://coloss.us.to/ssdmod.jpg

Btw, the device that Kingston has on their drives is the revision Intel pulled from their site as "faulty" a while back…

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good luck on the patching.. just found out this news too and a little bit annoyed, would love to switch to intel firmware for support now..

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
I have something interesting which people might want to try, although I accept no responsibility for anything that may happen as a result.

I am in a unique situation of having an Intel 80gb G2 SSD and a Kingston 40gb SSD installed on the same system. My Intel SSD has the latest firmware with TRIM and I let Windows 7 maintain the drive. Although I never intended to use Intel's SSD Toolbox, I installed it anyway just to see if it had any interesting utilities.

Intel Solid State Toolbox:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldID=18455

Now I don't know if people without an Intel SSD will even be able to install it, If you can't my apologies. Now the Toolkit lets you view information on every drive attached to your system and you can optimize or schedule optimization on Intel SSD's (Mainly for OS without TRIM support, or G1 drives) BUT ONLY ON Intel SSD's. It has multiple checks at multiple points in the programs GUI to prevent you from attempting this on another brand drive.

Just for amusement I let it setup an optimization schedule on my Intel drive- and it added a task to TaskScheduler, which simple launches the Intel Toolbox with some command line parameters. Those command line parameters are:

-t <drive letter> <drive serial number>

Originally: -t C CVPOxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So for my amusement I modified the task to run on my Kingston drive ( F: ) by changing the drive and serial number to match:

-t F CVJPxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

** Not sure why I am paranoid to disclose my serial numbers, but better safe than sorry.

I can't actaully tell if it works or not. It seems to delay like 30secs and then TaskScheduler reports 'The operation completed successfully (0x0)'.

Any idea how I can test and see if it did anything or simply was blocked again by an internal Toolbox ID check?

Please remember if you try any of this- its at your own risk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, given that the Kingston's firmware version string matches that one of the first Postville firmware version with TRIM enabled, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some way to actually make the drive accept that specific ATA command - of course, it could just not be implemented, yet still return success. I don't have a recent enough userland at the moment to try with my drive (and no full backup of my data at the moment), so I couldn't try yet.
I've read on various other sites on the web that the Kingston firmware has TRIM disabled entirely. Whether the drive just doesn't advertise the feature or it's really masked and doesn't work at all, I cannot tell. However, I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that TRIM works fine with the drives already.
Maybe I'll set up a more recent GNU/Linux environment than the one I'm running in production to give it a go.

The info I requested should be on the way to my mailbox in a few hours. I'll keep you updated on my patching success, if any.

Update:
Using Linux 2.6.32.3, hdparm 9.27 tells me that my drive doesn't support the DSM/TRIM command. No news from the update program front yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi everyone,

Inspired by this thread I patched iSSDFUT.exe so that it accepts Kingston SSDNow 40GB also. It now sees the drive as Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2, but I've been too chicken to go past the second confirming question (Do you wish to proceed with the firmware update (y/n)?
. It may be possible that the Intel firmware is not suitable after all, but if someone else has more courage and is willing to try, I can send them the modified code.

It still may fail after this, but I can't tell as I haven't tried.

I take no responsibility if someone bricks their drive because of this.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts