Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all we all agree there is no way of finding out that Trim is working or not with a driver/controller right ?
So here’s the thing with my Crucial C300 128GB SSD that has the latest Marvel 91xx 6GB/s controller
How come I am getting around about the same Benchmark scores with AS SSD ? I have installed many games on my SSD then Uninstalled them same with software’s and am still getting scores between 570 to 585 ? These are the scores I was getting when I first time installed Windows 7 on my New SSD I didn’t even uninstall anything on it at that time just done a AS SSD benchmark what am trying to say is maybe Trim is working on Marvell 91xx 6GB/s Controller ??? It’s just that why are people so sure it’s not ?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
There is a way to know if we have TRIM working

Go to the Command prompt and type > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

And yes my Marvell Controller with My Vertex LE is working perfetct with TRIM

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eduardv View Post
There is a way to know if we have TRIM working

Go to the Command prompt and type > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

And yes my Marvell Controller with My Vertex LE is working perfetct with TRIM

That doesn't tell you if TRIM is working - it merely tells you that the OS is trying to use TRIM. You can't tell if the drive actually receives the commands, nor if it know what to do with them (this command can still return 0 even with drives that don't support TRIM).

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
That doesn't tell you if TRIM is working - it merely tells you that the OS is trying to use TRIM. You can't tell if the drive actually receives the commands, nor if it know what to do with them (this command can still return 0 even with drives that don't support TRIM).
Very true all I can do is keep using the Marvell controller 6GB/s and see what happens at the moment my SSD is fast as hell like it was 3 months ago & same benchmarks. I hope some kinda software comes out that can tell you if Trims working

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowman007 View Post
Very true all I can do is keep using the Marvell controller 6GB/s and see what happens at the moment my SSD is fast as hell like it was 3 months ago & same benchmarks. I hope some kinda software comes out that can tell you if Trims working
I wouldn't worry about it anyway - the C300 supports GC, so TRIM is largely unnecessary.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dead on... Whether it is working or not, what has to be done is being done to keep the drive running as well as the first day you got it and thats all that matters.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
also note that if you're writing large sequential writes then the drive will automatically recover some of it's performance even if it's not TRIMing...

Just for interest, what driver are you using with the Marvell 912x?
msahci.sys
or
mv91xx.sys

?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice View Post
The only way to determine if TRIM is working? Bench your drive; Write a ton of garbage to your drive, delete, rinse, repeat as necessary; Bench your drive again.
I've done that and support my theory of checking if we have trim typing the command i posted,but heck,they don't want to belive

My SSD is very very fast

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

I've done that and support my theory of checking if we have trim typing the command i posted,but heck,they don't want to belive

My SSD is very very fast

so you're saying that normal mechanical hard drives support TRIM?

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
Quote:

My SSD is very very fast

I concur that it's very probable that if Windows thinks that the driver is capable of transmitting the TRIM command, and the SSD capable of intercepting it, it's very unlikely that the driver is lying.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post
id like to see some torture their drive... haha
I have TONS, would you like to see some benches with a C300 filled to the max?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDreadedGMan View Post
so you're saying that normal mechanical hard drives support TRIM?
No,i'm not saying that.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsdmeasap View Post
I have TONS, would you like to see some benches with a C300 filled to the max?
actually sure

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin0822
View Post

actually sure

Here ya go, filled to the Max

Click to Enlarge

Drive Full

Drive Emptied

I did these for a TRIM test, but never could slow the drives down much, so it wasn't really good for indicating how will TRIM was working. It was nice to see the C300 full performing like this though, many other drives would crap out being this full

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
any with the marvell controller? lol
thanks for those thats just sick. a sandforce drive would've deff slowed down.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Anytime man!!

I was surprised it would not slow down, tried this a few times as I actually did want it to slow down so I could test a few things. No luck

I agree, a sandforce drive wouldn't be able to handle that at all!!

What did you want to know about the Marvell controller?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts