Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my understanding of non-trim drives (please correct me if im wrong) is that over time, they slow down. Trim is supposed to fix this right?

Compared to Intel, what else is out there?

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Correct. They fill up and the drive must do much more work for simple writes.

Other than TRIM, there really is nothing that will help. That is the whole point of TRIM. If the drive does not support TRIM, the only way to truly restore lost performance is an entire format of the drive.

Now most controllers do "wear leveling" but that is not for performance, but longevity.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im going out on a limb assuming that Intel has patented Trim. what are other companies doing? when will they have their own versions of trim released?

·
how two spel
3,036 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hks85
View Post

im going out on a limb assuming that Intel has patented Trim. what are other companies doing? when will they have their own versions of trim released?

No, trim is just a function that was integrated to newer SSD controllers, it is offered currently by OCZ in some of their indillinx drives I believe.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxSilent22xX
View Post

None.

Wahwah WHAT?!
WHY?
anyone know if there are any near future plans to fix this?

also, can we see a list of trip supported drives?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hks85 View Post
so my understanding of non-trim drives (please correct me if im wrong) is that over time, they slow down. Trim is supposed to fix this right?

Compared to Intel, what else is out there?
Hoping I don't steal your topic, but how often are you supposed to run Trim? Like if I used my SSD as a boot drive, should I run it every bootup, or what?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts