Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one no much about triple buffering!? i am having a hard time to get it to effectively work

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
I think it has something to do with Vsync. I have never noticed any differences when I have it on (triple buffering).

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
It works at buffering the images and such, but really kills your frame rates at the gain of better picture quality.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was under the inpresion that you got a 10 to 20 fps increase... because somthing about having the next frame ready every time your screen refreshes. vsync will chop ur fps to 60 if ur refresh rate is 60hertz, or it will chop it down to 30fps if ur gpu cant render 60fps. but i dont know for sure

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy_Bobbins View Post
i was under the inpresion that you got a 10 to 20 fps increase... because somthing about having the next frame ready every time your screen refreshes. vsync will chop ur fps to 60 if ur refresh rate is 60hertz, or it will chop it down to 30fps if ur gpu cant render 60fps. but i dont know for sure
I'm not sure that it would lower it to 30 FPS; it sounds like it would just render as high as it could.

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
The nvidia help thingy on the drivers says something about maintaining higher frames when in game frame rates drop below the Vsync. Have no idea what that means but it seems that you must have Vsync on for it to work.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as far as i know, ur gpu has two buffers the one u see on the screen and the one it is writting to. when ur screen goes to grab the next frame, it just switches the two buffers and ur gpu will write into the, now, blank buffer. but when ur screen looks for the next frame(60 times/sec @60hertz) and its not ready, i has to skip the buffer swap(if vsync is on) this then makes ur screen only show 30fps because it is only showing a frame every other time it looks for a frame.but when u triple buffer, u ALWAYS have a frame ready to be shown so u can then more easily obtain 60fps or higher.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy_Bobbins View Post
as far as i know, ur gpu has two buffers the one u see on the screen and the one it is writting to. when ur screen goes to grab the next frame, it just switches the two buffers and ur gpu will write into the, now, blank buffer. but when ur screen looks for the next frame(60 times/sec @60hertz) and its not ready, i has to skip the buffer swap(if vsync is on) this then makes ur screen only show 30fps because it is only showing a frame every other time it looks for a frame.but when u triple buffer, u ALWAYS have a frame ready to be shown so u can then more easily obtain 60fps or higher.
Something about all that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_buffering

Describes why two buffers may not be enough, and in different situations why a triple buffer is better, etc.

Good information, but very generalized. Wikipedia really needs to get on the ball with making stuff easily understood (with more diagrams or something.)

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Conclusion:
It's eye candy / performance booster, therefore it should be on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.