Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had a setup with three 24-inch screens in two years. They are set for the mini display, hdmi and dvi in my Radeon HD 7000 Series. It has worked perfectly.
When I upgrade to win10 I could no longer use three screens, but only two. All three screens still worked, I could just only have two monitors active at the same time.

I went back to win7 and everything worked perfectly again.
Now I have formatted my pc and reinstalled win7 but and i experience the exact same problem as I did when I installed win10. Understand me right, I can use all three screens, but only two active at the same time.
Windows will not let me extend to the 3rd screen and writes only "display settings were not saved"

AMD driver is the latest and writes to me do a screen passive before I can activate another.

Anyone have an idea what I can try? has become rather desperate.

·
Registered
280 Posts
After a bit of research on this, I found the below information that makes sense to me. I am not sure how your cables themselves are set up but take a read at the below:
Quote:
To use more than 2 screens on an AMD card, at least one screen must use a (true) DisplayPort connection. Your cable is indeed a passive adapter (utilizing the HDMI fallback mode on DP+). As such, this is not a true DisplayPort connection.

Active adapters (or "converters") are usually advertised as such. Unfortunately, there are quite some low-quality products on the market that may not work. I suggest to go by Amazon ratings to improve your chances of finding a good one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure about my display adapter is passive or active. But i know it had woked before, with my current setup. I will se if i can borrow one, or alternative buy an ative adapter to see if it works.

·
Just a random internet
1,349 Posts
OP, doing some Google-Fu, so far the most common fix was to use drivers prior to Catalyst 15. However, most of this info is from June/August 2015.

Some have had luck un-plugging, re-plugging, and detecting one additional monitor at a time. (So unplug 2 and 3, plug 2 > detect, plug 3 > detect).
The few who got this to work then had to fix image scaling in CCC.

I really can't find anymore recent information, if you want to use Windows 10 I'd suggest getting the OS completely up to date before messing with the latest AMD Omega drivers to get full functionality of triple monitor use.

Regarding adapters, unless your mini display port to displayport adapter required drivers, I'd suggest with sticking at looking at Win10/AMD drivers first as there wasn't an issue with Windows 7. See below.

Quote:
Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn't be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:
  • The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.
  • The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.
  • If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it.
  • Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays.
Source.

·
Registered
280 Posts
my Nvidia had a similar problem until I was fully up to date in Win 10. Although, I DL'd win 10 within a week of official release so it was like Beta 2 lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys.
Thanks for yours answers. I went to my local IT company in the city and bought, an active mini display to dvi adapter. Like the one I already had. All my three monitors are working at the same time and im happy again. It cost me 26,29 USD / 23,50 EUR. Somehow my passive adapter has worked as an active adapter before i reinstalled my pc.

I have spent a lot of hours to understand how this works, and i hope this can help others. There are at big misunderstanding about passive and active adapters works. Even the guy in the company didn't know it.

Now my setup looks like this:

Screen one is a hdmi cable on both ends, i goes direct from screen to HDMI port in card.
Screen two is a hdmi cable to dvi. the dvi end i put in my new active minidisplay port adapter end then in the minidisplay port in my card
Screen three is hdmi in both ends, but my card only have one hdmi, so i have an minidisplayport adapter from hdmi to minidisplay and then in the last minidisplay port in my card.

I also have two dvi ports in my card. but my screens has only hdmi and vga.

Sorry for bad english
wink.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts