Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a tri monitor thread somewhere?
Toying with the idea of tri 24" 1200p or tri 1440p 27". Strictly for gaming. What kind of GPU set up is necessary for 60fps?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure if there is a thread, but as for your other question, I'm looking at running 3x 2560x1440 monitors and you would basically have to run 3x AMD R9 290/290X's or GTX 780/780 Ti/Titans to run every game at 60fps.

Two of those cards would get you over most games but for the more demanding & newer games, three, if not four, of those GPU's would be a safe bet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep agree with above!

Also if you run a 3 way or 4 way GPU set up, you will need to buy a X79 chipset motherboard/LGA2011 socket CPU so that the GPU's are not bottlenecked by slow PCI-E lanes.

The new Haswell-E X99 chipset is coming out this year, so might be worth waiting for that?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn we always hurry up and wait. Any brand recommendations? Seems like the qnix would be the way to go

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Well big difference in the horsepower you would need if you end up with 5760x1080(or 1200) vs. 7680x1440.

CPU and memory play a small role, yes. but it's all about the graphics cards at that setup. Yes cards. You can maybe pull off 5760 resolution with a 780 or 780Ti (or AMD equivalent) with close to 60 fps.

But at 7680x1440, you'll need a monster with 4GB VRAM recommended. Gonna need at least 2 high-end cards. You shouldn't need 3 cards for this though to pull good framerate.

I've been toying with the idea of going multi monitor too. Mainly debating between 27" or 30" surround myself. I have a couple of 23" 1080p monitors, would only cost $170ish to go to surround but not really a fan of the small monitors and 1080p resolution for when you're not gaming. If all you're doing is gaming, then 1080p should be just fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I can troll youtube and try to get an idea of what I would be seeing. I have a Dell 27" 1080P(don't recall the model). I love the 27" as my primary screen so I don't really want to go smaller.

Looking like portrait mode might work really well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is Vram the limiting factors on some of these setups? I am sure in time the 780 and 780ti will be available with 6g ram but right now they are stuck at 3g. Would multiple 770 4g be more beneficial then say a 780 3g??

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have been running this setup for a little while now, I built it at the end of 2013, I have had it in eyefinity since I put it together this is "Hells Gate"(in my sig) I have 2 Sapphire 280X's I have not had any issues with frame rates, I have played Dishonored at 5760X1080 flawlessly , I have since changed the monitor stand, actually I did that today
rolleyes.gif

before

After

and yes the mess is untouched, I have been working at it though.
wink.gif

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsim44 View Post

I have been running this setup for a little while now, I built it at the end of 2013, I have had it in eyefinity since I put it together this is "Hells Gate"(in my sig) I have 2 Sapphire 280X's I have not had any issues with frame rates, I have played Dishonored at 5760X1080 flawlessly , I have since changed the monitor stand, actually I did that today
rolleyes.gif

before

After
Wow, that is clean looking inside your case.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffnerd View Post

Is Vram the limiting factors on some of these setups? I am sure in time the 780 and 780ti will be available with 6g ram but right now they are stuck at 3g. Would multiple 770 4g be more beneficial then say a 780 3g??
I don't believe you will need 8g of onboard ram to satisfy your setup. I am not an expert, I have only had 2 23'' monitors up to this point now I have this setup which is 3 23" My biggest hurdle was the hooking them up part I have bought 3 15' HDMI, 3 15' HDMI to Mini Display port, adaptors and such, I did have another set of 280x's that I had in the case which have different output connections, which may have added to the confusion,.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I currently have a single 27" Dell (some model) 1080p. I think it looks pretty good but wondering if I would miss the real estate going down to a 24".
Obviously the investment of the Qnix is really no different than a 1080p in 27" but its a whole different ball game to get them to run. I was thinking of just staying 1080p and easier to find monitors in the event one goes out, but thats no fun.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think I have only seen one setup with 3 27" monitors, I don't know if there are many choices for stands that support 27", that is why I choose the 23's the price for some of the stands were more than the price of two monitors. The Asus ones I got are 1080p

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffnerd View Post

Is there a tri monitor thread somewhere?
Toying with the idea of tri 24" 1200p or tri 1440p 27". Strictly for gaming. What kind of GPU set up is necessary for 60fps?
I am not aware of strictly tri monitor thread, however, there is Eyefinity club (where majority have 3 screen setup) and then there is the 1440p+ club which both cover things on high resolutions pretty well. Booth of these should be in the first few pages of this forum section.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Carniflex
1 - 16 of 16 Posts