Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble opening the task manager on my computer. When I ctrl+alt+dlt it pops up a window that says that the task manager has been disbled by my administrator. The problem is that I am the administrator and there is only one account on the computer. How do I enable it?

Also I have a 250gb HD that is giving me some issues. For awhile I was running XP, XP64, and ubuntu on seperate partions on the same HD. I have since gone to a single installation of winxp, but it is only recognizing 180gb worth of the HD. Is there a program that could format and partiton the empty space so that windows could recognize it and use it?

Thanx everyone.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Go to C:\\Windows\\System32\\ and click on taskmgr.exe. See if that works.

You can use Acronis Disk Director to partition you hard drive (I think it is like $35), or you can use Gparted for free.

You can try using the built in partitioner, but I don't think XP has one that is any good. To try, right click on my computer and then click on manage then click on disc manager (or maybe storage, I am in vista now so can't check).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the replies, but the task manager is still disabled. I opened C:\\Windows\\System32\\ and found the task manager icon, but when I click on it I get the same message as before. In the taskbar menu there is a section for the task manager, but it is greyed out so I cannot click on it.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think you might just have a virus.. The last time task manager was blocked like that for me I had a nasty virus. My $.02

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx Mosoner. That did the trick. What should I be looking for as far as a virus? The computer runs fine and I have up to date virus protection (AVG) that removes things every once in a while. So I assume it is working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts