Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to set my memory to run at 1066MHz according to this (http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/t...96-8500c5d.pdf), but it either gets to desktop and freezes completely or reboots nonstop. I had the settings at 5-5-5-15-2T, 2.1v and everything else on auto.

It's stable once I set everything back to auto, which was the JEDEC 5-5-5-18 800Mhz setting. BUT, I do experience random freezes that requires a hard reset that usually happens when I'm gaming or even zipping a large file. I didn't experience this when I was using Windows XP 32-bit. It's been this way ever since I installed Windows 7 64-bit.

I've already updated all my drivers and even the bios version, but nothing has changed. I had Memtest86+ do 7 passes that lasted about 7 hours at the JEDEC 5-5-5-18 setting and there were no errors.

Can anyone help me on this?

·
Registered
505 Posts
if you tested each stick on its own and it passes memtest, it could be a few things

your cpu overclock is unstable
your ram isnt getting the right voltage, try checking it with something else, like everest
what were your ram settings before you upgraded?
did you change anything else?

the ram could have been borderline the whole time, and 64 bit utilizes more of it so now its causing crashes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have my CPU at stock speed at 2.83 GHz. The core voltage is set at auto right now and Everest lists it at this: 1.100 - 1.250 V. Everest says my DIMM is 1.79v right now. I'm currently running at JEDEC #2 settings at 800 Mhz. At these settings, I'm still getting random freezes.

My ram settings before upgrading to Windows 7 was the JEDEC #2 settings: 5-5-5-18-2T, tRC at 23, and 1.8v at 800Mhz.

The only change I have made recently was adding the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 sound card.

·
Registered
505 Posts
set dram volts to 2.2 in the bios, rest on auto, check everest to see what it says your ram is getting. run prime05 or memtest.

if it passes, set your timings at the rated 555 15 2t

i have this exact same ram in my old computer, sigrig, i think its your volt settings, i had mine at 2.12 when overclocking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I use memtest to test it at 2.2v, how many passes should I do it for? And should do I it with both sticks for this?

·
Registered
505 Posts
both sticks, keep it simple, 5 or 6

if you get an error, keep everything the same but test each stick seperately

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, and another question I forgot to ask:

Quote:
You are stating voltages for the TWIN2X4096-8500C5 version 1.1 PSC Modules. They are supported up to and including 2.1v.

You were probably looking at TWIN2X2048-8500C5 version 1.xx Micron D9 and Elpida SR Modules which are supported up to and including 2.2v.

There are also some few TWIN2X2048-8500C5 Qimonda DRAM version 2.xx modules that are supported at 2.15v.

All you have to do is look at the stickers on your modules for the actual voltage and timings that your modules have been tested with. Then set to these values in your BIOS.
I found this post earlier when I was looking around the net. My sticker says it's version 1.1 with timings of 5-5-5-15-2T, 2.1v. Is it really ok to up the voltage beyond that to test it? Was your stick also the same version?

·
Registered
505 Posts
well its the same risk that you take with any overclocking

im looking at this as more of lets get the ram working

but i guess if its under warranty and its not performing at the factory specs, you could rma

1 - 8 of 8 Posts