Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Giga**** line through comcast (sucks but it's all I got )

When plugged directly into This modem, I have about 960-1100 Mb/s
If I use a switch or the router I purchased as a passthrough as it only has 1 port for ethernet on the modem, it drops the signal by half.
Seeing as the switch is a gigabyte switch, and the router is just a pass through and capable of 1300Mb/s over wifi, I'm confused on why this is happening. I tried replaces cables, I installed the switch to check this issue as well, and I've even tried upgrading my router to a better more expensive model.

Nothing really seems to be working and I'm at a loss.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
Its probably your router, and no it will not run at 1.3gb/s over wifi. That is just a theoretical speed capability in a specialized testing room with interference blocking walls and a vacuum inside the room.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its probably your router, and no it will not run at 1.3gb/s over wifi. That is just a theoretical speed capability in a specialized testing room with interference blocking walls and a vacuum inside the room.
I am not running over wifi. Wifi is basically just for my smart TV's. I'm using it as a pass-through however. It has 4 "gigabyte" Ethernet ports on it hooked up to the singular one on the modem. I am trying to run it hardwired from the router, to the modem.

I replaced the Router using a gigabit switch and ran into the same issue, leading me to believe either both the router and the switch aren't really even close to gigabit, or something else is wrong.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Hard to understand what the issue is, you were talking about wifi at the start but now you are saying it has nothing to do with wifi...

If you are worried that you are not seeing gigabit networking through your router, just plug two computers (preferably with ssd's) into 2 of the gigabit ethernet ports (don't worry about connecting up the modem), and transfer a file between them (ssd to ssd, something large). If you are not seeing 100+MB/s transfer then maybe there is an issue with the router.

Still not sure exactly what the issue is that you are having though? Maybe take all your other devices off the wifi network and just test with 1 device on the network at a time, other devices will use some of your bandwidth. Also how are you testing?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to understand what the issue is, you were talking about wifi at the start but now you are saying it has nothing to do with wifi...

If you are worried that you are not seeing gigabit networking through your router, just plug two computers (preferably with ssd's) into 2 of the gigabit ethernet ports (don't worry about connecting up the modem), and transfer a file between them (ssd to ssd, something large). If you are not seeing 100+MB/s transfer then maybe there is an issue with the router.

Still not sure exactly what the issue is that you are having though? Maybe take all your other devices off the wifi network and just test with 1 device on the network at a time, other devices will use some of your bandwidth. Also how are you testing?
I'm confused on how you do not understand.

I have a gigabit internet line. It comes into my house through the modem.

The modem has 1 Ethernet port.

From that Ethernet port, it goes to a router. It does this so that
1.) My house can have wifi
2.) 4 devices can be hooked up hard wired through the router, as to avoid having gaming PC's on wifi.

When I connect directly to the modem and eliminate the router - I get 1100Mb/s.
When I hook up the router, so that I can actually have wifi and more than 1 PC connect via ethernet (as the router has 4 Ethernet ports, which the modem does not), I get about 500Mb/s.

This issue occurs regardless of other devices turned on or using data.

In order to eliminate the issue of router being faulty, I decided to test having the Ethernet pass through a switch. Using the switch, I would at least be able to have both my gaming PC's go through a 1 gigabit ethernet line.

However the same issue occurs. Again, during this test - no router was hooked up. Just modem -to- switch -to- PC.

The next step was eliminating the issue of multiple devices being hooked up, I only installed a switch with only my PC hooked up to it.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
It cant work with no router. With just a modem and switch you have no way of doing the necessary routing to test your speed coming in, and you have no way to give devices DHCP addresses, and you have no way to use NAT to have multiple devices connect to the internet. You also cannot get 1.1gb/s through a gigabit port. After overhead of regular Ethernet you would be looking around 980mb/s maximum.
So I am not sure how you are testing or what devices you are really using, but what you said cannot be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts