Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Linux Gamer
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR: The logic board was corroded and it seems clear that its shot, but being a Mac newb, I want to make sure there's nothing else I can try.

Details: A friend gave me a mid 2009 Macbook Pro to troubleshoot. I'm told it was exposed to water in the past, then the issues began. It wouldn't boot at all; no signs of life whatsoever. Opening it up, the logic board was full of corrosion, especially around the power connections.

I cleaned all the corrosion off. Now it will start up and remain powered for 5 seconds or so. It gets to "loading kernel cache" or something like that, then shuts down. After removing the battery and holding down the power button for a bit to discharge, it will repeat the same start up behavior

What I've tried (Nothing helped):
Clearing the smc
Holding option
Holding shift

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

· Linux Gamer
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

Replace the motherboard? Should find a broken macbook on ebay for parts. The corrosion probably got in somewhere you can't clean/fix.
My thoughts exactly.
smile.gif

True, maybe worth replacing the board...haven't had time to look at thespecs or prices yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

pull the motherboard back out. give it another good cleaning with rubbing alcohol

this time use a UV light and check around any capacitors and around the connections for the battery
Clever. Never heard of using UV.

I was hesitant to scrub too much around the caps (used an old toothbrush and alc.), and could've missed some gunk. I'll give it another go today and then update the thread.

Maybe worth noting the board makes noises when powered (like the tapping of water droplets from a leaky faucet hitting the basin)...probably should see where its coming from. Having a hard time doing so.

Great ideas, thank you. Appreciate the replies.

· Linux Gamer
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried using a UV (black) light, re-cleaned with alcohol,saturating it and scrubbing more thoroughly, especially the power connections/caps etc, but no change.

Also couldn't determine where the noise was coming from.
doh.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.