Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, guys. First of all I'll start with my specs.

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W PSU
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Motherboard
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996768
Seagate Barracude 1TB HDD (SATA)

EDIT: Also, my Video Card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770, but I haven't even connected it yet due to the PSU not even turning on.

For some reason my PSU isn't turning on when I try to power up the computer. I'm not sure if the system panel connectors could cause this, but i'm pretty much sure i hooked those up right.

It's been a few years since I built my last computer, so I have another question. On the motherboard I currently have, I connect one of the 4x4 CPU pins to the motherboard 12v EXT spot correct? Where do the other three that the PSU have go?

Any help would be appreciated

-The Noob.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Did you plug in the CPU to the outlet? and connect the 12V ATX motherboard plug? And connect both 4pin 12v to the motherboard. You have a 8pin connector so put the 2x4pin together and connect them.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by asa.prevost
View Post

Hello, guys. First of all I'll start with my specs.

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W PSU
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Motherboard
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996768
Seagate Barracude 1TB HDD (SATA)

EDIT: Also, my Video Card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770, but I haven't even connected it yet due to the PSU not even turning on.

For some reason my PSU isn't turning on when I try to power up the computer. I'm not sure if the system panel connectors could cause this, but i'm pretty much sure i hooked those up right.

It's been a few years since I built my last computer, so I have another question. On the motherboard I currently have, I connect one of the 4x4 CPU pins to the motherboard 12v EXT spot correct? Where do the other three that the PSU have go?

Any help would be appreciated

-The Noob.

The problem is that your PSU isn't turning on?

I'd like you to try it from outside the rig.

Unplug every cable from your parts, and use a piece of wire to short the green wire to any black wire on the 24-pin ATX connector.

Then plug the PSU in to a wall socket and see if it turns on.

If it turns on when isolated from your rig, I suspect a short in your rig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyFenix View Post
Did you plug in the CPU to the outlet? and connect the 12V ATX motherboard plug? And connect both 4pin 12v to the motherboard. You have a 8pin connector so put the 2x4pin together and connect them.
I did plug the CPU into the outlet right next to where the heatsink and everything is installed.

The 12V ATX motherboard plug is located where?

I do have two of the four 2x4 pins connected, but there is still two more.

EDIT: When I do try to power on, while switching the power supply to off, it does make a very faint tick. That doesn't mean it's shorted does it?

EDIT 2: Also, the system panel connectors need to be connected to cause the power to turn on right? I'm having a hard time connecting those because the lettering is so small and half the damn words cover two or sometimes three spots.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Its the 20+4 pin that goes to your motherboard

Make sure the breaker on the psu is in the correct positon (toward the -- and not the O)

And make sure the psu has the correct voltage selected (110 or 220)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post
Its the 20+4 pin that goes to your motherboard

Make sure the breaker on the psu is in the correct positon (toward the -- and not the O)

And make sure the psu has the correct voltage selected (110 or 220)

There is no voltage selector on the outside... I haven't looked on the inside.

I do believe the Silent Pro 1000w has features automatic full range (100V-240V) AC line voltage selection, as is the case with most modern power supplies.

EDIT: I have the fan that is on the top of the case running to PWR_FAN, the fan to the rear of the case to CHA_FAN, the PSU to EATXPWR, CPU fan to CPU_FAN, and also have the PSU connected to EATX12v using two 2+4 connectors and still have two more from the PSU. Hopefully someone can find what I'm doing wrong.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Does your mb have a power indicator? A little LED to show it has power?

I bet you have the power on backwards. Take something metal and bridge the pins for power on and see if it boots

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Does your mb have a power indicator? A little LED to show it has power?

I bet you have the power on backwards. Take something metal and bridge the pins for power on and see if it boots

Can you explain that in simple terms? I'm a little lost.

What connections do I have backwards? Can't I just switch them?

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Make sure the colored wire is on the + power button and the black wire is on the -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Make sure the colored wire is on the + power button and the black wire is on the -

Are you talking about the system panel connectors?

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by asa.prevost View Post
Are you talking about the system panel connectors?
Yes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe the system panel connectors go in this order from left to right:

IDE LED (for the HDD I'm assuming....), +P LED, and -P LED...

EDIT: Problem is I can't find a diagram for which connectors go to which prongs... It's honestly confusing me... Never had this many issues with a motherboard or a PSU for that matter. Only the + and the - connectors have to be connected to the system panel for the PSU to turn on right? I'm not even worried about the motherboard or anything right now. I just want that damned PSU to turn on.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
touch something metal to the + and - for power and see if it fires up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

touch something metal to the + and - for power and see if it fires up
The the prongs on the motherboard? That's the problem, the diagram on the motherboard itself is so jumbled up, to be honest, I don't even know if I'm putting them on the correct prongs. I mean, I'm not a ****** by any means, but I am seriously starting to doubt myself lol.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
System panel wiring:

HAF 932 system cable colors (of each wire pair):

H.D.D. LED:....... Red + / White -
P.LED:............... Green + / White -
Power Switch:.. Orange + / White -
Reset Switch:.... Blue + / White -

Note: White is always - (ground)

Connection - cable colors:

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
oh tehe, maybe you got the +/- mixed up on the power botton. on the pic described above, if you think you have them in the right way, flip them around. xD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

oh tehe, maybe you got the +/- mixed up on the power botton. on the pic described above, if you think you have them in the right way, flip them around. xD

I followed that diagram, still no power. I swapped the + and - around opposite the diagram, didn't work.

As for the person who posted about the paper clip, there is no black wire.

·
Banned
2,598 Posts

I see several black wires on the 20+4 connector. Find the green wire, place one end of the paperclip in the hole, then place the other end into a black wire hole. This "fools" the PSU into thinking it is connected to a mobo. Plug in PSU and turn on. If it turns on, PSU is fine. If it does not, PSU is dead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts