Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Last week there was no escaping news of the latest data breach. The LinkedIn hack of 2012 which we thought had "only" exposed 6.5M password hashes (not even the associated email addresses so in practice, useless data), was now being sold on the dark web. It was allegedly 167 million accounts and for a mere 5 bitcoins (about US$2.2k) you could jump over to the Tor-based trading site, pay your Bitcoins and retrieve what is one of the largest data breaches ever to hit the airwaves. But this is not a straightforward incident for many reasons and there are numerous issues raised by the data itself and the nature of the hack.
Source

Comment from LinkedIn

According to have I been pwned that's the largest data breach we've seen so far.

·
Registered
779 Posts
that's bad. i don't even remember what my pw was in 2012 at least

·
Ultra wide wide wide.....
5,277 Posts
If you were Linkedin, it's time to link out.

• Rep+
Reactions: leetmode and hokk

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

If you were Linkedin, it's time to link out.
y u gotta make Link sad?
mad.gif

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
It's hard to create a successful company these days without people with nothing to do try to tear it down.
At least before computers, it was "easier" to identify who the enemy was and to personally go after them.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post

It's hard to create a successful company these days without people with nothing to do try to tear it down.
At least before computers, it was "easier" to identify who the enemy was and to personally go after them.
Yes, poor LinkedIn.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
i've been constantly told that im paranoid for not having any social networking accounts, this is proof as to why not.

online sites would one day inevitably be hack and the question is when.

good luck putting the genie back in the bottle when everyone has a copy for safe keeping

·
WaterCooler
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

i've been constantly told that im paranoid for not having any social networking accounts, this is proof as to why not.

good luck putting the genie back in the bottle when everyone has a copy for safe keeping
To be fair though, LinkedIn is in my opinion one of the few if any social networking sites worth being a part of. Far more than the likes of FB/Twitter ever will.

I pretty much built it up enough that I now passively get offered positions/interviews on a weekly basis. I got my last few jobs through LinkedIn as well. And none of it was me actively looking.

·
WaterCooler
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

PhD and fluent in 32 different languages on my LinkedIn...oh sorry, hackers added that to my profile, my bad.
Including Elvish and Klingon!
lachen.gif

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylzer View Post

There is a torrent of this or so i've heard.

EDIT: 10/10 pun ^^
I wonder about the legality of that torrent. The data isnt theirs, so those distributing will get in trouble, but those downloading I think are in the clear. If someone finds out you have the data, they can force you to remove it, but you cant get fined or anything for it. BUT, I cant remember if you get in trouble if you know the goods were stolen or not.

Also i wonder how long it will take them to crack the hashed passwords. While linkedin reset tall the passwords for the users that were breached, they still need to go trough all the other sites and change those. Tedious...

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

A lot of tech places I know only hire through LinkedIn now though, so good luck in the future

·
Slave to IaaS
2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post

To be fair though, LinkedIn is in my opinion one of the few if any social networking sites worth being a part of. Far more than the likes of FB/Twitter ever will.

I pretty much built it up enough that I now passively get offered positions/interviews on a weekly basis. I got my last few jobs through LinkedIn as well. And none of it was me actively looking.
Agreed on this one. As long as your profile is fully fleshed out and the content you have on it is of sufficient quality then it's a fantastic platform for job hunting in the tech sector.
Anybody with a decent amount of experience could get more than a handful of interviews within a week with very little effort.
Then again 'the man' might be watching your account and decide to hack your smart fridge to listen to you talking in your kitchen due to your technical know-how being a threat to the state.

EDIT: According to the source LinkedIn weren't salting their passwords, that's a pretty major oversight on their part and I wonder why it occurred. Surely somebody looking at the documentation would've realised that they'd missed out a small (read major) aspect of their account management system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts