Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a True Extreme 120 and the i7 965.
I have a 70cfm fan pushing air through the True.

Motherboard is at 36c.
i965 at 1.28vcore running at 3.9g
6g memory

At idle temps are 39c
At stress (Prime95) they hover around 70c

That seems high for the True. Is it?

Secondly, I noticed that the surface of the True is not a smooth surface like my Zalman coolers are. It looks more like brushed metal (hard to explain but looks like it has ridges). I thought these things are supposed to have smooth surfaces?

Lastly, I did reseat the thing and made sure that there was not too much AS5 on it.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Its normal to have the ridges on the base... its just the manufacturing process, in which they mill the bases... it'll almost feel like ripples on the base

Most of the time, TRUE's have very convex bases... I suggest you lap it... it'll shave off 2-4C, or even more, depending on how uneven the base is...

As for the temps, 70C seems slightly high... you may want to reseat the TRUE, and maybe add a washer mod to increase the pressure on the CPU

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks
I guess I expected a bit better without the trouble of lapping...well, now I have a sunday project.

+reps

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I feel silly for having one, and not knowing what the thermal limits of the i7 is. What is considered the max temps allowed?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErBall View Post
I feel silly for having one, and not knowing what the thermal limits of the i7 is. What is considered the max temps allowed?
Personally, i don't let any IC go over 65c.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts