Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Ok, i took my rig to the shop and ask them to install the heatsink. They also mounted 2x ultra kaze scythe fans on the front and back of the heatsink as well. Today when i brought the rig home, windows detected cpu error. Im using Asus rampage 2 gene mobo. I dont know if this problem is normal, becuase they actually flash my bios ( i dont know why the heck they would do that for)! As a result, my raid 1 mirror detected over 155 errors right now. I had to set back to raid in bios becuase everything in the bios seems to be at default now.

However, i dont know if they're connected to the right spot on the mobo since they're running ok atm. Could this be a problem with bios? Or maybe plugged in wrong spot? And why do my raid detected so many errors? So right now, i dont even know if everyhting is ok or not. Can someone pls help me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,914 Posts
if you have a CPU fan error just plug a fan into the cpu fan header, or just tell the mobo to not stop on any errors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

if you have a CPU fan error just plug a fan into the cpu fan header, or just tell the mobo to not stop on any errors

Well, the fans are working. Right now my raid is mess up. What could had cuased this problem? Was it becuase they flash my bios? And they also had to unscrew the mobo out and everyhting too, inorder to mount the backplate of the heatsink onto the mobo. So this could had cuase the hard drive to mess up. Anyway, my intel matrix storage is fixing this issue atm, so this should be ok.

Ok, so i should disabled the fan error in bios. The error message might go away, but does it mean i could overclock now? Becuase i dont want to overclock if my fan still have deteced error. if the error go away, is it safe to overclock now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Well, we can't really tell you if it's ok to overclock without temps. I say it would be ok as long as your cpu tempatures are ok. Use speedfan to monitor them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Wonder why they flashed the BIOS?

What version bios did you have before they got their hands on it?
And what v BIOS on it now?

I have a gene , no raid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Umm, they told me they flash it back just before i bought the rig home ( i just called them). Right now the bios is 0904. They flashed it back to see if the fan error would go away. But it still detected the same problem. Not sure if this is normal but i guess i'll just have to disabled this in the bios. Right now my raid is still correcting errors.

In addition, i told them to mount the heatsink right... and i also told them to overclock it. But **** they aint do **** to it. Got me mad and disappointed. Normally in the bios inside the CPU frequency, it should tell you what ghz the CPU is at.... I look there and **** it is still 2.67. I ran CPUz and **** it is still 2.67. All they told me was " We set the BLCK Freq to 4000mhz".... Becuase i told them i want to get 4.0 ghz. And that was it??? LOL!!!! They didnt raise volts or nothing. Ima call them back up tomorrow. Btw, the heatsink comes with anti vibration strip.. hell, they didnt even use that. not sure if it is recommend but yeah...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by djcreation
View Post

Hi,

Umm, they told me they flash it back just before i bought the rig home ( i just called them). Right now the bios is 0904. They flashed it back to see if the fan error would go away. But it still detected the same problem. Not sure if this is normal but i guess i'll just have to disabled this in the bios. Right now my raid is still correcting errors.

I'm sorry I don't know what "flash it back" refers to?

To flash you use EZFLASH 2 in bios not asus update.
or
Set BIOS to default
or
flash back to earlier version bios

I have 0601 dated DEC 2008.
Don't over clock till you get this error located.
If you turn something off(disable fan warning,etc.) in BIOS you might fry something.

Get coretemp or realtemp for temps b4 overclock.
(who knows what TIM the shop used on cpu?)

In bios
POWER menu/Hardware monitor/fan speed monitor
CPU fan speed should be there (rpm)

Also, in POWER menu/hardware monitor/temperature monitor>
set NB & SB overheat to 90c not 100c (default).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by M1 Abrams View Post
I'm sorry I don't know what "flash it back" refers to?

To flash you use EZFLASH 2 in bios not asus update.
or
Set BIOS to default
or
flash back to earlier version bios

I have 0601 dated DEC 2008.
Don't over clock till you get this error located.
If you turn something off(disable fan warning,etc.) in BIOS you might fry something.

Get coretemp or realtemp for temps b4 overclock.
(who knows what TIM the shop used on cpu?)

In bios
POWER menu/Hardware monitor/fan speed monitor
CPU fan speed should be there (rpm)

Also, in POWER menu/hardware monitor/temperature monitor>
set NB & SB overheat to 90c not 100c (default).
They did a flash on bios. Then, they turn the computer off for 5 min for something.. i guess flashback or something.. or maybe go back to default settings or go back the prior bios version? Or however u call it.

Right now realtemp shows:

temperature C:

43, 42, 42, 39

Distance to TJ max:

58, 58, 58, 61

Minimun:

42, 42, 42, 39

Maximum:

43, 47, 43, 40

Thermal Status is OK

Is this good?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,914 Posts
I think that since they flashed your BIOS to a newer version, It screwed up your RAID and even if you go back to the original, it still has errors produced by the flashing.

that is what I think happened to your RAID array. dont know what the fan warning thing is though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by ben h
View Post

hmmm
im still wondering y u would take it in for them 2 instal cpu cooler

Becuase its my first built and it has just completed mounting everyhting inside the case. At the time i didnt have an after market cooler. I was using stock cooler. So i waited 2 weeks after the rig was finished and i bought an after market cooler. I didnt know how to install and overclock, so i took it to the shop and let them do it. And obviously they cant even do it right. Im still disppointed at them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

I think that since they flashed your BIOS to a newer version, It screwed up your RAID and even if you go back to the original, it still has errors produced by the flashing.

that is what I think happened to your RAID array. dont know what the fan warning thing is though


Yes, i believe so too. And about the fan error, im not sure if they plug it right onto the mobo. I would have to look the manual where the right place is. Either this, or the bios is not detecting the fans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, i think i found the problem. they didnt conect the fans into the cpu fan header on the mobo. they use a molex to connect it straight to the power supply. this may cuase hardware error. Now my question is, is it fine to leave it like this? both fans are runnning fine though. could i disabled this error in the bios and then continue to overclock? what do u guys think?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top