Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 849 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RESULTS
CPU settings for testing:
Q6600 @ 3703 MHz 1.36 vcore(CPU is lapped)
Testing will be run for 15 min. Prime95 small FFTs.
20C Ambient temperature. CPU temps recorded with Core Temp 0.99.4 (100C TJmax)
IC7 diamond TIM.

Testing completed.

COMPLETED TESTS

--Lapped/Pressure modded cooler results. Temperature in C.
TRUE wins again, but the margin is closer. The Noctua really benefited from being lapped.


--Unlapped coolers with San Ace 1011, and noctua fan. Temperature in C.
TRUE still leads by a bunch, no matter if it's a high CFM or low CFM fan. Xig and Noctua are about equal on low CFM fan, with the Xig pulling away a bit with a high CFM fan.

--Out Of Box Testing Temperatures in C
Well...I didn't see this coming. The TRUE smokes them..not even close.













Unboxing Pics







The CPU Coolers:

1) TRUE <<<Thanks to beret9987!
2) Noctua NH-U12P
3) Xigmatek Dark Knight <<<Thanks to redalert!

The Fans:

1) Noctua NF-P12-1300
2) Yate Loon (High Speed) <<<Thanks to Valicious!
3) San Ace 1011

TIM:
IC7 Diamond
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippit View Post
I would... just for the sake of the end of the discussion.
This is what i was thinking. One person says this, another says that. There's information saying both are better than the other, but yet no site does a "proper" review in my eyes.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
none,

Zalman 9900
 

· Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
yeah some review website did this they did out of the box testing with the V8, TRUE, nh12p sse 1366 and a few others (fresh out of the box only) but not as in-depth as what your asking for, i might be able to find it.

EDIT: found 1 review http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...i7-cooler.html again, not exactly what your looking for
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
lulz
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
40,824 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by XeRion View Post
yeah some review website did this they did out of the box testing with the V8, TRUE, nh12p sse 1366 and a few others (fresh out of the box only) but not as in-depth as what your asking for, i might be able to find it.
Yeah, i know some sites have done reviews, but all are considered questionable by many, as they always get different results. My test would be conducted with both coolers unmodded then modded, and with a low speed, medium speed, and high speed fan. That way there will be no question of which, if either are better.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
How? I would love to lower temps slightly, or reduce my core #1 temp it runs 3c hotter than others.
Go to the hardware store and find some small washers that will fit the screws. Now, when you screw down the cooler, take the screw and add the washers ( i have 3 on each side) to the screw and THEN put the spring on. This will create more pressure on the spring once you screw it into place. Helped my temps by 1-2C.

Crude drawing lol
I hope this gives you a better idea. I can't take a picture of it unless i take the mobo out of my case, which isn't happening for a couple of days.

__< screw head
.- < put washers here
.- < then spring will sit here
.-
.-
.-
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
Yeah, i know some sites have done reviews, but all are considered questionable by many, as they always get different results. My test would be conducted with both coolers unmodded then modded, and with a low speed, medium speed, and high speed fan. That way there will be no question of which, if either are better.
that would be the only true way to get true comparison between the two
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So for the fans, how does this sound?

Low speed: Noctua NF-P12 1300 (fan that comes with the noctua)

Med speed: Antec Tri Cool on High speed

High speed: San Ace 1011

I also could do push/pull setups with the low or med. speed fans, but not with the high speed unless someone has a 1011 they don't want or need.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,983 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
Go to the hardware store and find some small washers that will fit the screws. Now, when you screw down the cooler, take the screw and add the washers ( i have 3 on each side) to the screw and THEN put the spring on. This will create more pressure on the spring once you screw it into place. Helped my temps by 1-2C.
Ok I get what you mean, thanks.

You remember what kind of washers you got
Now only to get my lazy butt up and go get them.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Ok I get what you mean, thanks.

You remember what kind of washers you got
Now only to get my lazy butt up and go get them.
I can't remember what size they were..sorry lol. They're stainless steel washers..i know that!


I just took one of the screws to the hardware store with me and test fitted some until i found one i liked, then bought some. I'd get 6 or 8.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,385 Posts
i could offer myself to test the TRUE, mine is lapped, but i just have to do the washer mod, and i assume the ultra kaze 3000 rpm with 133 cfm is more than enough, so, if anyone is willing to slap a kaze on a noctua, and test it on a Q6600 at different speeds, il be glad to test it
 
1 - 20 of 849 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top