Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna try out using Truecrypt but it's really confusing, I tried reading the guide but I'm not sure what to do and how it works. I want to put a password on a USB device.

What's a volume?

Can someone explain how I do it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
A truecrypt is 'volume' is an basically encrypted file on the disk. TC will mount that file and make it appear as another drive.

When you go to 'create volume' you can use the full size of the jumpdrive, or you can specify a split (8gb drive, 4gb=locked, 4gb=unlocked).

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Just follow the wizard you get when you start it... it's very easy...

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
There's two ways to use TrueCrypt:

1. Container
2. Volume

You want to make an encrypt container if you just want a place to store your files securely. Every time you want to access the container, you will have to mount it.

A volume is encrypting a whole partition.

Just follow the wizard, it's pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
Container -> This is a File (you'll be able to see it on your thumb drive or HDD) that is encrypted. The presmise behind this is that you need to have space to put your things in. Easiest way to understand would be to use an anology.

Imagine that you have a filing cabinet with 4 drawers. You could put a lock on just one drawer (this would be a container) so that you now have 1 locked drawer, and 3 open drawers. You could also choose to install a lock on the filing cabinet itself (volume). When you create a continer it takes up the ammount of space that you specify (1, 2, or 3 drawers) and locks it. Once you've unlocked them you can put things inside, but while they're locked the space is unuseable. If you lock the volume you can't use any of the space until you unlock it. So if you want your whole USB stick to be locked (can't use it at all without unlocking it) then you want to encrypt the volume. If you just want some space to put things in, then you'd just create a continer. Then you'd be able to use the left over space on the USB stick without having to unlock it, but to get to the files in the continer you'll need to provide the password.

that help?

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,604 Posts
Did a TON of sudying before actually attempting... here's my approach - what I wanted... what I have now, and I'm asking for advice.

350 w/Vista x64 unencrypted. Boot loader give an option of Vista or Mint (fake - I uninstalled, can't fix MBR yet)

250 w/XP x64

1.5 TB w/ new install of Ubuntu - partitioned all out.....

1 TB play drive (external) - open to suggestions on what to do with this.

So, the goal was to switch in bios from the 350 (main drive) to the 1.5 TB (w/bootloader)....

On the 1.5 - I wanted it totally encrypted with a hidden OS.

On the 1 TB - I was going to leave 500 unencrypted - and encrypt the other 500 with a copy of Ubuntu on it.....

1 TB is holding all my backup data, I installed Ubuntu first figuring - get it on and configured - THEN try Truecrypt.

So I wanted to encrypt an entire partition, clone Ubuntu and hide it. But when I went to do so, I was really worried I'd wipe Ubuntu (which was a pain to install for the linux noob)... and ended up making a Truecypt container with 700GB. Now I'm at work....

So.... can I still create my hidden OS in within the 700 GB and still create a bootloader so the whole drive's encrypted? Will it mess with the GRUB loader already on there?

Or should I just be happy with the 700 and toss everything in there and shut up?

I really wanted an incognito OS....that would be ballsy! Then I'd make it mobile by cloning it on the 1 TB drive that is external.

Totalling around 6 OS's on one machine - BLAM!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gill.. View Post

On the 1 TB - I was going to leave 500 unencrypted - and encrypt the other 500 with a copy of Ubuntu on it.....
Check out this blog post. Maybe that's what you're looking for? It shows how to hide Ubuntu in a Truecrypt partition. The only thing I wonder about is how does one boot from it? The boot partition can't be encrypted. Of course, you could use a USB stick and put the boot partition on that, but that's a lot of trouble.

What I do is just use dm-crypt/LUKS to encrypt my whole hard disk. The only thing is that it doesn't give plausible deniability. You can encrypt the whole hard disk easily with the Ubuntu "alternate CD." And you can follow the instructions here.

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,604 Posts
thanks man - I'll look at them tonight and report back - appreciate the links.

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,604 Posts
Hey, thiussat - not knocking you - but nah - didn't help.

That thread just dealt with the hidden volume, not the OS or Ubuntu copy. Truecrypts own documentation lays out the scene - you put the OS within the hidden volume - but since it's hidden, hence the OS is - ......but this is all after you've created the regular TC volume. (In effect it IS the partitioning piece of software - IT partitions the "TC" volume - and I'm thinking it's its own partition with its own name (properties show it as a "virtual device" in /dev/mapper/TC6 ..but address location is /home/myname/crappy name I gave the folder/....)

Since that volume itself (the regular), the rest of the data (unused) is always filled with garbage - the effect of (1 of) TC's methods of "encryption". So that area is where both a.)the hidden volume and b.)the hidden OS within that volume.....

I think I'm on the right path - the Wizard, TC documentation and graphs and stuff are pretty good. I was just scared the way the Wizard walks you through....

I think i now go back to wizard - create the hidden volume....and a further option will ask about the hidden OS option. It then I hope automates a cloning of the OS that you launch TC from (in this case Ubuntu).

Maybe that thread was changed, or we're thinking different things...

Only thing I should have done (still will do after this post)...is jump back into Windows (Vista)...go to disk management and write down the names (physical - sbd, sbd1 etc...) and what the heck they REALLY contain.

Then jump back to Ubuntu - fire up TC....and hope to god I don't screw it up.

The hidden OS option then loads a "Pre-boot loader" behind the system partition, but before the regular TC partition....both of which are unencrypted....that's how you get it to boot....from what I can tell from the documentation

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gill.. View Post
Hey, thiussat - not knocking you - but nah - didn't help.

That thread just dealt with the hidden volume, not the OS or Ubuntu copy. Truecrypts own documentation lays out the scene - you put the OS within the hidden volume - but since it's hidden, hence the OS is - ......but this is all after you've created the regular TC volume. (In effect it IS the partitioning piece of software - IT partitions the "TC" volume - and I'm thinking it's its own partition with its own name (properties show it as a "virtual device" in /dev/mapper/TC6 ..but address location is /home/myname/crappy name I gave the folder/....)
Yeah, I always just use dm-crypt-LUKS for whole disk encryption. The only difference in it and Truecrypt is it doesn't hide the volume. But I don't care about hidden volumes because they will have to pry my password out of my cold dead brain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts