Overclock.net banner

Truecrypt help

1188 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  thiussat
I wanna try out using Truecrypt but it's really confusing, I tried reading the guide but I'm not sure what to do and how it works. I want to put a password on a USB device.

What's a volume?

Can someone explain how I do it?

Thanks.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gill.. View Post

On the 1 TB - I was going to leave 500 unencrypted - and encrypt the other 500 with a copy of Ubuntu on it.....
Check out this blog post. Maybe that's what you're looking for? It shows how to hide Ubuntu in a Truecrypt partition. The only thing I wonder about is how does one boot from it? The boot partition can't be encrypted. Of course, you could use a USB stick and put the boot partition on that, but that's a lot of trouble.

What I do is just use dm-crypt/LUKS to encrypt my whole hard disk. The only thing is that it doesn't give plausible deniability. You can encrypt the whole hard disk easily with the Ubuntu "alternate CD." And you can follow the instructions here.

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gill.. View Post
Hey, thiussat - not knocking you - but nah - didn't help.

That thread just dealt with the hidden volume, not the OS or Ubuntu copy. Truecrypts own documentation lays out the scene - you put the OS within the hidden volume - but since it's hidden, hence the OS is - ......but this is all after you've created the regular TC volume. (In effect it IS the partitioning piece of software - IT partitions the "TC" volume - and I'm thinking it's its own partition with its own name (properties show it as a "virtual device" in /dev/mapper/TC6 ..but address location is /home/myname/crappy name I gave the folder/....)
Yeah, I always just use dm-crypt-LUKS for whole disk encryption. The only difference in it and Truecrypt is it doesn't hide the volume. But I don't care about hidden volumes because they will have to pry my password out of my cold dead brain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.