Overclock.net banner

TRUNAS setup

1263 Views 30 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  kairi_zeroblade
I picked up a mini PC and I plan to setup a NAS/Plex server. Everything is in the mail but the planed setup is x1 1TB NVME and x2 2TB SATA SSD. I also plan on connecting a USB 2TB HDD.

Question: for TRUNAS, what would be the best filesystem setup for the three SSDs? For the most part, the SSDs will host a Plex server and the USB HDD will be used for misc file stowage / backup.

Thanks!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Docker. if you have a capable hardware, it should be fine, I had issues with PLEX with a J series quadcore lol..
Yeah I only have a quad core but it has quicksync and its an 11th gen so I hope to be good...

Enabling the hardware acceleration looks like a chore on Docker but I'll keep reading through the articles.

· Cheesebumps!!
3,802 Posts
Yeah I only have a quad core but it has quicksync and its an 11th gen so I hope to be good...

Enabling the hardware acceleration looks like a chore on Docker but I'll keep reading through the articles.
mine's 7th gen i3 I use quicksync..(via Intel HD graphics, though I have plans to get a cheap 1050 for encoding/decoding)

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
mine's 7th gen i3 I use quicksync..(via Intel HD graphics, though I have plans to get a cheap 1050 for encoding/decoding)
Ok, got it setup and Snapraid configure with the two 2TB SSD's and the USB 2TB HDD as parity. Now can I / should I / how do I make a SMB share of the two SSD's to show as one drive?

Also, anyone familiar with Opnsense?

Here's my network. Using a 6-port mini Firewall PC with Opnsense and I'm having trouble figuring out how to configure it so that the seperate LAN ports are all discoverable in windows. My laptop connected to the router access port can see/discover all of the other connected devices but I can't see anything connected to the other ports. I can't see the OMV NAS and can't access the SMB share.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

· Cheesebumps!!
3,802 Posts
Now can I / should I / how do I make a SMB share of the two SSD's to show as one drive?
After configuring snapraid you can download mergerfs, it allows you to join the 2 data drives you assigned in snapraid into 1 visible drive.
Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Number

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Circle

After that you can now setup Additional Users which will access the share via SMB.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

Next step is, add the merged filesystem to your shared folders.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

Then, under services enable SMB/CIFS service and the name of the shared directory (from a dropdown that is populated automatically with the shared folders) and copy these settings
Font Rectangle Parallel Paper Document

And save.

To access the shared directory, just map the network drive with your servername\shareddirectoryname and you are done!!

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After configuring snapraid you can download mergerfs, it allows you to join the 2 data drives you assigned in snapraid into 1 visible drive.
View attachment 2584180

View attachment 2584181

After that you can now setup Additional Users which will access the share via SMB.

View attachment 2584182

Next step is, add the merged filesystem to your shared folders.
View attachment 2584183

Then, under services enable SMB/CIFS service and the name of the shared directory (from a dropdown that is populated automatically with the shared folders) and copy these settings
View attachment 2584185

And save.

To access the shared directory, just map the network drive with your servername\shareddirectoryname and you are done!!
Thanks! Will work it tonight.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This is the part where I have issue. In Opnsense I need to bridge the LAN ports or get a network switch. I think I'm going to get a switch.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hmmm..that is kinda weird from Opnsense..can your router act as a bridge instead?
So everything connected to my wifi router is discoverable (printer, TV, etc...) but it only has 1Gbps ports. The NAS and my PC are both connected to the Opnsense firewall at 2.5Gbps. A switch would work but that's another $120 for a 5 port 2.5Gbps switch.

Im trying the UDP Broadcast Relay plugin with Opnsense which is supposed to work but I'm having trouble configuring it.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hmmm..that is kinda weird from Opnsense..can your router act as a bridge instead?
I had to bridge the ports but I got everything working; thanks for the help!

Watched some Plex TV last night; now I need to get down to ripping my DVD library. This will takes weeks...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts