2,512 Posts
what about Asus Zenith Extreme II?

·
Hardware Princess
1,848 Posts

·
Old dog, likes new tricks
2,438 Posts
I'd be leaning Gigabyte. They've done good work with X570, BIOSes are updated frequently, access to beta versions, etc. Asus has fallen down lately it seems. I loved my Crosshair 6 and 7, but they both had 'quirks' that were kinda maddening, and my CH7 has gotten progressively worse over time. I used to swear by Asus, especially in the BIOS department, but that seems to be getting worse in the last year or so. Been more impressed with Gigabyte, and that's a hard thing to say as a previous Asus fan-boy!

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Hey how is the memory support? Coming from first gen threadripper I had to really drop memory speed to get 128GB "stable" so I am curious how the new gen is performing.

Personally I am torn between the Zenith and the Aorus xtreme. I like a lot about the asus board (plenty of usb, a familiar platform etc) but the abysmal experience I have had with the first generation Zenith has left me conflicted about the platform. The Gigabyte offering on the other hand ticks a lot of boxes with the wonderful layout and clean design but at times feels oddly constrained (lower number usbc ports vs competition). I have no experience with the Gigabyte platform/ecosystem so I have to wonder what quirks lurk there.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Hey how is the memory support? Coming from first gen threadripper I had to really drop memory speed to get 128GB "stable" so I am curious how the new gen is performing.

Personally I am torn between the Zenith and the Aorus xtreme. I like a lot about the asus board (plenty of usb, a familiar platform etc) but the abysmal experience I have had with the first generation Zenith has left me conflicted about the platform. The Gigabyte offering on the other hand ticks a lot of boxes with the wonderful layout and clean design but at times feels oddly constrained (lower number usbc ports vs competition). I have no experience with the Gigabyte platform/ecosystem so I have to wonder what quirks lurk there.
Memory thing wise 3rd gen. parts cannot even be compared to the first and second gen.
The memory controller on the 3rd gen. is much more flexible than on previous parts. Not only it clocks slightly better, but is more compatible as well.
That is the case regardless if we're talking about mainstream AM4 or HEDT TRX platform.

I'm currently running 4x16GB dual rank B-die set.
It does at least 3600MHz with everything running at sync (FCLK & UCLK) 24/7 stable and is benchable at 3733MHz without making any special adjustments.
Using eight modules (2 DPC) will definitely decrease the maximum frequency somewhat, but by how much really depends on the IMC and the DIMMs themselves.

I'd expect at least 3200MHz+ to be doable on eight modules (i.e. 2 DPC) even if you run everything at sync. Unfortunately I don't have another set of these DIMMs to
test how it does using eight modules.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Thanks for the reply :). I will be very happy if I can pull the rated 3200 with eight dimms (mine are B-die). I am not looking to break any memory clock speed records just would like to get the rated speed they are capable of.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Why you removed the name of the cpu from the screenshots?
I would like to buy a 8x8GB kit, do you I like it for aesthetic reasons,
but I want 3600 cas 16, isn't this doable with 8 dimm?

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Its an ES chip.

2 DPC is not going to happen at very high frequencies, unless you set UCLK (memory controller clock) to lower speeds (1/2 ratio).

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Its an ES chip.

2 DPC is not going to happen at very high frequencies, unless you set UCLK (memory controller clock) to lower speeds (1/2 ratio).
I have seen that Corsair made some dummy kit for the purpose, pretty interesting 😁

But I can't understand why AMD says that 3600mhz cas 16 is the sweet spot.

3600c16 costs nearly the double of 3200c16.

Is it worth to spend double the money for 400mhz more?

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
My vote goes for the ASUS Zenith Extreme II
If I was, I think so too :drool: , pricing here is not as wild as I thought it may have been, ~£700.

I'd be leaning Gigabyte. They've done good work with X570, BIOSes are updated frequently, access to beta versions, etc. Asus has fallen down lately it seems. I loved my Crosshair 6 and 7, but they both had 'quirks' that were kinda maddening, and my CH7 has gotten progressively worse over time. I used to swear by Asus, especially in the BIOS department, but that seems to be getting worse in the last year or so. Been more impressed with Gigabyte, and that's a hard thing to say as a previous Asus fan-boy!
I think the AGESA caused non Zen2 owners to see issues. I had the C6H from launch til Zen+ and it was damn nice IMO, the C7H I've used with Zen+/Zen2, fare few who say wouldn't get x RAM MHz with Zen+ on C7H would blame board, I can't as Zen2 is doing 4x8GB 3800MHz C16 1T stable.

Personally I am torn between the Zenith and the Aorus xtreme. I like a lot about the asus board (plenty of usb, a familiar platform etc) but the abysmal experience I have had with the first generation Zenith has left me conflicted about the platform.
I like the ZE, only fly in the ointment was the Super IO chip, which they used again on ZEA :eek: , but on say that I was an owner of C6H, ZE, C7H and ZEA that never really suffered the Super IO chip issues; even though I used the board to control multiple fans and water pump. Even though C7H probably will support Zen3, I've invested in more PCI-E storage and changing to TR2 on ZEA and planning to sit on it.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
My vote goes for the ASUS Zenith Extreme II
If I was, I think so too /forum/images/smilies/drool.gif , pricing here is not as wild as I thought it may have been, ~£700.

I think the AGESA caused non Zen2 owners to see issues. I had the C6H from launch til Zen+ and it was damn nice IMO, the C7H I've used with Zen+/Zen2, fare few who say wouldn't get x RAM MHz with Zen+ on C7H would blame board, I can't as Zen2 is doing 4x8GB 3800MHz C16 1T stable.

Personally I am torn between the Zenith and the Aorus xtreme. I like a lot about the asus board (plenty of usb, a familiar platform etc) but the abysmal experience I have had with the first generation Zenith has left me conflicted about the platform.
I like the ZE, only fly in the ontiment was the Super IO chip, which they used again on ZEA /forum/images/smilies/redface.gif , but on say that I was an owner of C6H, ZE, C7H and ZEA that never really suffered the Super IO chip issues; even though I used the board to control multiple fans and water pump. Even though C7H probabbly will support Zen3, I've invested in more PCI-E storage and changing to TR2 on ZEA and planning to sit on it.
Zea, c7h, ze, c6h, man please stop using those numbers not everyone can read your post that way 😁

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
For me it was a platform plagued with problems. Three rma's, generally unstable daily use have left me more than underwhelmed. The experience has gotten better over time but if a thread like this gets created you know they missed the mark on release.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
For me it was a platform plagued with problems. Three rma's, generally unstable daily use have left me more than underwhelmed. The experience has gotten better over time but if a thread like this gets created you know they missed the mark on release.
I had the ZE since launch, really couldn't grumble, even at launch. Had the ZEA since launch as well. I've clocked up a lot of hours of usage on both TBH, one such example below.

Just invested in more PCI-E storage and planning on getting a ASUS Hyper X16 M.2 V2 to load it up some more.

Any how hope your TR3+TRX40 build goes well, I reckon a lot of issues on AM4/TR4 was more down to RAM and how Zen/Zen+ was and due to Zen2 differing so greatly I reckon peoples issues will be less and experience better. Just as an example RAM I used with Zen/Zen+ is clocking at 3800MHz C16 1T @ 1.35V on Zen2 and I'm using 4 dimm of 8GB SS/SR on a daisy chain dual channel board.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As someone who has had the Zenith Extreme II for awhile and also benched it not only ambient but under LN2 as well, I really enjoy this board.

Feature set is plenty for me, granted I'm just a bencher.

I've had plenty of first and second series Threadripper and originally started out with the Creation. It left alot to be desired when it came to overclocking and I swapped to the Zenith Extreme Alpha. That was a huge jump for me and I never looked back.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts